The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got a earache and clogged sinuses, mostly on the right side plus a little scratchy in the throat. Might need some Greek Mountain Tea!
For a moment, I was going to accuse you of getting me sick, but I tested negative for COVID, thankfully. I am currently sipping my Greek Mountain Tea obediently and will say that I do feel better for this moment.

For a moment, I was going to accuse you of getting me sick, but I tested negative for COVID, thankfully. I am currently sipping my Greek Mountain Tea obediently and will say that I do feel better for this moment.
I tested positive but my husband tested negative. He was sick before me with all the same symptoms. My test below. Sometimes those tests have false negatives, keep that in mind.
20231216_213454.jpg

Well, that Greek Mountain Tea seems to work really well. My body just had to have the idea of Greek Mountain Tea and the cough is much better and the gunk has much weaker glue.
I swear by the stuff. The flavor is not unpleasant, and it seems to help me regardless of whether it is hot or cold. I don't add anything to it, but lots of people will use lemon or honey or both!

DH has been sick since we came back from MI at Thanksgiving - abdominal pain and bloating, nausea and gas. We thought it might be an infection but he went to the doctor Monday and no positive results from lab tests.

He had the idea tonight that it might be lactose intolerance. I looked it up and people can develop it later in life (he's 62), due to infection and other causes, and his brother has it. I've been reading up on it tonight. We may be in for some big changes.

DH has been sick since we came back from MI at Thanksgiving - abdominal pain and bloating, nausea and gas. We thought it might be an infection but he went to the doctor Monday and no positive results from lab tests.

He had the idea tonight that it might be lactose intolerance. I looked it up and people can develop it later in life (he's 62), due to infection and other causes, and his brother has it. I've been reading up on it tonight. We may be in for some big changes.
Did they check the gall bladder? I had the same symptoms for quite awhile until Superbowl Sunday of 2022, when I woke up at 4 am in acute pain with the bloating and nausea/vomiting. After a few hours, I had hubby take me to the ER. They did an ultrasound and CT scan and found large gallstones. I was in surgery by 2:30 pm and back home by 8.

Did they check the gall bladder? I had the same symptoms for quite awhile until Superbowl Sunday of 2022, when I woke up at 4 am in acute pain with the bloating and nausea/vomiting. After a few hours, I had hubby take me to the ER. They did an ultrasound and CT scan and found large gallstones. I was in surgery by 2:30 pm and back home by 8.
Yikes. No, not yet. Well, they palpated his torso and abdomen, but no imaging. He's going to contact them again Monday. I think he's noticed a pattern of what he's been eating and the symptoms. It's a possibility, though, so we will certainly mention it. Thanks.

Yikes. No, not yet. Well, they palpated his torso and abdomen, but no imaging. He's going to contact them again Monday. I think he's noticed a pattern of what he's been eating and the symptoms. It's a possibility, though, so we will certainly mention it. Thanks.
It seemed that fatty foods and dairy were affecting me the most, and I eat cheese and love cream and butter. So I dunno. They did laproscopic surgery on me so it was minimally invasive and I recuperated quickly. I would rather have my gall bladder out than change my diet!

It seemed that fatty foods and dairy were affecting me the most, and I eat cheese and love cream and butter. So I dunno. They did laproscopic surgery on me so it was minimally invasive and I recuperated quickly. I would rather have my gall bladder out than change my diet!
I agree! I had my gall bladder removed in 2009, I think it was, and even though I had to have open surgery because of scarring from other abdominal surgery, I was home the next day and recovered well. DH is in good condition and general health, so that would be a relatively easy fix.

If it is lactose intolerance, the changes may not need to be all that big. Nowadays it's easy to find lactose free coffee cream and milk. Also, their are tablets containing lactase, which breaks down lactose, so those can be taken when eating dairy products.

If it is lactose intolerance, the changes may not need to be all that big. Nowadays it's easy to find lactose free coffee cream and milk. Also, their are tablets containing lactase, which breaks down lactose, so those can be taken when eating dairy products.
Maybe. I've been reading about it tonight and lactose is used in all kinds of unexpected things, like medications. When there's a small amount of active ingredient, lactose is often used to bulk up pills so they won't be too tiny. And since I was hospitalized with sepsis last spring, we've been relying more on prepared foods sometimes, many of which contain lactose, milk powder, etc., for various purposes. He doesn't like soy or almond milk, but maybe yogurt and labneh can sub for some of the liquid dairy he eats (generally with cereal). The lactase has to be taken at the right time, to get to the small intestine when the food does, which apparently isn't always easy to make happen. It's weird, but gall bladder surgery would be easier to deal with.

Well hubby just tested me, I'm positive for Covid-19. He's been a little under the weather all week. He's testing himself now. Happy holidays indeed, lol.
Really sorry to hear this, take good care of yourself! I just had it last month and am getting a booster vaxx tomorrow so hopefully this was the last time this winter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom