What are your 2020 garden plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw someone on another Social Media Site, talk about a seed shortage.
Supposedly folks are hoarding Vegetable seeds now
shrug.png
As I'm not a gardener myself, has anyone else seen this in your areas?

I haven't seen it here, but it wouldn't surprise me . There was plenty to choose from when I got mine this week.

Will take some time to get the beds cleaned and repaired. Been a few years since we had a garden.
View attachment 40127

Ive noticed things out of stock on some of the catalogue sites I go to, but in the few garden stores I frequent, the seed shelves seemed pretty well stocked.

Supposedly folks are hoarding Vegetable seeds now...
I have also noticed many varieties out of stock, when looking up a variety I don't know about. I do most ordering I want very early, since some of the varieties I want every season are new ones, which disappear fast. Some gardeners on those other forums have noted this for a while, and some say the local stores have plenty of seeds, while others say the shelves are bare. I haven't really been anywhere to look!

Borrowed a friend's tractor and will till the garden today. Corn will go in the ground this weekend and Tomatoes after April 15th along with everything except peas and okra, those will go in about the end of April.

I order from Rareseeds and they were shut down for a week or so due to heavy volume.

We are getting a lateish start just due to busyness and weather. I missed the great sunny weather we had and it's been rain and sleet for a couple weeks now.

My fall garden is still producing greens, so I need to finish the raised beds today and fill with dirt since the fall garden is still mostly full. Then get to planting.

I doubt it's hoarding; rather, it's probably a supply problem. The suppliers may have had to lay off workers and so they wouldn't have the same volume to sell as they would have in past years.

I doubt it's hoarding; rather, it's probably a supply problem. The suppliers may have had to lay off workers and so they wouldn't have the same volume to sell as they would have in past years.

I'm going to guess that there are a lot of people gardening or thinking about gardening, now. Some people who have never tried it before and some who haven't done it in a while.

I don't really know much about time lapse photography, but if you have a 120 day growing season and you take two photos per day, that only gives you 240 photos. At 24 frames per second, that will only give you a 10 second video. I'm sure you can make it slower than 24 FPS, but it's still going to be really short.

In the video software that I use I can have the photo show as long as I want. When I import a photo the standard time is 10 seconds. But it's easy to increase or shorten the time.

We decided to rip out a row of Riesling grapes that always got diseased every year, never producing enough to use. I tried different sprays, different schedules, but couldn't keep them healthy. All our muscat vines have been fine though.
So yesterday I cut down most of those Riesling, and am building a new 20' x 18" raised bed where they were (up against property line, far left in the garden cam photo I posed before).
Neighbours gave us some old privacy fence panels, 6ft high lattice, will use those as climbers for the beans and cucumbers.

The seeds I restarted last week are mostly all doing great. Just my super-hot pepppers that seem to be sluggish.

We are seeing a shortage of Tomato plants in North GA. Everyone is grabbing them up as soon as they come to the stores. you can buy the slightly larger pots of tomato plants that are almost $4 each. but there are almost none of the 6 pack.

The last few years, I've seen places like HD, Lowe's, Walmart, etc. only selling those individual, outrageously priced vegetable plants, and the nurseries here only had a few varieties in 4-packs - nobody had any 6 packs. Fortunately, I start everything from seed, but I have noticed this just looking at other things, and I can't believe that people are paying for them.

On that note, almost all of my tomatoes gave germinated - only 2 out of the 20 varieties don't have a sign of sprouting. Tonight, if there's still no sign, I'm going to start soaking some of those seeds, and try to sprout them in a spoon or petri dish; in the mean time, I'll put some similar extra seedlings in those pots, and if they germinate in a few days, replace them. If not, I'll have extras of some favorites.

Peppers are just starting to germinate; eggplants are doing well, so much that I transferred several extra seedlings to spare pots. They will probably go to friends, assuming I don't lose any of the ones for my garden. All the cucurbits I start just a couple of weeks before transplanting, but last season it was earlier than normal, and so far, it looks like this year may be early, too.

I would love to grow some hot peppers in pots. Any suggestions for using seeds from fresh peppers? What do people think my chances are of germinating jalapeno seeds from some fresh, green jalapenos? I have read that jalapenos ripen to red, so I imagine these green ones aren't ripe and the seeds might not be usable. What about seeds from peppers that recently dried up naturally at room temperature?

We are still over 6 weeks away from the last average frost date here in the mountains at 7000 feet elevation. The fall planted garlic and asparagus is up. Have lettuce, spinach and peas under the portable hoop houses that started to germinate over the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 119
I would love to grow some hot peppers in pots. Any suggestions for using seeds from fresh peppers? What do people think my chances are of germinating jalapeno seeds from some fresh, green jalapenos? I have read that jalapenos ripen to red, so I imagine these green ones aren't ripe and the seeds might not be usable. What about seeds from peppers that recently dried up naturally at room temperature?
You are right - usually seeds don't germinate from unripe fruits, but sometimes they are very close to ripening, so you could try. And sometimes you'll see some jalapeños that have hints of ripening, and you could try those. When I harvest the last of my Thai and jyoti in the fall, and let them ripen/dry on the counter, and many turn red, even though they were picked green. So it's worth trying green jalapeño seeds.

You are right - usually seeds don't germinate from unripe fruits, but sometimes they are very close to ripening, so you could try. And sometimes you'll see some jalapeños that have hints of ripening, and you could try those. When I harvest the last of my Thai and jyoti in the fall, and let them ripen/dry on the counter, and many turn red, even though they were picked green. So it's worth trying green jalapeño seeds.

Thanks, any hints on how to germinate them? Also, what about the seeds from the dry peppers that were ripe. Should I soak the seeds first?

I'm not going to the stores myself, so I am limited in what peppers other people choose for me.

If you have some dry peppers, that were ripe, that would be good, as long as they weren't dried at a high temperature. Definitely soak them - I always soak them at least 12 hours, usually more, since I set them to soak the night before, and set the peppers first, followed by the tomato seeds, then, the next morning, I start planting the tomatoes first, ending with the tray of peppers. I soak them in a solution of saltpeter (1/4 tsp to a pint of water), but there are a lot of links on soaking in a bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution, as well. And when germinating them, heat is essential - I keep them at 85°, or a little higher. At lower temps it takes a lot longer!

Last edited:
If you have some dry peppers, that were ripe, that would be good, as long as they weren't dried at a high temperature. Definitely soak them - I always soak them at least 12 hours, usually more, since I set them to soak the night before, and set the peppers first, followed by the tomato seeds, then, the next morning, I start planting the tomatoes first, ending with the tray of peppers. I soak them in a solution of saltpeter (1/4 tsp to a pint of water), but there are a lot of links on soaking in a bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution, as well. And when germinating them, heat is essential - I keep them at 85°, or a little higher. At lower temps it takes a lot longer!

Thank you. Yes, they dried up, on their own, at room temperature. I eventually learned to leave peppers where they can dry up if I don't get to them. Far more useful dry than mouldy.

taxlady Were those jalapeños that you have dried? I'm curious, because usually they don't dry well at room temp, given the thick flesh. It is theorized that this was the reason that the Mexicans came up with smoking chipotles, and other smoked peppers - not so much for the delicious flavors, but to keep them from rotting first! I usually slit my jalapeños before dehydrating - even in there, that can take forever.

Good luck sprouting the seeds!

taxlady Were those jalapeños that you have dried? I'm curious, because usually they don't dry well at room temp, given the thick flesh. It is theorized that this was the reason that the Mexicans came up with smoking chipotles, and other smoked peppers - not so much for the delicious flavors, but to keep them from rotting first! I usually slit my jalapeños before dehydrating - even in there, that can take forever.

Good luck sprouting the seeds!

Nope, some habaneros and some long chillis. The jalapeños are still fairly fresh and plump. Once jalapeños start to look like they are wrinkling, I freeze them, if I won't be using them soon.

Back
Top Bottom