Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's getting to be that time of year again for sunsets! :wub: From the driveway this evening.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 120
We even get really cool bugs up here in the mountains. Check out these moths hanging out by the driveway:

Attachments

• 0920170905e_HDR.jpg
    0920170905e_HDR.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 0806170858a_HDR.jpg
    0806170858a_HDR.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 116
Thank you CG, Ross, and Rick. We're blessed with some cool sunsets here.

Bucky....wow, those are some neat lookin' moths!:ohmy::)

I went down to the marina to get the boat ready for winter storage a few weeks ago and found this guy tooling around:

Attachments

• 0915171448c_HDR[1].jpg
    0915171448c_HDR[1].jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 0915171447j_HDR[1].jpg
    0915171447j_HDR[1].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 0915171447f_HDR[1].jpg
    0915171447f_HDR[1].jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I wonder where the mate was. They usually travel in twos.

I've seen the pair over the summer, near where we anchor up to swim in a no wake zone. We've decided they should be called Ogden, and Mrs. Nash.

I'm guessing they have a nest somewhere.

Went fishing at a little pond a few miles from town. The moon came up as I was driving home, and I had my camera along so: I call this "Moonrise over Windchargers".

i-Wv35HLx-XL.jpg

Mr. Moon looks a wee bit surprised, Rick. Probably at the size of the windmills.

Wow, CG! Her mosaics are fabulous! Thanks for sharing the site.
You're welcome, tl! And thanks for the compliment. Such detailed work from a woman who didn't have the least bit of patience when she was younger.

Thank you for the links... My daughter is interested in mosaics..

Ross
You're welcome, Ross. Perhaps you could give your daughter a gift card to the shop? Cherie does ship product...:whistling:

I've seen the pair over the summer, near where we anchor up to swim in a no wake zone. We've decided they should be called Ogden, and Mrs. Nash.

I'm guessing they have a nest somewhere.

In the Boston Gardens across from the Boston Commons, a man from Maine has a flock of swans he brings down every Spring. Their wings have been clipped. He raises them. And he brings along any young ones they have that are old enough to travel and no longer in the nest. They swim in the pond where you can take a ride in the Swan Pond boats along with the swans.

One year some a--hole shot one of the parents with a bow and arrow. It died. It was the female and she had some young ones. The public along with the owner was heartbroken. And extremely angry. Now there is constant rangers patrolling the garden around the clock.

The owner stated that he hoped the male would be able to find another mate from some of the females that had hatched from another couple the previous year. They do look for a new mate when they have lost the one they were with. They mate for life with just the same one until one dies, hopefully and usually of natural causes. Then they look for a new mate. The write-up in the paper and on the TV news this incident received educated the public about swans and how they live. Hopefully, the culprit (who was never caught) read it and got an education.

I hope he lives with an excruciating painful conscience for the rest of his life.

Hmm, according to this truncated article, the Boston Garden swans overwinter at the Franklin Park Zoo. Nothing about Maine, but maybe that's how it started ages ago. I also thought this was interesting about the "couple". Apparently, both of the swans that have been nesting together are females. It appears that if "Romeo" and Juliet have plans on starting a family, they will just have to adopt. :LOL:

The event I referred to occurred more than two years ago. The man from Maine has stopped providing the swans after that event. I can't say that I blame him.

Back
Top Bottom