What to do with flour tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I made enchiladas that were ok but I don't think I will make them again so now I have to know what to do with the remaining stack of tortillas. Any ideas?

Enchiladas really should be made with corn tortillas. With that said, I use flour for burritos and quesadillas, of which you can stuff with a wide variety of yummy stuff.

Love a good breakfast burrito (eggs, cheese, sausage, tater tots, and salsa).

You can make a quick skillet pizza with flour tortillas. Use a tortilla to make a wrap-type sandwich for lunch.

I usually have a package of flour tortillas, in the fridge.

My personal preference for enchiladas are flour tortillas. May not be authentic but, works for us. Tostadas are great and simple. Taco bowls too.

I make wraps with various ingredients. I make skinny taquitos to freeze for snacks.

I often have a warmed, buttered tortilla, instead of bread with a meal.

Ross

I made enchiladas that were ok but I don't think I will make them again so now I have to know what to do with the remaining stack of tortillas. Any ideas?

Hi, yesterday I started working on my Mexican binders. I have quite a lot of recipes calling for flour tortillas (including a lot for enchiladas using all types of meat.) I found a recipe calling for ground chicken, "Chicken Picadillo" wrapped in flour tortillas. If interested, let me know and I will be happy to post the recipe. Or, I take requests if you prefer something else. lol

We make fried strips for chilaquiles. Cut them into triangles to pick up a Mexican chorizo and cheese appetizer.

Flour tortillas are good for burritos. If you deep fry your burritos they become chimichangas.

If you're just trying to get rid of the tortillas, cut them into wedges, drop them into hot oil, and grab a jar of salsa.

For rustic pizza, toast the flour tortillas at 375° or so until barely brown, then drizzle or spray with olive oil and eat them with a burratta or chunks of mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, arugula, basil leaves, sliced salame or soppressata, etc.

Mexican Pizza - Lightly fry 2 flour tortilla, flipping until crispy. Heat a can of black, refried beans in the microwave. Quarter grape, or cherry tomatoes. Drain sliced, black olives. Mine a quarter cup of green onion stems.

Brown a lb. of ground beef with the onion, a quarter cup of diced red bell pepper, 1.2 tsp. dried cumin, 1/4 cop minced cilantro, 1/4 tsp. ground coriander, 2 tbs. chili powder, 1 tsp. salt. Add 1/4 cup of water to beef mixture, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fry over medium heat until water has evaporated.

Spread refried beans on one tortilla. Top the beans with the ground beef. Sprinkle on shredded Cotija cheese. Cover with 2nd tortilla. Top with veggies, black olives, and shredded medium/sharp cheddar. Place under broiler for 3 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Sere hot with sour cream and youfr favorite h9t sauce.

Four Tortilla Treats:
Cut 4 tortillas into 2 inch squares. Saute' in oil, or butter until lightly browned, and crispy. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, or top with honer, or fruit jam.

Quesadillas:
flour tortillas with Pepper Jack shredded cheese. Bake in 350' oven until tortilla is crispy (about 7 minutes). Top with diced tomatoes (optional).

More options:
1. Steak Burritos
2. Spicy Nachos with seasoned ground beef and cheese sauce (black beans, red beans, dark red kidney beans are optional)
3. Flour tortilla chips
4. Empanadas
5. Wraps
6 Enchilada Pie
7. Wet Burrito
8. Fajitas
9. Breakfast Burritos
10. Carne Asada burritos, or tacos (an absolute favorite of mine)
11. Sliced fruit, and sweetened sour cream tacos
12. Blueberry Chimichanga (my creation using blueberry pie filling. Top with
oowdered sugar/vanilla glaze. You can sub cherry, or aple pie filling. Dust with sugar and cinnamon with apple, or cherry)

That's a few ideas for you flour tortillas. :yum:

Seeeeya;Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
A couple more ideas:

13. Mexican Stromboli - talk about fusion! Place cooked Mexican chorizo, diced onion, minced garlic, browned ground beef, and Qeso Fresco onto flour tortillas. Add chopped peppers if so desired.; Jelly-roll, and bake for 15 minutes in 35-' oven.
14. Seafood Tostada - crisp whole flour tortilla and top with seafood of choice, and accompanying sauce. Examples: butter/garlic sauteed shrimp with pico de gallo, Seared scallops with lemon, ceviche, lump crab with corn, Anaheim peppers, lime, and diced tomato, Skate, or ray with butter, lemon, and parsley, well you get the idea.

That's a few ideas for you flour tortillas. :yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom