Vinegar bad for teeth and mouth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything acid could erode the enamel of the teeth ( which does not grow back ,so once its gone, its basically gone without dental intervention ( fillings, crowns, veneers ...). Initially there will be sensitivity ( usually to cold), then the enamel will thing out ( kinda getting translucent at the incised edges), then chipping will start to occur , exposing the second layer of the tooth ( denim), teeth will start to become cold sensitive, and the second layer being exposed will make the teeth more prone to decay, since it is a weaker, less protected layer.

Acid includes, but is not limited to Vinegar, lemon/ citrus juices, carbonated beverages ...
Also People with reflux/ GERD , the stomach acids will have the same ( if not greater) effects on the enamel ( including people with Bulemia)

Although avoiding acidic foods is close to impossible, rinsing , brushing and flossing after eating will dilute the acids and make the teeth less susceptible to erosion. And fluoride rinses and tooth pastes could aid in remineralizing some small enamel defects.

Last edited:
It's definitely crucial to be mindful of acidic foods and their effects on enamel.

On a slightly different note, for those considering options like invisible braces, it's always a good idea to consult with a dentist or orthodontist to explore the best treatment plan for your specific needs. Taking care of your dental health is key, whether it's avoiding acidic foods or seeking orthodontic treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . I wouldn't gargle with it daily.

However, vinegar as part of a recipe for a meal shouldn't be matter of concern unless you have a specific illness/condition that is negatively effected by vinegar.

I thought apple cider vinegar was supposed to be good for you in general, or is that just hype?

Not sure I'd be eating vinegar daily, but I do often make a basic vinaigrette to save money on salad dressings. I also use it for cleaning.

I thought apple cider vinegar was supposed to be good for you in general, or is that just hype?

Not sure I'd be eating vinegar daily, but I do often make a basic vinaigrette to save money on salad dressings. I also use it for cleaning.
It's just hype. There's nothing magical about apple cider vinegar. It is delicious, though.

I use active apple cider (or other fruit) vinegar daily in my foods. I use it to moisten foods like beans and rice, on greens/brussel sprouts, to make salad dressings, and for starting the 9 grain flakes to ferment. I love using it because it is less harsh tasting then white vinegar. It tastes a little fruity.
I usually drink green tea, or water before, during, and after meals.
AC vinegar is good for digestion.

There have been clinical trials in the last few years that indicate that apple cider vinegar can help moderate blood sugar levels for type 2 diabetes. A teaspoon of unfiltered ACV, with the "mother," such as Bragg's, in a cup of water, or even some regular apple juice, does help.

There is also some evidence that unfiltered ACV with the mother works as an antioxidant.

ACV is very acidic, so it can be hard on your teeth. Drinking it in the morning before brushing your teeth would be a good time to do it.

CD

The norm for vinegar acidity in the USA is 5%. Vinegars like ACV or white vinegar will usually be at 5% acidity. Vinegars such as balsamic vinegar, red and white wine vinegars often exceed the 5% level. Percentages from 6% to 8% can be found. On the other hand, Chinese style rice/rice wine vinegar is less than 5% acidity so may be a better choice if acidity is an issue for you.

There have been clinical trials in the last few years that indicate that apple cider vinegar can help moderate blood sugar levels for type 2 diabetes. A teaspoon of unfiltered ACV, with the "mother," such as Bragg's, in a cup of water, or even some regular apple juice, does help.

There is also some evidence that unfiltered ACV with the mother works as an antioxidant.

ACV is very acidic, so it can be hard on your teeth. Drinking it in the morning before brushing your teeth would be a good time to do it.

CD
The research is contradictory and inconclusive.

I've read in the past that you shouldn't brush your teeth for at least 20 minutes are eating/drinking any acidic foods. Just a myth or is there some truth to it?

Brushing before drinking acidic drinks, or at least 30 minutes after is because acid weakens the enamel. Brushing while the enamel is weak removes more enamel.
Exactly! The combination of acid and friction increase the amount of wear significantly . Better off rinsing with water initially to dilute the acids.

Back
Top Bottom