Stuffed Cauliflower - question for our 'down-under' friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxy, think you must have missed an earlier post of mine somewhere. 90% of the time I eat cauliflower raw. Just take the whole thing with me to watch TV and break off and nibble. Don't even use a dip.
BTW cauliflower soup is wonderful. I have made it and it does not taste like cabbage. Ditto broccoli soup. And they freeze very well.
Yup, broccoli is another I eat mostly raw. Especially the stems. When I buy them I choose for the stems rather than the heads.

@dragnlaw I would choose stems over trees of broccoli, but if I had to choose one or the other, I choose stems.
Sometimes the supermarket only has "broccoli crowns". They charge more per pound for those. I don't buy that. I would feel like they stole my broccoli stem.

A lot of people don't realize just how good those peeled stems are.

Sometimes the supermarket only has "broccoli crowns". They charge more per pound for those. I don't buy that. I would feel like they stole my broccoli stem.

A lot of people don't realize just how good those peeled stems are.
Stems for the win. I make a broccoli pasta, normally with spaghetti and brunoised stems with chopped up florets and use the broccoli cooking water as a stock, mount with a little butter, add some chili flakes and grated parmigiana, it was a popular staff meal.

pictonguy, ever watch a British tv series called Pie in the Sky? Your post mentioning staff meal made me think of it. Was a good show, think I enjoyed the culinary part as much as if not more than the mystery part! ;)

pictonguy, ever watch a British tv series called Pie in the Sky? Your post mentioning staff meal made me think of it. Was a good show, think I enjoyed the culinary part as much as if not more than the mystery part! ;)
Can't say I have and I love the British take on TV and movies in general, I'll look into it.

My favorite part of the broccoli are the tender stems under the florets . I also peel the stalks and eat them raw. Im pretty sure Jacques Pepin made a Broccoli Risotto using the parts of the broccoli ( the stems) that most people discard.

Broccoli was inexpensive at the store today $1.29/lb so we bought 6 lbs. I cut all the trees off and then quick blanched them and froze 12.5 cups and kept another 8 cups in the fridge for eating. The stems (I don't peel), I cut in sticks about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch by 1 inch, then blanched those, to use in stir fries or soups, 7.5 cups. Like cauliflower, broccoli is part of the brassica family, a power house of nutrition. Broccoli is milder flavored than many of the green vegetables that are good for you, so very popular. Raw or cooked, eat them as much as you like. I eat them by the bowl. My husband is more a fan of cauliflower, so we go through a lot of both of them.

This is the time of. year. I see a lot of. local cauliflower and broccoli in the markets. they are HUGE and. healthy looking. Sometimes. cant resist buying some, just. out. of. awe of the size of these things. About 10 miles eat of us is Long Island Farm country, so. we get a. lot. of. local stuff. One. of my favorite things to do this year is just drive out east, stopping at. every farm stand I could.

covid, dear lord.jpg

One of my interests is in paleoanthropology and nutrition and this pic just reminds me of how bitter was an indicator of toxins which for the most part have been bred out of modern crops, but less we forget, never. :D
If you note my postings about clams being bitter.... I ate almost every single one, bitter or not.
oops... oh well... I'm still here, sort of, almost, just about, not speaking for my brain, of course.

There's actually a photo of the other side of the jar, on the Cole's link, showing the ingredients. Funny thing - I didn't see "chicken" or "butter" anywhere in the ingredients!
What's so funny about that? Have you ever had an egg cream? Guess what? There ain't no egg in it. Guess what else? There ain't no cream in it either! :innocent::whistling

Last edited by a moderator:
If you note my postings about clams being bitter.... I ate almost every single one, bitter or not.
oops... oh well... I'm still here, sort of, almost, just about, not speaking for my brain, of course.
Yeah, definitely unusual. Did you use a chardonnay, :sick: that can, when reduced in a sauce become bitter. clams are generally sweet and have never experienced that. sorry can't be more helpful.

Yes, I did use wine. Which one? whatever I was drinking at the time, probably a Pinot Gris (or Grigio). But the weird part is that the sauce was delightful, everything was perfect until you ate a clam.

Do you prefer tiny pasta clams or larger little necks?

I was so excited to make this dish.... and it is absolutely BLECHY!

I made the chicken version with the Patak Butter Chicken - which is in itself really good.

But the cauliflower was still more crunchy than cooked after an hour and a half of cooking. There needed to be much more cheese, and salt. Chicken was to be small dice, well, with a small dice of a cooked chicken - you get shreds - which ended up making the whole concoction taste like tuna. I'm also thinking that some of the cheese should have been mixed in with the chicken.

There is really not enough cavity to stuff to make it a satisfying dish - in my opinion. Of course, if you then carved out more of the stems it will fall apart.. duh. I also doesn't say what size cabbage - but I got a medium size one. So in either large or small it should have worked somehow!

I really like cauliflower. 90% of the time I eat it raw while watching TV - better than chips, eh? So crunchy doesn't bother me but there are times I want it cooked thru - and this was one of those times.

View attachment 66503 LOL - even the picture is frustrating as it shows as if there is more stuffing than stem - very misleading and needless to say - annoying!
So... are you saying you didn't like it. I can't really tell. :ROFLMAO:

Call me back in about ... oh, I don't know... say maybe a year or two. If you haven't figured it out by then.... well.... never mind.
emoticone_mdr7.GIF

Back
Top Bottom