Spaghetti alla Carbonara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the North End of Boston the whole section was at one time immigrant Italians. Now the Yuppies are moving in as the old timers pass away. Their children want out of the crowded tenements. But there are still some grandmothers who carry on with their food traditions and what they learned from their immigrating parents. Over the years they managed to buy the four/five story walk-up. In the first floor they put in a small restaurant with three or four tables. In the back all the cooking is done with the pots and pans that their parents sent to Italy for. The income helped pay for their mortgage and later for the kids to go off to college.

But if you want a dish right out of Italy, you look in the door and if you see only a few tables, that is where you go to eat. The pasta is most likely freshly made right there. And you know the sauces are freshly made every day. You can taste it. What little land came with the property, you will find fresh tomatoes and herbs growing on it. What they don't cook with, they can.

I haven't been to Boston in quite a while, but I have been to that neighborhood, and have eaten in one of those restaurants with just a few tables. Good stuff!

CD

In response to Mad Cook:

I am sorry if you have taken offense at what I wrote. I can assure the information came from a very reliable source. It is well known that, after the Landing at Anzio, the American troops broke away from the main body of infantry to get to Rome as soon as they could. It was clearly NOT a case of winning any races. (see information in Wikipedia on the landings at Anzio), and I have heard information from friends of mine in Rome when I was a student at the Università degli Studi in 1967 - 1969, whose families had all suffered terribly. I never said or implied that the other troops did nothing. I suggest most sincerely that you read the Wikipedia entry on the subject.

Without prejudice,

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
It's OK Di. It was was only partly serious. I hope I didn't upset you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom