Rye crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently I didn't explain myself clearly to DH. What I really wanted was those little rounds of rye bread crackers you get in a bag of snack mix. I usually dig through the bag and eat those first.

Apparently I didn't explain myself clearly to DH. What I really wanted was those little rounds of rye bread crackers you get in a bag of snack mix. I usually dig through the bag and eat those first.

Ah, yes. Like Melba toast? I like those, too. Old London brand makes a wide variety. Not sure if they sell them as little as the ones in the Chex snack mix, though.

Old London ® Rye Melba Toast - oldlondonfoods.com

I haven't had this in years but now I have a craving for it. Ritz crackers with a light schmear of butter topped with cherry preserves. Or Holland Rusk with strawberry preserves.

I have no snacky stuff at the moment. :(

Last edited:
DH is Benedict Arnold. Though he bought the cardboard crackers, he's been eating the dip on rye bread, not cardboard. Traitor.
TSK TSK what a traitor he is! :glare:

There is a rye bread, pumpernickle and rye, sold in small loaves and they are called cocktail rye. We only buy them near the holidays. I cut them in quarters, then drizzle with garlic, butter, salt, and bake them, and those are what I use in my version of chex snack mix. I don't think this is the brand I use, I don't remember exactly what the brand was. The slices are thin and the bread slice is about 2 inches by 2 inches.
0071494000210_A1L1_ItemMaster_type_large.jpeg

There is a rye bread, pumpernickle and rye, sold in small loaves and they are called cocktail rye. We only buy them near the holidays. I cut them in quarters, then drizzle with garlic, butter, salt, and bake them, and those are what I use in my version of chex snack mix. I don't think this is the brand I use, I don't remember exactly what the brand was. The slices are thin and the bread slice is about 2 inches by 2 inches.

What a great idea, Bliss! I love those little cocktail loaves of pumpernickel/rye. I'm going to try your suggestion. Thanks!

Well thanks! There is not much to tell about how to do it. Cut the loaf up lengthwise, twice so you have 1 by 1 inch 'crackers'. Melt about 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), fresh chopped garlic (or garlic powder), some salt, drizzle it over. Bake at 250 degrees F for an hour, stirring once in a while.
I made three versions of chex mix, one salty and seasoned, one w/white chocolate, and one sweet & salty (to use up all the chex cereal and pretzels. Nuts, m&m's). I'm still eating them, a little bit once in a while and the men take bags of it to work.

Yes. I was able to find a bag of those little rye rounds years ago at one of our local stores. Of course I haven't been able to find them since then.

DH, at the site in the first picture, you can enter your zip code and it will show the stores in your area where you can find them.

Last edited:
Well thanks! There is not much to tell about how to do it. Cut the loaf up lengthwise, twice so you have 1 by 1 inch 'crackers'. Melt about 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), fresh chopped garlic (or garlic powder), some salt, drizzle it over. Bake at 250 degrees F for an hour, stirring once in a while.
I made three versions of chex mix, one salty and seasoned, one w/white chocolate, and one sweet & salty (to use up all the chex cereal and pretzels. Nuts, m&m's). I'm still eating them, a little bit once in a while and the men take bags of it to work.

Thank you, Bliss. :)

In my area you can also buy those mini loafs that are light and dark marbled rye. And they have a couple more variations on them. I think they make a great snack. I get a loaf or two about every other month. I prefer the marbled one. Just big enough for one tomato, a small piece of meat, some cheese, and I have a quick and filling snack. Stops me from snacking and snacking, and.....

Are you talking "rye", Dawg, or "pumpernickel"? I remember them as "pump-yer-nickel". They sell the "good stuff" at the Amish store we were at earlier this week! Had you said something, we could have wheeled and dealed a bag or three in your direction. However, we are going to a different bulk store tomorrow. If they have them (I think they were about $4.50 or so a pound...), you want I should pick some up to mail to you?

DH, at the site in the first picture, you can enter your zip code and it will show the stores in your area where you can find them.
Those aren't the same thing as the little discs of deliciousness that used to be in the Chex mix bags, though.

Are you talking "rye", Dawg, or "pumpernickel"? I remember them as "pump-yer-nickel". They sell the "good stuff" at the Amish store we were at earlier this week! Had you said something, we could have wheeled and dealed a bag or three in your direction. However, we are going to a different bulk store tomorrow. If they have them (I think they were about $4.50 or so a pound...), you want I should pick some up to mail to you?

Those aren't the same thing as the little discs of deliciousness that used to be in the Chex mix bags, though.

You're a doll, CG! Right now we're up to our eyeballs in all things rye, but I appreciate the offer! We have several Amish communities within an hour away from us, great idea!

Pumpernickel means sort of is Farting Nicholas ... if you ever wonder. Nicholas can also mean demon or devil or goblin... so yeah have fun with that.

On a sort of related note. Does anyone make a pure rye bread without any wheat flour in it? I've heard of it, but never seen it.

Vinylhanger: In Sweden it exist in every store. I do have a recipe for pure rye bread, if you want to, I can translate.

On a sort of related note. Does anyone make a pure rye bread without any wheat flour in it? I've heard of it, but never seen it.

I've made it. It's very dense, since there is no gluten to help with the rise. I made the dough in the bread machine, then baked it in a loaf pan in the oven. It's no different than making any other bread.

Back
Top Bottom