Our Lobster Rolls (K-L & SC)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pictonguy... there yuh go again... putting the poor shacks to shame!
It's a pretty lobster roll, and we do eat first with our eyes. However, lobster has such a delicate taste that once you start adding more flavorful ingredients, it's hard to taste the lobster. At $40 per pound in MA, there is nothing I would add that might overpower the flavor of lobster. Good thing I like scallops, shrimp, and crab better. Two out of three of those are still deals compared to lobster - and since we don't live in Baltimore, we don't eat crab often.

Then, I had one that was made with drawn butter instead of mayo. That was much better, for me.

CD
We like them both ways. It's like a summer lobster roll (mayo) and a winter lobster roll (warm with butter).
That's because they don't use Duke's up there 😉
Duke's Schmook's. I've tried to like Duke's since it's the choice of so many. Mehhhny. We did a taste test: Duke's, Hellman's, and Aldi's house brand side by side. Well, I did a taste test. Himself tried them and said they all tasted the same. :ermm: While I preferred Hellman's, Aldi's was so close that it is now my staple brand because of the price - except that the margin of savings has shrunk and I can sometimes score a jar of Hellman's on sale for the same (or less) than a jar of Aldi.

We like them both ways. It's like a summer lobster roll (mayo) and a winter lobster roll (warm with butter).

Duke's Schmook's. I've tried to like Duke's since it's the choice of so many. Mehhhny. We did a taste test: Duke's, Hellman's, and Aldi's house brand side by side. Well, I did a taste test. Himself tried them and said they all tasted the same. :ermm: While I preferred Hellman's, Aldi's was so close that it is now my staple brand because of the price - except that the margin of savings has shrunk and I can sometimes score a jar of Hellman's on sale for the same (or less) than a jar of Aldi.
Hm. To me, it has a nice, tangy flavor that Hellmann's lacks. The restaurant Chef and the Farmer used it by itself as a sauce for the sausage appetizer we had there. Maybe the cold up north has numbed your taste buds 😉

Me too!

Buyer’s choice is fine with me! 😉🤭🤑

I agree that Aldi’s house brand is a solid value for the money.

I grew up with Hellmann’s and still buy it when I can snag a bargain.

These days one bottle around Memorial Day lasts me until Labor Day.

Just enough to see me through the summer salad season. 🤭

Hm. To me, it has a nice, tangy flavor that Hellmann's lacks. The restaurant Chef and the Farmer used it by itself as a sauce for the sausage appetizer we had there. Maybe the cold up north has numbed your taste buds 😉
It's not numb taste buds, @GotGarlic, it's that our taste buds like different flavors. ;) Besides, most times I use mayo in combination with sour cream or yogurt as the dressing for potato salad.

It's not like I didn't like Duke's. I just didn't get the hype. 🤷‍♀️

It says right on the jar lid, "Duke's, it's got Twang!" :ROFLMAO:

I bought Hellmann's all my adult life, because that's what my mom bought. One day, I bought some Duke's, and loved it. To be clear, I don't "dislike" Hellmann's, and wouldn't complain if someone served it to me. I just like Duke's better.

I don't know if Duke's would make a difference to me, or not on a lobster roll. I just know that I liked the lobster roll with the drawn butter a lot.

The only mayo I do NOT like is Kewpie. I know a lot of people love it, but it just doesn't do it for me.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom