What do you call your evening meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read a "technical" definition of supper vs. dinner.

If you have your big meal of the day midday, that's dinner and the evening meal is supper. If you have your big meal of the day in the evening, then it's called dinner. (and the midday meal is lunch)

I've lived all over the USA, and when I moved to the Texas Gulf Coast, "dinner" was a full meal eaten at noon, as in Sunday dinner. Supper was an evening meal.

Lunch was also a noon meal, but not a sit-down, pass the food around the table meal. You would have a sandwich during your "lunch break" at work. Oh, to make it more complicated, a meal break at work down here is a "lunch break," even if you eat it on the night shift. If you work third shift (typically 11PM to 7AM), and take a meal break at 2AM, you are "going to lunch."

Here at the doghouse, I have an added twist. If I am eating coq au vin at the dining table, showered, shaved and dressed in clean clothing, it is definitely "dinner." If it is burgers and beers in the backyard in shorts and a t-shirt, well, thats supper. :ermm:

Clear as mud? :)

CD

Last edited:
Things haven't changed much at Chez Goddess since this query six years ago:

"Dinner" or "Supper" / "Lunch" or "Dinner?"

Going through an old thread is sometimes a "where's who" of missing members...:( Interesting how many of us are still hanging around, though! :LOL:

My Mom's version was "I don't care what you call me, just so long as you don't call me late for supper". :cool:

Dinner. I've hardly ever referred to it as supper, unless it was back in the day when visiting my grandparents or aunts and uncles. They always called it "supper".

Just read through that, CG - I love older threads, too! Here's another one that I thought was fun, maybe newer members would like to add to it... :)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/how-did-you-have-your-main-meal-growing-up-90881.html

Last edited:
CG, Cheryl... I was thinking along the same lines. :LOL: A lot of subjects/threads pop up as duplicates over time. Although I have not read that particular one it is interesting (funny) that the replies/answers are often pretty much the same! :LOL:

For us it's dinner for the main evening meal meal and if you want something later on it's supper.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom