sealing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dachshund_Dad

Assistant Cook
Hi. I am new to canning so bear with me. Im mainly hot bath canning peppers/onions with the 50/50 vinegar rule, with try preserves/jams later when my pears come in. The question is about the sealing part. I read where it can take up to 24 hrs for jars to seal...the thing is, so far, all my batches have sealed within 10 mins after taking from the boiling bath. Is to fast an issue? dont think so, and really dont see how it could possibly take 24 hrs to seal anyway (Thermal Dynamics dont normally work that way, lol), Thanks for any ideas, thanks.

It does not take up to 24 hours for canning jars to seal. Your experience is correct; it may take up to 10 minutes, generally less, for the jars to seal. The 24 hour bit may be the advice to wait 24 hours before removing the rings and washing the cooled jars before storing them.

I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember listening to jars ping that they were sealed for a half an hour to an hour with a largish batch. It's been over 25 years since I did any canning. Oh, and some of that might have been with pressure canning.

The definitive source of canning information you should be using is the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia. If you use reliable sources, you won't have any questions about the process.

nchfp.uga.edu

Back
Top Bottom