What do you all do with Poblano Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The queso sauce is a good idea. I was thinking of what I might use to mix the 'stuffing' for the peppers with. These peppers have already been roasted, diced and frozen. But for future whole peppers that I want to stuff, I'll keep the queso idea in mind.
A restaurant near us used to make poblanos rellenos stuffed with shrimp, chicken and mole sauce. It was really good.

You can still do it with the frozen diced peppers. Just unstuffed. It’s like mock cabbage rolls, the first thing you do is chop it all up anyways

Good idea, thanks :)

A restaurant near us used to make poblanos rellenos stuffed with shrimp, chicken and mole sauce. It was really good.

That sounds super tasty.

Another thing I was thinking of using the now-diced peppers in is a dish I sometimes make, which is Mexican stuffed pasta shells. The peppers would lend some nice flavor to the ground beef mixture that goes inside the shells.

Another thing I was thinking of using the now-diced peppers in is a dish I sometimes make, which is Mexican stuffed pasta shells. The peppers would lend some nice flavor to the ground beef mixture that goes inside the shells.
THAT sounds amazing! What a great idea. I'm going to do that, too. Maybe a layer of seasoned refried beans on on the bottom, then the stuffed peppers, then tomato sauce with Mexican seasonings, topped with Monterey Jack cheese. Yum!

THAT sounds amazing! What a great idea. I'm going to do that, too. Maybe a layer of seasoned refried beans on on the bottom, then the stuffed peppers, then tomato sauce with Mexican seasonings, topped with Monterey Jack cheese. Yum!

There ya go. The refried beans on the bottom is a good idea.

Normally I just do the ground beef like I would if I were making tacos. I usually mix into the meat some picante sauce for extra flavor (and next time I'm using those poblanos) then stuff it all into cooked pasta shells. Then I sprinkle on some cheese and let them bake until the pasta shells are slightly crunchy around the edges and the cheese is melted. Once it's out of the oven, I sprinkle on crushed tortilla chips and drizzle on some crema. Serve with shredded lettuce topped with sour cream, pico and guac and it's heavenly.

In fact, think I'll make that for Sunday dinner next week. This week's Sunday menu is already planned. I'm making Swedish Meatballs.

Great stuffings for Poblanos:
1. Chorizo and diced potato
2. Spanish chorizo with Spanish rice
3. Refried Beans with Spanish Rice, and Seasoned Ground beef (cumin, chili powder, onion, garlic, chili powder, Mexican Oregano, Smoked Paprika, Tabasco, or Sriracha sauce)
4. Mushrooms and queso
5. Shredded beef with mushrooms, and rice
6. Queso with mustard, and thin-sliced beef strips
7. Bread stuffing seasoned with Mexican chorizo, and chicken livers
8. Carne Asada
9. Grilled, and chopped pork, cooked over charcoal with fruit wood for smoke.
10.Kidney beans, pinto beans, and queso, with tomato and chipotle peppers in adoba sauce.

Just a few ideas. Peaches, or cherries, seasoned right would be good in poblanos as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Great stuffings for Poblanos:
1. Chorizo and diced potato
2. Spanish chorizo with Spanish rice
3. Refried Beans with Spanish Rice, and Seasoned Ground beef (cumin, chili powder, onion, garlic, chili powder, Mexican Oregano, Smoked Paprika, Tabasco, or Sriracha sauce)
4. Mushrooms and queso
5. Shredded beef with mushrooms, and rice
6. Queso with mustard, and thin-sliced beef strips
7. Bread stuffing seasoned with Mexican chorizo, and chicken livers
8. Carne Asada
9. Grilled, and chopped pork, cooked over charcoal with fruit wood for smoke.
10.Kidney beans, pinto beans, and queso, with tomato and chipotle peppers in adoba sauce.

Just a few ideas. Peaches, or cherries, seasoned right would be good in poblanos as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Nice ideas, Chief. Thanks so much!

Has anyone made rellenos with ancho chilis (dried pablanos)?

That doesn't sound like it would taste very good. Have you ever tried eating a dried pepper?

They are reconstituted, like most dried chilis before use.:ROFLMAO: I use dried pequins for dried pepper flakes.

Last edited:
Has anyone made rellenos with ancho chilis (dried pablanos)?
Hasn't occurred to me. Reconstituted anchos are pretty delicate and doubt they'd hold up to slitting the side, removing seeds and membranes, then stuffing, battering, and frying. Curious to hear about your results if you try it.

GotGarlic said:
Okay, have you ever tried eating a reconstituted whole dried pepper?
GG, usually I can see your point of view, even if I disagree. On this though, I can't figure out what you're getting at. I never tried to eat a reconstituted ancho or chipotle out of hand like an apple but don't eat poblanos or jalapeños that way either.

Whats your point? There are recipes for these, which I have never tried. The reason I asked in the first place.

I understood GG's question as something that would give an idea about whether or not you would enjoy this. If you have had rehydrated poblanos before and disliked them, then maybe stuffing the would have a similar result. If you have done it and liked them, then, chances are, you would like them stuffed as well.

Whats your point? There are recipes for these, which I have never tried. The reason I asked in the first place.

Hasn't occurred to me. Reconstituted anchos are pretty delicate and doubt they'd hold up to slitting the side, removing seeds and membranes, then stuffing, battering, and frying. Curious to hear about your results if you try it.

GG, usually I can see your point of view, even if I disagree. On this though, I can't figure out what you're getting at. I never tried to eat a reconstituted ancho or chipotle out of hand like an apple but don't eat poblanos or jalapeños that way either.
I thought it was a joke at first because it doesn't make sense to me and it doesn't sound appetizing. I wasn't referring to eating it out of hand.

I tried to imagine making it as skilletlicker described and it didn't seem like it would work - I've never seen a recipe for it, so I looked it up. Apparently it's not battered and fried, just stuffed and served with a sauce. I'm not sure I'd want to go to all the trouble of making this version, but it does seem interesting.

https://hispanickitchen.com/recipes/chile-ancho-and-poblano-rellenos/

Speaking of stuffed peppers, I love stuffed bell peppers. I do it the traditional way with a mixture of ground beef, rice and seasonings.

What do you all stuff into your bell peppers?

Speaking of stuffed peppers, I love stuffed bell peppers. I do it the traditional way with a mixture of ground beef, rice and seasonings.

What do you all stuff into your bell peppers?
Stuffed bell peppers are are a big "Meh" for me. I only make them if I am asked. And, I only use very sweet red or orange bell peppers. Green bell peppers, when cooked, are too ... bnitter for me, even with ribs and seeds removed. Stuffed cabbage, grape, or Swiss Chard leaves I adore.

We have a pretty good thread on stuffed peppers. Maybe we could add to that one rather than change the topic of this one. Just makes it easier for people to find certain types of recipes.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/making-a-better-stuffed-pepper-90163.html

Hey, it's my thread and I'll change the subject if I want to! :boxing:

lol, just kidding, hon ;)

(forgive me, I'm food-intoxicated because my boss took me out to lunch for my birthday)

Stuffed bell peppers are are a big "Meh" for me. I only make them if I am asked. And, I only use very sweet red or orange bell peppers. Green bell peppers, when cooked, are too ... bnitter for me, even with ribs and seeds removed. Stuffed cabbage, grape, or Swiss Chard leaves I adore.

My son says the same thing about the green peppers, that they're too bitter. He too prefers red, orange and yellow.

Stuffed cabbage is a definite favorite of mine.

For a little different stuffed pepper flavor, use a mixture of Italian sausage, hot or mild as you prefer, and add sage to the uncooked sausage meat. Mix in ground beef to the ratio of two parts beef, and 1 part sausage.
Combine with cooked rice and marinara sauce (just enough sauce to flavor the meat/rice mixture. Stuff the red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, and roast in marinara sauce until the meat is cooked through and the peppers are soft.

If stuffing poblanos, change the stuffing to 2 parts ground beef to 1 part chorizo. Add extra cumin to the meat mixture, and hot sauce to taste. Mix this mixture with crushed tortilla chips, and a cream, good melting cheese such queso Blanche, or a creamy brie, or even raclete. A good blue cheese would also be good with this mixture, as would crumbled feta. Just a couple more ideas for your pepper stuffings.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom