What did you eat Monday, July 10, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had roasted chicken breast and merguez sausages. I had leftover brown basmati rice and DH had some leftover fingerling potatoes. I made a salad of curly lettuce, romaine lettuce, Napa cabbage, carrot, celery, shaved red onion. I also made a creamy, ranch inspired dressing for the salad and put haskap berries, toasted pumpkin seeds, and radishes on the table for topping the salad. I'm very pleased how that turned out. DH really enjoyed it too.

Roast chicken breast and merguez sausages, fingerling potatoes, and a salad with ranchoid dres...jpg

Mussels. Got the sauce prepped. Was amazed in that only one! would not close prior to cooking! (usually there's at least 2 and sometimes a broken shell to toss)
Luckily I test tasted the broth - disgusting! I have no idea what I did but the tomatoes were so disgustingly acidic that there was no hope. Took a couple of spoonfulls out and tried it with cream, nope. Set the whole mess aside and restarted from scratch. This time no tomatoes!
Garlic bread to sop up the now perfect juice. Gal pal and I gobbled and sopped to our tummies delight.

And to top it all off, I then beat her at Yahtzee later. Win, win! :giggle:

Now I have to figure out if I can rescue that ruddy sauce somehow. I don't want to waste the only bottle of red wine I brought with me, but I can't think of anything else.
Anyone have some suggestions? and yes, chucking it is a very good suggestion.
It used to be that I would eat it anyhow (but not serve to guests). I hate being wasteful but I also have come to the conclusion that life is too short to waste it on something shudderingly disgustful.

Mussels. Got the sauce prepped. Was amazed in that only one! would not close prior to cooking! (usually there's at least 2 and sometimes a broken shell to toss)
Luckily I test tasted the broth - disgusting! I have no idea what I did but the tomatoes were so disgustingly acidic that there was no hope. Took a couple of spoonfulls out and tried it with cream, nope. Set the whole mess aside and restarted from scratch. This time no tomatoes!
Garlic bread to sop up the now perfect juice. Gal pal and I gobbled and sopped to our tummies delight.

And to top it all off, I then beat her at Yahtzee later. Win, win! :giggle:

Now I have to figure out if I can rescue that ruddy sauce somehow. I don't want to waste the only bottle of red wine I brought with me, but I can't think of anything else.
Anyone have some suggestions? and yes, chucking it is a very good suggestion.
It used to be that I would eat it anyhow (but not serve to guests). I hate being wasteful but I also have come to the conclusion that life is too short to waste it on something shudderingly disgustful.
Good thing you did the taste test. Is it basically the acidity that's the problem with the flavour? Maybe try a bit of baking soda. That would raise the pH and make it less acid. Could it have been an odd reaction between the wine and the tomatoes?

Yes, thanks taxy, it is the acidity. I have used soda on other occasions and it works when there isn't too much acidity to tame - but I don't know about this. I will give it a try......... except ahem, I just realized I don't have any soda in this rented house! :doh:

We have a produce stand at the corner of our road. Stopped there after running errands yesterday afternoon and picked up some fresh Silver Queen sweet corn, freshly picked tomatoes, and were gifted with 3 small Rocky Hock cantaloupes that were too small to sell (my cousins and the owners of the stand attend the same church). We had fresh cooked corn, sliced tomatoes, a sliced cucumber, and sliced cantaloupe. My cousins also had some boiled okra (I like it, but it doesn't like me).

Yes, thanks taxy, it is the acidity. I have used soda on other occasions and it works when there isn't too much acidity to tame - but I don't know about this. I will give it a try......... except ahem, I just realized I don't have any soda in this rented house! :doh:
Maybe try a little sweetener to counter the acidity.

Well, I blew it a 2nd time. I only noticed, after staring at it for.... hours, that I never removed the rosemary nor the thyme branches. Rosemary is too strong an herb to leave in, especially overnight. So then, along with the acidity there was now also a bitter taste.
sigh.... - you can't fix stupid. I chucked it all out.

it was a one-off for us. i always make 2 nights of dinner at the same time; doubles of whatever I'm planning, just to save time. but for whatever reason, we only needed one night of dinner so i made chicken schwarma, tomato salad and broccoli slaw. oh and white rice for dh too.

Back
Top Bottom