Suggestions for a Pork Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sephora

Washing Up
Other than giving it away because it's pork, a meat I cannot bring myself to eat any more, what can be done with a pork roast? I got a package of various meat products last month and they substituted pork roast for beef roast (something they had a right to do). But I have no use for it but thought if I could make something my daughter would eat it would no longer take up precious space in my freezer.

:pig:

I'm not sure what you have against pork. If it's a comprable cut to the beef roast, you can roast it in the oven.

I tend to roast it at 400F so it won't dry out.

You can use the leftovers for sandwiches.

Andy M. said:
I'm not sure what you have against pork. If it's a comprable cut to the beef roast, you can roast it in the oven.

I tend to roast it at 400F so it won't dry out.

You can use the leftovers for sandwiches.
Well, it started out with me just hating the taste of ham. Over Easter it became a full blown pork boycott ~ and I live in NC so it's a hard thing to do. We road up to PA from NC and 2/3 of the trip I was beside a truck full of innocent little pigs on their way to somewhere I don't like to think about. We (my father's girl friend and myself because she thinks Walmart brand is just as good as Honeybaked ham) ended up having a fight about it. I told them I'd stopped eating pork altogether. And to keep myself honest, I have had all of 2 strips of bacon since April. I don't want to go back on my conviction and I've never been a "have to have it" person when it comes to pork. It's the "oh, yeah, that's a meat" meat in our house.

how about cut the rind off (if it has one) cut into strips and deep fat fry it then sprinkle on some salt and leave to cool on a kitchen towel.
cube up the pork and Curry it (Indian or Chinese style).
or cut into strip then batter it, serve with a sweet and sour dip?
or you could blitz it up with herbs and spices and make meat balls or pattys.

most of these ways will hide that it`s pork and make it somewhat more Generic as just a meat :)

I like to cook my pork roast in a slow cooker with onions and veggies like a potroast adding what ever spices you like the best and making gravy out of the juices turns out real tender and good that way or add bbq sauce and make pulled pork with it good that way too

What ChefJune said. Comparing ham and fresh pork is a bit unusual. Ham is cured and salty. Pork is now too lean but can be very tasty if cooked correctly. You don't say what cut of pork this is.
If it is a pork "butt" or shoulder it will make delicious pulled pork BBQ--there are many threads about it here.
If it is a loin you can roast it but be careful not to overcook or it will be dry and tough. Roast to an internal temp of 145* (which after resting will rise to 155* and be moist and flavorful.
I prefer to braise pork loin any more and the recipe above with onions and vegetable would be good. I do one with apples and onions.
Also if it is a pork loin, it can be cut into "steaks" and marinated and grilled. Or they can be pounded and made into a pork marsala or picatta.

Gretchen said:
What ChefJune said. Comparing ham and fresh pork is a bit unusual. Ham is cured and salty. Pork is now too lean but can be very tasty if cooked correctly. You don't say what cut of pork this is.
If it is a pork "butt" or shoulder it will make delicious pulled pork BBQ--there are many threads about it here.
If it is a loin you can roast it but be careful not to overcook or it will be dry and tough. Roast to an internal temp of 145* (which after resting will rise to 155* and be moist and flavorful.
I prefer to braise pork loin any more and the recipe above with onions and vegetable would be good. I do one with apples and onions.
Also if it is a pork loin, it can be cut into "steaks" and marinated and grilled. Or they can be pounded and made into a pork marsala or picatta.

It's not about taste. It's about the animal it comes from. :pig:

It actually just says "pork roast" no butt or sholder. Just roast. I'm sure it's a cheap cut.

If you can get it in a crockpot, you can make some great BBQ for sandwiches.
Season it up with a good Southwest seasoning, and add a can of beer. When the meat is falling apart, take it out and chop & shred it, then put back in crockpot and add a good BBQ sauce (I like Maull's) to the juice in the crockpot. Let simmer an hour or so, then you are ready to serve it up on a bun.

FryBoy said:
Depending on the type of pork roast you have, you could make carnitas, my favorite for tacos.

:) Oh yeah!!!! One of our favorites.

We also like to brown off the roast on all sides, seasoning with lots of pepper. Remove from the pot and toss in 1 onion sliced and 3 or 4 cloves of chopped garlic. When they are nicely browned put the pork back with a can of beer or 12 ounces of apple juice and a couple of cans of saurkraut, a tsp. of caraway seeds, and a slice apple on top. Cover and cook slowly until it's falling apart.:rolleyes:

I could probably convince myself it wasn't pork if I did carnitas. Although sweet and sour pork doesn't sound too bad either. The thing isn't very big, maybe a pound and a half. About the size of a grapefruit.

Why not donate it to your local church, food bank, or homeless shelter? I'm sure they would be happy to prepare it to feed those that need a meal. (You can even write off the cost on your taxes as a donation.)

I am with you sephora... after observing some awful vista of a knackeryard not so far away from a place I used to live in the days of yore in Texas, I had problems with beef for a long, long time for the same reason.
Now I am okay with something like mince or perfectly filleted slice which has minimal reminder of its former life, then I try not to think about where it comes from, and I can eat them.
The same thing with fish... when we buy them whole, Cris picks out the fish from the stall (I can't bear the sight of dead, or almost dead fish...), then does all the dirty work while I just go outside until the coast is clear.
Maybe you can have someone slice them up nicely, and tell yourself its simply a form of "food", and block out the thoughts as to its source. That's how I came to terms with some form of meats... maybe not perfectly correct as an ethic, but when you live with meateaters, you need to make some compromise somewhere...:cool:

I make a bbq pork roast. You cut holes into the pork and insert some slivers of garlic, then top it with bbq sauce ( I make my own), it's really good when it carmelizes. If you have leftovers you could make open face sandwiches with gravy on top.

Back
Top Bottom