Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I harvested the last of my oregano before our deep freeze. I'm using it with some fresh dill and fresh thyme (plants bought in the produce section recently keeping inside) in my marinade for my lamb chops. It's steeping right now.

Our kale comes up the second year and then goes to seed, which takes all summer to fully develop but I can get some leaves in spring. So it's good if you dig them out and make room for something else. Same with parsley, some in spring then it goes to seed.

I harvested the last of my oregano before our deep freeze. I'm using it with some fresh dill and fresh thyme (plants bought in the produce section recently keeping inside) in my marinade for my lamb chops. It's steeping right now.

They turned out soooooo good!
20231127_231259.jpg

When I was regularly planting stuff in my garden, I left the parsley. The second year it went to seed. The leaves were less abundant, but still usable. The year after that I got a whole bunch more "first year" parsley coming up. Then, for a number of years, I got both first and second year parsley every year. It all got annihilated when the ductless air conditioner got installed, right next to the parsley plot. I should throw some seeds out there and see what happens.

The outside garden is still kicking out veggies. Today I harvested my rutabagas, just to find out that there was a rogue turnip seed amongst the others ( or just a different genetic make up). The big one has white flesh as opposed to the others which have yellow flesh. The white one its the only one that plumped up. All seeds taken from the same packet. Either way, it will get eaten. Also parsley, lettuce, kale and arugula still alive and producing.

No offence for the wonderful turnips, but the picture of your kitten is my Fav. 😍

Well, lucky for Kevin! He weighs less than the turnip. So the obvious choice for the pot is the turnip.
But you should post that picture next to Kevin's dish, just to remind him not to get too big or else.....

Here's my last chard from the front flowerbed. I always use chard with some colors.
The magenta variety of Swiss chard, larger than the Burpee ruby variety. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All the Swiss chard harvested on 12-2 - last of the season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And the last 2 bok choy, along with a very small one, that grew next to the larger one.
Last two bok choy of '23 (plus a little one, next to the largest). Burpee Pachay - best new one this year. Seems resistant to heat, as well as cold. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I harvested the last things today, since I saw the freezing is coming soon, again, and I got the last of the SIPs emptied, and under the tarps. The chard in the front I just cut back to the small leaves - it might grow some more, otherwise, I figure it will die back, and maybe come back and go to seed in spring.

New year, still harvesting greens out of the garden ( although next week may put an end to it). Lettuce and arugula for dinner. Kale, chard, parsley and the occasional shiitake mushroom still doing their thing. Nothing under row covers yet. Got lazy. Not sure if Ill get them covered before we get a string of sub freezing weather.

Attachments

• Greens .png
    Greens .png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
New year, still harvesting greens out of the garden ( although next week may put an end to it). Lettuce and arugula for dinner. Kale, chard, parsley and the occasional shiitake mushroom still doing their thing. Nothing under row covers yet. Got lazy. Not sure if Ill get them covered before we get a string of sub freezing weather.
This is pretty late for you, isn't it? Have you had any snow yet?

I so wish we were harvesting greens this time of year! We started buying greens again last month. It's so good to see @pepperhead212 and @larry_stewart .
This is the second or 3rd year I've been getting greens this time of year. Parsley I usually pick even if I have to dig it up under the snow. kale almost always comes back in the spring ( usually goes to flower, but I use the un opened florets/ stems in stir fries like I would broccoli. They actually come up about the same time as the ramps do, so I cook them together). Usually I have the kale covered by this time, so I can assure I'll get that early spring crop. I've been lazy. Maybe Ill do it next week it it survives the winter-like weather we're supposed to get over the weekend.

This is pretty late for you, isn't it? Have you had any snow yet?
No snow. It is late, although the last few years I've been harvesting into January. Only a few times it dipped below freezing, but not for enough time to do damage. The lettuce will get hit first, then the arugula. The kale and parsley are the most hardy, and can usually survive even if buried with snow. I actually have 2 cute little broccoli's that never quite matured. I always try to get a fall crop of broccoli, cabbage ... but they always run out of time.

We usually have a cold frame over the raised bed with parsley and lettuce type things. That extends the growing season at least a month into the fall/winter, also starts the season sooner in spring. Ours is very old, we bought wood and plastic to make a new one but we haven't made it yet (we've been building hives and supers). Since I let huge amounts of parsley go to seed in it last year on the left half, chances are there are seeds that planted themselves by fall and I'd expect early parsley from seed in the spring. Plus I saved a lot of parsley seed for planting.

I planted some parsley one year. The next year it came back as second year parsley. It's biennial. But that was edible too. The year after that I had both first year and second year parsley, which continued for about five or six years. I didn't do anything with that parsley than harvest some when I wanted to use parsley. Okay, I watered it when we had drought or near drought conditions, but no covers or frames. I don't even remember weeding, except for pulling out baby trees. Parsley is very cold hardy. I should put out some plants and seeds this spring.

Today I trimmed most of the overgrown hydroponics plants I had; still some leaf lettuce that I need to trim, and on Monday I trimmed that epazote, to take up to the Mexican grocery. All of these things were just one plant each, and I have used some of all of them, many times, but they keep growing back!
Russian kale, from the hydroponics, 1-26 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai basil, from the hydroponics, 1-26 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Bok choy, from the hydroponics, 1-26. Finally started bolting after 5 previous harvests. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dill from the hydroponics, some turned brown, because it was against the lights. 1-26 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cilantro, from hydroponics, 1-26. No bolting yet, which is unusual for me, even indoors. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Looks great. Nothing better than the smell of fresh basil in the middle of the winter.

Was pretty cold last week. All my outside stuff was covered with snow/ Ice. It's possible the snow may have protected them from the bitter cold ( I never got around to covering anything). I.ve been away the past few days ( up in Boston). I checked my cameras and it looks like al the snow melted. curious to see if anything survived .

Picked these last week ( when they were covered with ice and snow). I always plant a fall crop of broccoli, and they usually run out of time. I follow the directions and count back from the first frost date .....but I'm much more successful with the spring planing, This is actually the most productive fall broccoli planting I've ever had.

Attachments

• Baby Broccoli.png
    Baby Broccoli.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Picked these last week ( when they were covered with ice and snow). I always plant a fall crop of broccoli, and they usually run out of time. I follow the directions and count back from the first frost date .....but I'm much more successful with the spring planing, This is actually the most productive fall broccoli planting I've ever had.
They are cute. They make me think of Brussels sprouts. That's how I thought the individual sprouts grew, each out of its own spot on the ground. I was so surprised the first time I saw an actual Brussels sprout growing, at the Botanical Garden, here in Montreal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom