Thursday June 7, 2018 - What are you eating today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Breakfast was coffee yogurt and a couple pieces of cheese.
Lunch will probably be egg salad or tuna salad.
Dinner will most likely be chicken wings. But I am unsure how they will be cooked.

Butter chicken and naan. The chicken has been marinating since last night and I just finished mixing up the naan for a slow rise.

I am planning chicken tornadoes topped with aonion and rhubarb quick pickle with a few juniper berries thrown in, asparagus mousse and wild rice. I hope the Elders like it.

So me and my wife made a little experiment that turned out to be super awesome and tasty.*

There is a Crimean dish called "Chebureki", which is basically ground lamb or beef with lots of onion, sealed in a dough and deep fried. Its very yummy and has all the awesome parts like juicy meat, hot broth, and crispy skin of the dough.*

I also love the simplicity of a classic cheesburger. Guess what we made hahaha

We took basic ground beef 80/20, added a little bit more onion to it, salt pepper, pickles, american cheese, ketchup and mustard.

Quick deep fry, and wowzers was it amazing

BNbhdA5.jpg

XLc6jXs.jpg

KUbOlAv.jpg

uzuxbhz.jpg

OVWVDXu.jpg

s60TkHF.jpg

So me and my wife made a little experiment that turned out to be super awesome and tasty.*

There is a Crimean dish called "Chebureki", which is basically ground lamb or beef with lots of onion, sealed in a dough and deep fried. Its very yummy and has all the awesome parts like juicy meat, hot broth, and crispy skin of the dough.*

I also love the simplicity of a classic cheesburger. Guess what we made hahaha

We took basic ground beef 80/20, added a little bit more onion to it, salt pepper, pickles, american cheese, ketchup and mustard.

Quick deep fry, and wowzers was it amazing

BNbhdA5.jpg

XLc6jXs.jpg

KUbOlAv.jpg

uzuxbhz.jpg

OVWVDXu.jpg

s60TkHF.jpg

Wowzers Roman! That's some "fusion" cooking for sure...a "Crimean American Cheeseburger"...Fantastic food truck idea!

Last edited:
I'll have what he's having. Looking good IE.

On 2nd thought, I won't. I have meatloaf on the grill. Can't remember if I've ever grilled one before. So far it's smelling good. Also grilled baked taters and green salad. Lot's of iced tea with garden mint.

I am planning chicken tornadoes topped with aonion and rhubarb quick pickle with a few juniper berries thrown in, asparagus mousse and wild rice. I hope the Elders like it.
That worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20180607_172017.jpg
    IMG_20180607_172017.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20180607_172003.jpg
    IMG_20180607_172003.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 162
I canned 16 pints of pinto beans, then made some beans from hell from the leftover beans that didn't fit in the jars. Chili with mac. Whole grain toast with brie and more toast with hummus. And salads with lettuce, tomatoes, cottage cheese.

Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich with some fries for me.

The weather is sketchy here, so no outdoor cooking. A tree was blown down up the street from me. Not good grilling weather.

I just happened to have the right stuff for a BLT, and some Ore-Ida fries in the freezer, so that's what I made. The bacon was some thick-cut bacon I got on sale a few weeks ago. It made a very meaty BLT.

BTW, it was a Bradford Pear tree -- a "trash tree" someone planted because they were "so pretty back home in... not Texas. It never had a chance, and it's no loss.

CD

Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich with some fries for me.

The weather is sketchy here, so no outdoor cooking. A tree was blown down up the street from me. Not good grilling weather.

I just happened to have the right stuff for a BLT, and some Ore-Ida fries in the freezer, so that's what I made. The bacon was some thick-cut bacon I got on sale a few weeks ago. It made a very meaty BLT.

BTW, it was a Bradford Pear tree -- a "trash tree" someone planted because they were "so pretty back home in... not Texas. It never had a chance, and it's no loss.

CD

DSC02606.jpgDSC03737.jpg

Bradford pear trees line the streets in our condo complex and look good all year long and especially in the Spring. Not sure why you would think it’s a trash tree.

I had a couple pieces of "dog cheese" what is dog cheese you ask? It's a very tasty Manchengo that Mom and Dad didn't like and they were feeding it to Jethro. I said, "I would like some dog cheese, too"...Dad sent me home with the rest of it and Jethro only had Jarlsburg to eat tonight.

View attachment 30232View attachment 30233

Bradford pear trees line the streets in our condo complex and look good all year long and especially in the Spring. Not sure why you would think it’s a trash tree.

Because they don't belong here. Silver Maples are beautiful in New England, but they are trash trees in North Texas. Like Bradford Pear trees, they grow fast, which is why homebuilders used to plant them here, but they don't stand a chance of a long life in North Texas. Bradford Pear trees and Silver Maples have, at best, a fifteen year life span here. My Dallas Suburb has banned them, because they just don't survive here.

Good trees are native trees. They are trees that grow in the wild in North Texas. In a city like Dallas, where most residents are not from here, a lot of things get planted that are not meant to grow here.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. That is very true for trees and plants. If you move from one place to another, you have to adapt your yard and garden to your new conditions.

CD

I think I got it. You're calling them trash trees because they don't live long in Texas and become eyesores. You should come up with a term that doesn't make it sound like it's the tree's fault.

Bradford pear trees are pretty up north, Andy, but they can be fragile. We had one on the curb lawn of our last home in OH - nice full tree, a bigger crown than the trees on your street. Then we were hit with an early May snowstorm - about six inches of heavy, wet slop. When it was done, about a third of the crown was broken and laying on the ground. I know our old home city back in OH no longer allows Bradford pears to be planted on curb lawns anymore. They ARE pretty, though.

Oh, supper. After swapping cars at our mechanic's, we did an Aldi/Lowe's/Trader Joe's run. Somehow, someway, a Mama Cosi pizza ended up in our cart at Aldi. :huh: Himself usually slips one in when I'm looking a different direction. They're big, and cheap, and with a little doctoring up (more pepperoni for him, more veggies for me, a bit more cheese all around) they're good for the price. So we had pizza.

I think I got it. You're calling them trash trees because they don't live long in Texas and become eyesores. You should come up with a term that doesn't make it sound like it's the tree's fault.
That's not exactly it. They're called trash trees because they have undesirable characteristics, and not just in Texas. They were bred to grow fast, to fill in new subdivisions quickly, but that makes the wood weak, so they're prone to breaking in a storm. They are also invasive in some areas.

The term trash tree is not something casey made up. It's commonly used in horticulture.

DH asked if I wanted pizza for dinner. I said sure. So we ordered one [emoji2]

Last edited:
Bit of a cheat, we had a shop made chicken breast with cheese and bacon as my pork with white beans and Guinness wasn't going to be ready in time.
Despite the looks of it there was only 6g of fat. Winner!

Back
Top Bottom