Question for you Backyard Chicken Experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
This isn't really a cooking question, but more of a chicken behavioral question. I had 6 chickens, 5 were killed by raccoons. I finally figured out how they were getting into the chicken run ( I set up a wireless ring cam which alerted me when the raccoon was in there, and I got there just in time,. Sadly, the footage of me kicking the raccoon in the butt has since been erased). Anyway, ever since this tragedy ( happened over a 1 week time), the lone chicken stopped laying eggs, as they normally do after stressful situations.

Finally, after like 6 months, the chicken has started laying eggs again. She lays them in a corner, not in the 2 nest boxes I have in the coop. I moved the two nest boxes on either side of the spot she was now laying eggs ( not the exact spot cause if thats where she wants to lay them, more power to her). In addition , with the few eggs that were in her corner, I now split them up and put a few in each nesting box.

The next day, when I went to check on her all the eggs were moved out of both nesting boxes with an additional one ( that she must have layed that morning) all in one cluster.

Im guessing she moved them togher so she can sit on them all at the same time ( assuming she wanted them to hatch). I wish I had video of her moving them into one pile.

If there is another reason why she may have done this, Id be curious.

That is curious. I also would love to see video of her moving the eggs. I'm following along to see if anyone has any ideas.

Back
Top Bottom