What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mother used to make that. I tried once, but my cornmeal mush did not get solid enough to slice for frying. I think I didn't cook it long enough. What do you think?

You probably have to cook it longer. I cook mine until it's almost beyond thick, then pour (well shove, really) it into tall straight-sided glasses or a loaf pan, all of which have been sprayed with Pam or some such thing. Refrigerate overnight, then slice into rounds, if in glasses, or even slices, if in a loaf pan.

I heat my oil (about 1/4-inch deep) in a skillet until it shimmers. Dredge my mush slices in dry cornmeal and fry on both sides until crispy and golden.

Is this breakfast getting you through the morning? I know this is a busy time of year for you and you are putting in more work hours. Are you tiring quicker than you would normally? :angel:
I am but figured it was just because of the long hours, then getting to the gym or pool 4 times a week afterwards. I try to grab a piece of fruit or a handful of mixed nuts mid morning. I found these peanut butter atkins bars that are a good meal on the run, only 250 calories & 17 g of protein. They are like eating a candy bar.:yum:. I always appreciate your concern Addie.:angel::angel:

You probably have to cook it longer. I cook mine until it's almost beyond thick, then pour (well shove, really) it into tall straight-sided glasses or a loaf pan, all of which have been sprayed with Pam or some such thing. Refrigerate overnight, then slice into rounds, if in glasses, or even slices, if in a loaf pan.

I heat my oil (about 1/4-inch deep) in a skillet until it shimmers. Dredge my mush slices in dry cornmeal and fry on both sides until crispy and golden.

I will try it again. I have a bag of corn meal that I bought to make corn bread for Thanksgiving and I want to use it up and also have memories of my childhood.

I made my corn meal mush. It is chilling in the refrigerator right now. When I cooked it, I noticed that the recipe on the package said to cook it 15-20 minutes until it reaches the desired consistancy. I realize that last time I only cooked it for about 5 minutes, until it was the consistance of cream of wheat. I thought that was "thick." This time, I went for the full 20 minutes. It was so thick it hurt my arm to stir it. Hopefully it will be solid enough to fry.

Does anyone eat scrapple? I never made it but I bought it once premade from the store and fried it up. It was pretty good. No one else would eat it. Probably because it contained the word "scrap."

Made drop biscuits the other morning...super simple and fast recipe

dropbiscuits4.jpg

2 cups all purpose flour
4 tablespoons of butter/margarine (1/2 stick) melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (you can leave it out if you don't have it.)
1 cup of milk

Preheat oven to 400f/205c
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, then slowly mix in milk. Once fully mixed, slowly add in the melted butter, and mix until fully blended. Using a large serving spoon and a spatula, scoop up a spoonful of batter, and use the spatula to scrape off onto a oiled sheet pan. Makes approx. 12 biscuits. Cook for 12-15 minutes. (you might need to turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes at the end to brown the tops)

I am but figured it was just because of the long hours, then getting to the gym or pool 4 times a week afterwards. I try to grab a piece of fruit or a handful of mixed nuts mid morning. I found these peanut butter atkins bars that are a good meal on the run, only 250 calories & 17 g of protein. They are like eating a candy bar.:yum:. I always appreciate your concern Addie. :angel: :angel:

I know there is not much you can do about the long hours, but at least you are aware of the need for that midmorning snack. Don't forget the rest of the day. A midafternoon snack may renew your energy and get you through the rest of your day. Like I told you before, I do read everything you post. I am pulling for you real hard. I am waiting for that day when you post that your weight is even one pound below your goal! :angel:

Trying to get more healthy vegetables into my diet, I had sauteed onion, mushrooms and spinach mixed in with my scrambled eggs this morning. There was actually more spinach and mushroom than there was egg. Very tasty! Think I'll do the same tomorrow.

Well...Carol...here's the opposite of a healthy breakfast. Hashbrown, egg, cheese and ham skillet:
hashbrowneggs1.jpg

It was delicious, and it keeps you "well oiled"...so you don't squeak. :)

I made my corn meal mush. It is chilling in the refrigerator right now. When I cooked it, I noticed that the recipe on the package said to cook it 15-20 minutes until it reaches the desired consistancy. I realize that last time I only cooked it for about 5 minutes, until it was the consistance of cream of wheat. I thought that was "thick." This time, I went for the full 20 minutes. It was so thick it hurt my arm to stir it. Hopefully it will be solid enough to fry.

Told ya! I think you'll be happier with the results this time. Don't forget to dredge it in dry cornmeal before you fry it. That gives it a wonderful crunchy crust.

Told ya! I think you'll be happier with the results this time. Don't forget to dredge it in dry cornmeal before you fry it. That gives it a wonderful crunchy crust.

I didn't see this until I had already fried it. It did get solid so I could slice it. I have a lot left so I will try dredging it in cornmeal tomorrow. I don't think my mother did that, but I was a crunchy crust. To be continued.....

Does anyone eat scrapple? I never made it but I bought it once premade from the store and fried it up. It was pretty good. No one else would eat it. Probably because it contained the word "scrap."

I only eat scrapple that I make. My grandmother used pork neck-bones to make the stock. I season the pork neck-bones with a little onion. When the meat is falling off the bones, I remove the meat from the bones and mince it. Put the meat aside and return the bones to the liquid. Let the bones boil until stock is complete and then strain the liquid discarding the bones, onion, and whatever else.

Use the stock to make the scrapple. I basically make it like I do the cornmeal mush for frying. Stir in the minced meat and whatever seasonings you wish (I like sage, pepper, and a pinch of salt) when the cornmeal is at the cream of wheat stage...then continue to boil until thick. (Around 20 minutes.) Place in a loaf pan and refrigerate overnight. Slice and fry.

I've used smoked neck bones too. All good.

It's easy to make and is just yummy. You can also make a lot of stock and extra meat to make it quickly the next time you make it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom