Saturday 11-26-2016, what are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
Skipped dinner for an early morning breakfast, hitting the sleep for six hours, and in again for eight tomorrow.

Every year I have been in retail I make this empty vow, THIS IS THE LAST HOLIDAY I WILL DO THIS.

Black Friday wasn't that bad. I didn't take leftovers, just because I had a couple portions of beef barley soup in the freezer saved that would heat and could be eaten quickly in a fifteen minute break.

So this morning I'm loading up on the leftover plate, turkey, creamed onions, yams, mashers, and some bread, and grabbing five hours of sleep, back for seven hours of retail. I am off on Sunday.

When I get back home tomorrow night, I'm making a turkey pot pie. Have plenty of flour and butter (I used much less butter this year due to Projekt Duck Fat), so a pie crust is quick. And obviously I have all the other ingredients. I'm gonna improvise a bit, and maybe use frozen peas from the freezer stash. I'll give the recipe on request, after I make it up, use it, and decide whether it is an embarrassment or a success.

I wish you all well, except those of you who are trying to get Hatchanimals, I know your kids want them, but it just isn't gonna happen until January right now, unless Walmart is sitting on them. And I doubt they would be as they advertised a discounted price. Its cool, you have the internet, look well, just don't keep calling me, our store got four, one person bought them all, back in October. We aren't gonna have them before Xmas.

Two weeks after Xmas I won't be able to walk around the store without kicking a pile of the things.

For those of you here that work in retail, I salute you! We survived another one. Except if you work for REI, in which case I can say you are a lucky bastid.

So off to reheat a breakfast of Champions... What you eating today?

TBS

Not quite sure what will be the evening meal. I will be busy today and tomorrow with the Horizon. The tasso is ready for the smoker and the andouille needs to be ground and stuffed into casings before hitting the smoker. I also prepped the chaurice which will go on the smoker after the two pork butts tomorrow. I still need to get some ingredients for the boudin for tomorrow. Boudin does not get smoked. The freezers will probably groan from getting stuffed.:ohmy:

We are taking a break from turkey tonight. I have a 2.3lb. chunk of Boston butt thawing for pork shoulder ragu over fettuccine.

I'm thinking tonight will be turkey pot pies. The turkey carcass with lots of breast still on it and the wings were put in the freezer on thanksgiving day for soup next week.

We have decided on pork tenderloin. I just finished grinding 20# of andouille and got the tasso on about 45 minutes ago. We are keeping 5# of the andouille as bulk, the rest is going into the casing.

We were sent home from Glenn's daughter's home Thursday night with loads of leftovers. They hit the refrigerator because we still had ample non-Thanksgiving leftovers to eat. Had some of those last night and polished off the smaller dabs today for lunch. Soo...

It'll be Thanksgiving ham and some leftover sides for our meal tonight. We came home with several slices of a couple of different pies, which will be plenty to finish our meal.

In addition to a big zipper-lock bag of sliced turkey we were gifted with the carcass, still on the rack in the roasting pan.

This morning I did the disassembly thing and wound up with about 3 cups of awesome drippings and more than 8 cups of meat. The carcass is simmering now for stock/soup.

Won't take a rocket scientist to guess what we're having tomorrow.

My dear neighbor brought me a Tupperware container of her homemade chicken and dumplings a little while ago. She made way too much for her family and thought I would like some - which I definitely will. :yum: That will be for this afternoon's dinner, along with some steamed carrots for a side.

I was in the mood for comfort food, non-holiday version. We ended up with top-of-the-stove macaroni and ground meat. Used 93% lean ground round, tri-color penne, and most of a jar of store-bought sauce. Added in sauteed onion and some Italian seasonings, topped with fresh-grated Parma and Romano. Hit the spot.

As Craig mentioned, we had pork tenderloin with brandy, French mustard, brown sugar sauce. Sides were smushed new potatoes and brussel sprouts with bacon and balsamic.

37240-albums1041-picture6723.jpg

Mmmmm, that looks good Med.

I love smushed spuds; haven't made them in a long time.

I'm just about to finish a 17 hour shift, but last night I had takeout Italian. Chicken parm, ziti, and garlic sautéed spinach. And a salad with balsamic dressing. It was "meh", nothing special. The pasta was overcooked and oversauced.

My son had a sleepover last night, so in order to keep her sanity, DW had a girlfriend come over to hang out.

I called DW to say good night but it sounded like the party was just getting going. There was a lot of wine left over from Thanksgiving with which I was going to make Coq au Vin, but I have a feeling there's none left now. :ermm:

We finished off the week's leftovers. Meatloaf with leftover turkey gravy, mashed potatoes (more gravy), squash, and stuffing (more gravy). Apple pie. Both of the Elders cleaned their plates. Tomorrow we move on to turkey soup with stuffing dumplings.

A bowl of Ramen noodles. I just wasn't hungry. Pirate finished off the chicken dinner my daughter bought for me from Boston Chicken.

Back
Top Bottom