Sauteed Steakhouse-Style Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
The recipe calls for sweet red wine

I'm using a Merlot - is that considered a sweet wine?

or are they referring to something like Port, etc.

Argh, never mind, found it mentioned in their recipe. I had looked but didn't see it. I think that's because I need a glass of wine in my hand to not only cook recipes but to read them as well!

So to answer my own quesiton - yes, the merlot will do fine.

Argh, never mind, found it mentioned in their recipe. I had looked but didn't see it. I think that's because I need a glass of wine in my hand to not only cook recipes but to read them as well!

So to answer my own quesiton - yes, the merlot will do fine.

Ummmm, Merlot is a pretty dry wine -- too dry for my tastes. To me, a sweet red would be something like a Ruby Porto/Port Wine.

To be honest, I'm not sure why the recipe calls for a sweet red., although I've never thought about making steakhouse mushrooms.

CD

I use dry Sherry when sautéing mushrooms, a trick I learned from a now-defunct steakhouse. I first saute them in a little bit of butter, then finish them off at the end with the Sherry. I could make a meal on just those mushrooms. 😋

I've eaten steakhouse mushrooms once, I believe it was at a Ruth's Chris steakhouse. It was so long ago, that I really can't remember what they tasted like.

The copycat recipes I've found for RC mushrooms differs from recipe to recipe (as expected), but none of those recipes mention any wine -- or any other alcohol.

Sherry sounds good for this. (y)

CD

Made them yesterday and I think you all are correct. The sherry would probably have been better. Don't get me wrong, it was very good and I would have no problem making it again - but do think and will do, with sherry next time. Have already noted it in my recipe.

I use dry Sherry when sautéing mushrooms, a trick I learned from a now-defunct steakhouse. I first saute them in a little bit of butter, then finish them off at the end with the Sherry. I could make a meal on just those mushrooms. 😋
Sometimes a pile of mushrooms is the way to enjoy them.
Pile them on toast with gravy, or on potatoes with caramelized onions.
Although I cook them in their own juices, adding some wine (and herbs) is good because it gets sucked back into the mushrooms as they are cooked until the pan is almost dry.

But if I want to enjoy mushrooms, why would I add gravy or onions, @blissful? Those sound good, but only if I didn't want to savor the flavor of mushrooms.

Mushroom gravy is wonderful with steak. In particular, with steaks that have a rather weak beef flavor, like Filet Mignon. I sometimes make a mushroom and peppercorn sauce -- like a steak au poivre with mushrooms.

It is a delicate balance between the mushrooms and onions. Same with the gravy.
I can balance it when I do with my eggs - mostly :whistling . Once gravy is added, another balancing act. If I don't get it right... well, there's always next time. ;)

It is a delicate balance between the mushrooms and onions. Same with the gravy.
I can balance it when I do with my eggs - mostly :whistling . Once gravy is added, another balancing act. If I don't get it right... well, there's always next time. ;)

My mushroom gravies tend to go heavy on the shrooms. Some might say "too heavy." ;)

CD

Eh, I'd just skip the sauce or gravy and add more mushrooms. Like bacon, there is no such thing as too many mushrooms.

However, someone walking behind me the next day might disagree...:whistling
I agree with you, but my DH doesn't. I either chop them fine enough that he doesn't notice them or leave them big enough to find easily. He doesn't mind if there are mushrooms, but he doesn't like to notice them unless they are easy to remove, which is just MORE FOR ME.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom