Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My peppers are still going strong. Everything else is slowing down dramatically. Okra tried a final rally so I made another pot of gumbo. I plan to make chicken tinola when I pull out the pepper plants. I generally use chayote squash for the green papaya. https://panlasangpinoy.com/filipino-chicken-tinola-recipe/

Any pepper leaves work. Until a few years ago, I did not know pepper leaves were edible.

Had an issue with fruit flies. We have a peach tree right outside the kitchen. All of the peaches have been dropping this past week, attracting fruit flies, and some have made it in the house hovering over my ripening tomatoes. I think we finally got it under control, but what a pain in the butt.

Harvested over the last couple of days. Canning pizza sauce today, hoping to get 8 to 9 pints of sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 92
Hey Cooking Kids,
Wisconsin just got it's first frost warning today. Our garden is all pulled up, except for the kale and lettuce garden. All the landscape fabric dried, brushed, and rolled.

What a great year. Green beans, corn (bought from farmer), kale, 98 qts thick tomato sauce, 105 pints of salsa, we have 5 lbs of tomatoes left for eating. Lots of sweet sour pickles (we won't grow cucumbers for canning next year). Dehydrated 30 some zucchini for zucchini bread this winter. Dried the celery for a celery powder. Green and hatch peppers did GREAT, chopped for the freezer for winter. All the herbs harvested, some still drying, a few plants brought in for winter, thyme and lemon grass. We're still eating delicata squash, potatoes, uzbec golden carrots, and onions in the downstairs pantry. Garlic hasn't been planted yet. We have a load of composted manure coming, then to till the 3 tillable gardens.

A lot of fruit went on sale this summer for about 99 cents/lb, nectarines, peaches, grapes in 3 colors, strawberries, plums. We made each of them into fruit purees/concentrates for spreading on bread, and 20 lbs of grapes into raisins (green grapes), sweet as candy.

We're tearing out the thornless black berries, it's just too cold in winter for them to produce a good crop. We'll replace them with raspberries hardy for zone 4.

It looks like everyone had a pretty good year.

Hey Cooking Kids,
Wisconsin just got it's first frost warning today. Our garden is all pulled up, except for the kale and lettuce garden. All the landscape fabric dried, brushed, and rolled.

What a great year. Green beans, corn (bought from farmer), kale, 98 qts thick tomato sauce, 105 pints of salsa, we have 5 lbs of tomatoes left for eating. Lots of sweet sour pickles (we won't grow cucumbers for canning next year). Dehydrated 30 some zucchini for zucchini bread this winter. Dried the celery for a celery powder. Green and hatch peppers did GREAT, chopped for the freezer for winter. All the herbs harvested, some still drying, a few plants brought in for winter, thyme and lemon grass. We're still eating delicata squash, potatoes, uzbec golden carrots, and onions in the downstairs pantry. Garlic hasn't been planted yet. We have a load of composted manure coming, then to till the 3 tillable gardens.

A lot of fruit went on sale this summer for about 99 cents/lb, nectarines, peaches, grapes in 3 colors, strawberries, plums. We made each of them into fruit purees/concentrates for spreading on bread, and 20 lbs of grapes into raisins (green grapes), sweet as candy.

We're tearing out the thornless black berries, it's just too cold in winter for them to produce a good crop. We'll replace them with raspberries hardy for zone 4.

It looks like everyone had a pretty good year.

Looks like you've been busy. All that canning, drying, preserving and processing seems like a fool time job :) Well worth it in the end.

Ive ont a lot more of it this year. Now that the kids moved out, I tried to keep the quarts of tomatoes to about 25, But the tomato year was so good, they kept coming and coming and I had not other choice but too continue processing and freezing. Im in he mid 40's now and still have several dozen ripening. I think the vines are finally done. Weather permitting, I ll go out today, pick what's left and star trippin them up. Honestly, except for swapping out maybe 2 plants for different varieties Im not changing a thing for next year with tomatoes. Whatever I did, I did it a whole lot better this year than past years.

Got a few large jars oof pickles that I've been snacking up. Still nice and crisp.

Potatoes Ive frozen a few bags of Fries and a few bags of grated potatoes for hashes and other stuff. Still good 1/2 my potatoes to harvest. Just kept them n the ground for a bit, cause I only had so much time and space for them. But they'll all come out soon.

French cut a bunch of string beans, blanched and froze for later use.

Got some winter squashes in a nice harvest basket in the kitchen. Now serving their purpose as fall decoration but will ultimately wind up in a soup or on a plate somehow.

okra frozen In soup side portions ( my primary use for them is in vegetable soup)

Still awaiting to be harvested is Peanuts, Sweet potatoes , water chestnuts ,1/2 my potatoes, A few eggplants and a bunch of peppers. We still have a month before our first projected frost.

Fall crops got a bunch of leaf lettuce which should be ready in a week, along with arugula, spinach, kale, Cabbages and rutabaga Im questioning if they will have the time to mature, and the brussel sprouts just haven't taken off, so Im guessing they wont make it unless a very mild beginning of winter, but even then, not sure they'll have the light to mature. Im kind of annoyed, cause I got them ( live plants) from Burpee, who I usually have success with, and they were packaged so poorly. It looks like whoever delivered them were playing soccer with the box or something. All separated from their cells, cirt all over. I salvaged the plants, but was very disappointed. I got tomato plants from them earlier in the year and they came wrapped differently, in a much better way. It also took hem over 2 weeks to process and deliver my order. That 2 weeks may have made the difference of them maturing or not ( especially in the crapy condition they came in).

Also have parsley, dill and cilantro in large pots that Im hoping to get a nice good bunch of. Dill for freezing, Cilantro for a chutney and the parsley usually keeps well throughout the whole winter. Ive dug it out to use from under the snow in past winters.

Built a new raised bed for zucchini next year. this past year I had extra plants and tossed them in an area I thought they wouldn't do well, but had no place else to put them. They did so well, and being separated from he the squash plants, avoided any serious insect or mildew damage. kind like the good old, dont keep your eggs all in one basket thing. So, I built them a new home for next year in the same location. Its a very high raised bed ( about 3 feet). They are kinda close to a fence , so im hoping this extra height will allow them to get a little more sun and do even better.

Also got a third planting of cucumbers that are still chugging a long. Not anywhere close as productive as the summer, and lost half the vines to wilt ( which I definitely have to solve that problem next year), but im managing a cute or two even other day which , with all the tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onions I got, has allowed me to have fresh gazpacho multiple times during the week.

Garlic beds basically ready too go. Spread a few inches of my chicken compost ( All my compost goes into the chicken run, where the chickens ( not chicken) break them down rather quickly. then , When I clean the run, I compost it in its own pile to break it down even further, and give it time so it's not 'hot'. Its worked pretty well over the years. Garlic will go in in 2 weeks or so.

Oh yeah, got a bunch of carrots in too. A few different varieties , that are theoretically good for overwintering. Ill find out .

Now just waiting for my first catalogue to come to start planning next year :)

Will probably spend the next few weeks looking over my notes to see what needs changes and tweaking, and what I should repeat for next year.

Larry, looks like you had an awesome year. Except for having plants shipped to you, that's always a little tough. You are still working so how you have time for anything is beyond me. We start all our plants from seeds, which saves us some trouble and expense. I think we talked about winter sown seeds already. We bought 4 plants this spring, herbs, and we bought locally, 1 block away on a large acreage, a woman started some huge green houses, and now sells in 4 different locations. We could buy everything we need there but it would be too expensive for us.

One thing that I saw this summer. We have 3 tillable gardens. In our east garden, we had planted our garlic, and our onions. Everything in that garden did well and didn't suffer much bug damage AT ALL. So our potatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, beans, and kale....nearly bug free. This fall, since we rotate crops, we'll be putting our garlic in both the south garden and the west garden. Then in spring, the onions will also get spread out widely too. They seem to help so much.

I've been paying attention to how much of each thing we eat, to get my inventory right for us. I make whole wheat spaghetti with a tomato mushroom sauce once a week, using 2 quarts of thick tomato sauce. There are 52 weeks in a year, that pretty much uses up our tomato sauce. I and my husband keep a bmi of 19, and 22 respectively, so ww spaghetti and tomato mushroom sauce isn't doing us any harm. It's one of our favorite meals and we use that unseasoned sauce for many other things.

I did some fermenting this fall too. I already have enough sauerkraut, so I fermented cucumbers and green beans, into pickles. I just transferred them into the fridge recently. I made 2 5-gallon buckets of nectarine pit vinegar which is still going. I should have 8 gallons of 'free' vinegar to use in salad dressings and for cleaning within the next month or so. I'll be so glad when all the produce and fermenting buckets aren't using up floor space!

We've tried to grow a red potato, but it got scab in past years, so we just grow kennebec potatoes, which are moist and creamy, and beautiful skin too. We like these so much more than what we can buy the fluffy and drier russets, but russets are so inexpensive we also eat those, we just won't grow those. There never seems to be enough space to grow all the potatoes we eat because we eat a lot of them. I haven't canned or dried potatoes, we go through them so fast. We have most of a refrigerator in the basement packed with potatoes and carrots from the garden.

I hope your peanut crop and waterchestnuts turn out great. Variety, the spice of life. Winter when we start making garden plans.....there are so many things we want to try. Seed catalogs are our christmas catalogs from childhood.

We seemed to have overcome the raccoon problem we had last year. We ended up trapping and disposing of 13 raccoon that were decimating our new beans each time we planted. This year, we had traps ready but no raccoons bothering us. We also had less deer this year than last, and less bugs all summer than last summer.

We bought temporary chicken wire fencing for the tillable gardens, which also helped, and a neighbor gave us a small scarecrow like thing, to keep the sandhill cranes out of the gardens. Raised gardens like you have have the advantage for the most part of not having too many animals bothering the food. (except your watermelon!)

We'll continue putting in more fruit trees this next year, we usually add a few each year and see what survives, zone 4b. From now until the ground is frozen, we'll be trying to improve the soil, manure, compost, straw, so that next year we get a good crop of everything.

Beth, I love seeing all your pictures of your tomatoes and peppers and hearing about your canning, pizza sauce, yum. This last week we went from 12 gallons of tomatoes ripening in different stages, then after salsa, we have 2 lbs of eating tomatoes, and I finished chopping peppers for the freezer, so those are gone too. Our fall came so quick we went from over abundance to 'where are our tomatoes!'

Pepperhead, you sure picked the right name! So many peppers. And I enjoyed the dehydrator pictures too, you've got so much variety in what you dehydrate. NJ must be a good place to garden!

Yes, that's the logo on our license plates - THE GARDEN STATE. However, it's not what it used to be, as much of those areas growing foods, while I was growing up, are now housing developments - the reason NJ is the most densely populated state in the country. And some companies that used to grow their tomatoes here moved up north, because of the heat. Tomatoes don't like the heat, but most of my peppers love it!

SOW, I still have some tomatoes and peppers out there, and it's getting down in the 40s again the next two nights. The cold weather crops are doing well, except for the kale and kohlrabi, which something chewed all of the leaves off of! Yet nothing touched any of the other brassicas. Oh well...

I remember , back in my Philly days, going to the Italian market to buy produce. There was this one stand that sold "Jersey Tomatoes", Man, was the elderly woman selling them tough. I picked one up just to get a closer look, and I thought she was going to climb over the table and assault me. I never touched another tomato after that, as I feared my life. But, the tomatoes were great.

I also remember A sign at another farmers market above the peaches that read " You'd be soft too if 100 people a day picked you up and squeezed you". Dont think that was a Jersey thing, but kinda felt like it :) Being from NY, I take it with a grain of salt and actually love the attitude.

Getting ready to pull ours up. It was a disappointing season.

Tried a different dirt supplier fir the raised beds. It was terrible. Too hot and stunted everything. The other dirt had ants nests and they nibbled on most of the transplants.

Only one bed had good dirt and it grew like crazy. Tomatoes and tomatillos were just starting to pop and we had two weeks of heavy smoke cover which turned the switch off due to cold temps. They may still make a small comeback. We've barely had enough at a time for salads and snacking.

Oh, well. If it wasn't a challenge and learning experience it wouldn't be called gardening. It would be called eating.

I remember , back in my Philly days, going to the Italian market to buy produce. There was this one stand that sold "Jersey Tomatoes", Man, was the elderly woman selling them tough. I picked one up just to get a closer look, and I thought she was going to climb over the table and assault me. I never touched another tomato after that, as I feared my life. But, the tomatoes were great.

I also remember A sign at another farmers market above the peaches that read " You'd be soft too if 100 people a day picked you up and squeezed you". Dont think that was a Jersey thing, but kinda felt like it :) Being from NY, I take it with a grain of salt and actually love the attitude.

I was doing some reading on the camino de santiago, in spain, and they don't allow customers to touch the produce, it's cultural. Then I looked up Italy, and even before this recent covid deal, they also don't allow customers to touch the produce.
This also makes the produce delicate to the touch, even if you don't have the outsized fear of germs that most Italians have. The Italian Food Rule – Don't Touch the Fruits and Vegetables – has its basis in both the protection of the produce and the desire to reduce the spread of disease.Jul 3, 2012
from Italian Food Rule – Don’t Touch the Fruits and Vegetables | Tuscan Traveler

We harvested the last of the zucchini today and I made a big pan of onions, zucchini, S&P. Then I tore out the lettuce/kale garden raised bed with cover frame near the deck, where I grow salads and greens. They were getting decimated by moth/worms. I have a big patch of kale out in one of the tilled gardens. It looks fabulous, not eaten up by bugs except for one end of it, and that will get sprayed tonight. Hopefully I'll harvest it all in the next month as it should be pretty frost resistant.

Vinylhanger, I hope next year is a better year for your gardens. Some years are great, others not so much!

Sorry to hear about how the season went, Vinylhanger. I hope next season goes better!

I got 3 more trash cans of garden trash out for them today. Okra plants all pulled, and a few pepper plants. And I severely trimmed the bay laurel and the two kaffir lime trees, as always, getting ready to bring them in for the cold season. When I get them up on the table, at eye level, I will trim a little more, but I got most of it today.

Need any bay leaves?! :LOL:
Trimmed bay leaves, 10-4 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the plants before trimming:
Two kaffir limes and the bay laurel, before trimming, 10-04 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the trimmed trees - I have to trim that rosemary behind them, too! And that's just my backup plant, that I'll stick on the back porch, in case it gets too cold.
3 severely trimmed plants, getting them ready to go inside for the cold season. 10-4 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Wow, you really took them to the barber:LOL:
There my first thought when I saw the pic of the Pruned Bay leaves in the garden was " Crap, I'd love to have my hands on those ". It was just an instinctive thought, as I have a bay plant of my own. Its a sorry looking plant, as I got it mid season, and it never quite took off , but still provides me with more than I need.

My kaffir lime , after about 10 years and often producing fruit, finally move on to greener pastures last year ( I killed it).

Got a few Meyer Lemons that I need to prune and get inside soon. They often flower so much over the winter, but rarely produce anything, even with me pollinating and all. The amount of flowers they produce is amazing, and the smell of the flowers is a nice welcome in the middle of the winter. Only time I got fruit was when I bought the damn things ( 10 + years ago).

Got 2 Yuzu Citrus plants, that are supposed to be extremely cold hardy. May put them to the test this winter. , although one actually has ripening fruit on it too Ill probably keep it inside.

My coffee plant still has a few dozen unripe coffee beans on it. Ill have to bring that and the cinnamon tree it soon. Already moved them to the garage( keep door open every day so they get their sun) to minimize the shock. Many times they lose a lot of leaves during the transition.

Pineapple looks nice and healthy, hoping it produces this year, its due.

Very disappointed with my fig trees this year. Last year I spent a whole morning wrapping them up properly. This year, when I removed the wrappings, %90 of the plant branches were alive and staring to bud leaves. I was so excited that they had that head start, and didnt have to start up from root level again. They are on a south facing wall so get decent sun and close enough to the house to be insulated from high winds and other things. They doubled in size, but no fruit. Not even one out of the 4 plants. Last year I had 3 figs from one plant, so I figured this year would be a ,much better year, but nothing. Usually after pruning I make cuttings ( which actually root really well in the aquaponics), but no use in having more plants that dont produce.

Already cleaned off my table next to the decent sunny window in my house for the plants.

Forgot to mention that my asparagus bed will will be 3 years old so I can finally start harvesting. Looking forward to the spring.

We have a 25 year old asparagus bed that is starting to die off. Then on the lot line, we used to have a fence there, and some wild asparagus grew. Once the fence came down, it grew and expanded this past 10 years so now it is in its prime.

Last year we grew mary washington seeds by winter sown methods and started a new bed. So it was successful, and we planted peppermint as ground cover for it, and we'll put in another this spring. And then another the next spring. We are crazy for asparagus and eat it for months when it is in season.

This is this years new asparagus bed, picture taken this past 2 weeks.
gardendehydratormask_016.jpg

The light green is asparagus, the dark green is the peppermint, which I trimmed back to 4 inches after this picture. The light colored mulch is grass clippings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom