Thursday, September 14, 2023, what are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Grilled chicken and vegetables plus EPCOT cheese bread.
20230914_181634.jpg

I tried out a new-to-me recipe for a Danish fusion dish: chicken in curry. This one had a whole bunch of spinach. It was really good. When the spinach is in season, I guess it just tastes better. We both enjoyed it. I didn't have as much cooked, brown basmati rice as I thought I did, so we had some wholemeal bread with that as well as a bit of rice.

Spinatgryde med kylling - Spinach dish with chicken (and Madras curry paste), brown basmati ri...jpg
Spinatgryde med kylling - Spinach dish with chicken (and Madras curry paste).jpg

Andy, have no idea why that struck me so... but don't believe I have ever heard anyone talk/mention pastrami since, I don't know, maybe since Hector was a puppy? WOW - must be a Montrealer thing, eh taxy?

Ginny, Learn ye this, ask the dragn and a fountain opens that is impossible to fit a stopper in.
I had a slab of frozen Angus ground beef, fried in a little pan, that also had half of a very large French Shallot, sliced and softened, along with it. Placed them on a (defrosted) Brioche bun that had been smeared (on the bottom half) with Horseradish Mustard. On top of the ground beef was the shallot (which I had forgotten to mention, had been sprinkled, from the appropriate height, with salt and freshly ground pepper), and then all topped with some sweet green relish and with a squeezed huge squiggle of ketchup. Plunked on the top part of the brioche and devoured in several bites with a bit of finger licking in between.

I will say I was going to add some fresh slices of tomato and apple but was too busy plucking parsley leaves from stems for the dehydrator to bother... plus the glass of wine kept getting in the way... pesky glass.
I had also thought about doing some fries but again the thought came and went along with a gazillion other ideas that never make it to the table.

Yeah, in Montreal we almost never talk about pastrami. We have our "smoked meat" (which is a form of pastrami) and we like that. We sometimes talk about the differences between our "smoked meat" and pastrami from elsewhere.

Andy, have no idea why that struck me so... but don't believe I have ever heard anyone talk/mention pastrami since, I don't know, maybe since Hector was a puppy? . . .
I'm a lifelong fan of pastrami. When I was very young-less than 10 years old. My mom would take me into Boston on a series of busses, trolleys and subways. A regular stop was the Essex Delicatessen. I was fascinated by the place. A big stainless steel bowl of half sour pickles on the table and I'd have a pastrami sandwich for lunch.

As a teenager out for a night of excitement with my pals, drinking soft drinks, we'd end up in Boston at Ken's Deli for a pastrami sandwich. The tradition continued when I was first married and we toured a marketplace in Boston that had a lot of food stalls and restaurants. Pastrami sandwiches again.

Now, I buy the pastrami and make my own sandwiches.

We bought some pastrami from Katz's Deli not too long ago, still have enough for 2 more sandwiches in the freezer... :unsure:. We enjoyed it, but must say, our local Winco sells some very good pastrami! My favorite way for sandwiches is to steam the meat, top with a slice of provolone, and serve on a crusty roll. The best part of the Katz meat was I kept the "broth" so I could dunk the meat in it, prior to putting it on the roll.

In L.A. we enjoyed a place called Johnny's Pastrami. Must say that it changed over the years...but it was good stuff. Personally, I loved the way another L.A. place, Pinocchio's, served their pastrami with a tomato and pepperoncini "relish"...yum!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom