Sunday Dinner - 10/9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Red Meat Sunday !
Grilled Angus Strip, Sauteed Mushrooms
Boiled Rice w/ Lefty Brown Gravy
Green Beans & Corn

Strip Steak, Grilled 10-9-22.JPG

I'm making Scallops with Mushrooms and Leeks tonight. I have a recipe similar to This One. I'll likely serve it over linguine or with some potatoes. It is from an Irish Cookbook, so potatoes is probably more suited to it...but I do like it with pasta. Hmmmm...
smileys-thinking-069405.gif

I had a pound of creminis in the fridge I wanted to make a soup with. First thing I did, as with almost all this type of recipe, was put about ¾ oz beletus to soak in some hot water.

This one was mostly in the instant pot, starting out sautéeing a simple mirepoix in some EVOO, adding some minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, and a couple tb of tomato paste at the end, to cook a minute. I added 7 c water, along with ¾ c of barley, and ½ c toor dal (some keeps its shape, but some thickens the soup, with this type), and a little light soy, for salting. Cover, set on manual 25 min (or equivalent), and let pressure release naturally.

While that cooks, I clean and slice the creminis about 3/8" thick. Then squeeze the boletus around in the water, to get any grit out, then squeeze dry. Strain the water, then add a little clean water to the boletus, squeeze around again, in case there is any grit (usually gone the first time), squeeze dry again, and chop fine. Then I add this and the soaking water to a NS wok, or other pan, put the crimini in, and cover. Then steam everything, until the cremini is all cooked slightly, uncover, and boil off the water, tossing frequently. When the water is almost gone, add a couple of tsp of EVOO, and brown the ingredients, tossing frequently only this small amount of oil is needed here. And it's all ready before the IP ingredients!
Mushrooms, about halfway through the browning by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Browned cremini and boletus mushrooms, to put in the soup, after the first cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushrooms added to the barley lentil mix, pressure cooked first. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushroom barley soup, with some buttered, toasted slices of the rosemary whole grain bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And that very thick slice of toasted bread, baked last night, was delicious with it!

Seems to be a chicken lo mein night. We had One Pot Chicken Lo Mein. It was quite tasty. The two of us finished off half the recipe, which is for six servings. I added some kale, because the last time we had it, I thought it could use some greens. Next time it will be something like spinach or young chard and added at the end. I could also use some more seasoning. I'm thinking something hot and some fish sauce. So, as you can tell, I'm still tweaking this recipe to our taste. It seems to be worth the effort.

PXL_20221010_002445117.jpg PXL_20221010_002310364.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom