Tuesday August 22, 2023. What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xocolatl

Senior Cook
As it's quite hot here, my dinner was cool. I made tuna salad, tzatziki and spicy olives and served it with bread.
368291308_6196330800493431_2238252462057304026_n.jpg

@Xocolatl What's your recipe for the tzatziki? That's something I always like, and always have yogurt on hand. And how 'bout the spicy olives - do you make those?

Too early here, but I sort of know what I'll be working on, because I had to harvest a damaged butternut today. So it will be an Indian dish with that, and some eggplant, and other things from out there.

Last edited:
We'll be having Nathan's beef hot dogs, with purchased coleslaw and potato salad. Craig makes something he calls Cony Island sauce for his dog with stewed tomatoes, onion and garlic plus whatever else he uses. I use yellow mustard and sweet pickle relish for mine.

Its Wednesday here. (Day ahead)
But I'm doing rissoles mash spuds and peas. An old fashioned meal I had a lot growing up. Comfort food. Wife will take leftovers to work tomorrow. Rissoles that is.

Russ
I’m curious about how you make your rissoles.

Do you include grated vegetables, liver or ground beef, breadcrumbs, etc…?

I’ve often wondered if rissoles started as a struggle meal that could feed a large family using a small amount of meat.

I’m curious about how you make your rissoles.

Do you include grated vegetables, liver or ground beef, breadcrumbs, etc…?

I’ve often wondered if rissoles started as a struggle meal that could feed a large family using a small amount of meat.

I grew up in a state house ( gooberment subsidized) 1 parent family of 4. Definitely cheap food .
500gms sausage meat 1 big onion chopped up squirt tomato sauce and little Worcestershire ( worst ever sauce)
Mixed and formed into patties coated in breadcrumbs then shallow fried. Better cold next day. We had about once every 10 days?

Russ

Almost a rinse and repeat of last night: String beans with potatoes, cornbread, fried green tomatoes, cold fried chicken, green onion, pickled cucumbers and pickled beets.

Basically, after my weekend canning fun, I am using up odds and ends and trying to clear the fridge. Tasty though!!!

20230822_173917.jpg

I made a delicious curry with those sprouted moth gram, and about 1/2 c cooked ones added. An Indian friend of mine gave me those beans (a 4 lb bag), and asked me to cook some for her, because her daughter borrowed her IP! I asked her if she ever sprouted any, and she hasn't, so I told her I'd make something for them with sprouts. And I had a damaged butternut squash I had to harvest, and despite being early, I got a lot from it. And here are those sprouts, that took barely over 24 hrs, including soaking:
Another 4 hours later, and over 3 c of sprouts, ready to cook, or refrigerate. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The curry I made in the Instant Pot, starting with and onion and bell pepper, sautéed in some olive oil, with a generous amount of minced garlic and ginger minced briefly. Then I cooked about 2 tb of chole masala powder briefly, then added about 2 c of tomatoes, blended medium fine, and cooked about 10 minutes, or until fairly thick. Then I added the squash, and 2 cut up eggplants, the sprouts, the half cup or so of cooked moth gram (what didn't fit in my friend's two containers), and a little more water. I pressure cooked them 8 minutes, then let it release naturally, before uncovering. Then I stirred in a tsp of garam masala, and simmered while making the tarka. Added that, then about 1/4 c of chopped cilantro.
Seasonings for the moth gram sprout curry, plus the tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Veggies for the curry - was going to add something else, but had too much of the butternut! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the sprouted moth gram, and some cooked ones, added to the vegetables. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The tarka on top, after pressure cooking 8 minutes, then releasing naturally, before stirring in about 1/4 c cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished curry, with some butternut and eggplant, plus the sprouted moth gram. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We had wholewheat fusilli in a vodka cream sauce. There was also onion, fennel, garlic, bacon, white pepper, a smidge of nutmeg, lemon rind, lemon juice, and Pecorino Romano. There was a salad with that. There was a lot of rainbow chard in it. I got a produce box delivery today. The chard was a bit squashed and quite a few leaves had to be used now or never. There was also greencrisp lettuce, shaved red onion, peas, corn kernels, and chunks of mango (to counter any bitter from the large amount of chard), dressed with my batch vinaigrette.

I'm definitely going to experiment with that recipe. It was good.

Fusilli in a vodka cream sauce and a salad with mango.jpg

Its Wednesday here. (Day ahead)
But I'm doing rissoles mash spuds and peas. An old fashioned meal I had a lot growing up. Comfort food. Wife will take leftovers to work tomorrow. Rissoles that is.

Russ
I’m in Australia so these threads are always a day behind 😉
I just post in the most recent thread, like you have. 🫠

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom