What will be the winner at your dinner? 5-6-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
When we were at Restaurant Depot getting the mussels for Karen's B-Day dinner I also got some razor clams to try. As I was leaving the seafood dept., I happened to glance down and see some live crawfish. I asked how much and was told $2.50 a pound.:ohmy: The only way we could get them cheaper ($1.99) is if we drove to Slidel and picked them up. I then asked if they were pond raised and was told they are wild caught. I asked if they got them often and he pointed to the 7 unopened, 30# sacks still left. Karen had stayed in the car, so as I left the check out and headed to the car, I told her about them. Back in I went and out I came with a 32# sack. Can you say at home Seafood Festival this weekend!:LOL::yum: We went to Winn Dixie to do some of our other shopping and found a clearance sale on Abita beer. Abita Amber is a must for us with crawfish.

We had pork pot roast, potatoes, gravy and salad at our neighbors, I cooked it all.

Dessert we had this
img_1509957_0_5bfaac8a8c9992198d55961d51707fa2.jpg

I just made beef pot pie filling. I will use my mini Dutch ovens to cook in. Just a top crust because my arthritis is acting up today. I was hoping to use my mini pie plates and do top and bottom crust.

This is the first time we are having friends over since we started this vegan diet. Using vegan recipes, we are having asparagus quiche with tomatoes and tarragon (with our own asparagus), Italian Quesadillas, beer, and they are bringing dessert. Hummus and crackers for starters. The hummus was made with roasted red peppers and green chiles.

ANNND... of course I posted this in Fridays thingy... (looks over at GG) :wacko:

Jeannie is out with the "Ladies Yak" society so, I'm trying to decide between pizza and waffles with bacon...

Ross

We still have some leftovers (makings for Reuben sandwiches has to go first), so all I have to make are salads - spinach salads, to be exact. Tonight's will have egg, black olives, mushrooms, the last of the prosciutto (lightly fried) in place of bacon, Feta cheese and tiny grape tomatoes, all splashed with Trader Joe's champagne vinaigrette. :yum: Hmm, maybe I'll just split a Reuben with Himself...

We might have some fresh strawberries with a dab of vanilla ice cream later on tonight.

A bro-in-law gifted us a ham bone, so we made a pot of split pea soup. Not soup weather, but ham and split peas are good anytime.

Saw a local production of Fiddler On The Roof this afternoon (If I was a rich man, etc...), which was amazingly good. Knowing that I wouldn't have much time for dinner, planned something quick.

Veal piccata, served over angel hair pasta, nuked broc on the side.

When we were at Restaurant Depot getting the mussels for Karen's B-Day dinner I also got some razor clams to try. As I was leaving the seafood dept., I happened to glance down and see some live crawfish. I asked how much and was told $2.50 a pound.:ohmy: The only way we could get them cheaper ($1.99) is if we drove to Slidel and picked them up. I then asked if they were pond raised and was told they are wild caught. I asked if they got them often and he pointed to the 7 unopened, 30# sacks still left. Karen had stayed in the car, so as I left the check out and headed to the car, I told her about them. Back in I went and out I came with a 32# sack. Can you say at home Seafood Festival this weekend!:LOL::yum: We went to Winn Dixie to do some of our other shopping and found a clearance sale on Abita beer. Abita Amber is a must for us with crawfish.

The lovely 78-year-old woman who takes care of my dog on my frequent travels is from Baton Rouge. we are in the early stages of planing a crawfish boil. I have the pot and propane burner. Up here in Dallas, we have to order live crawfish about two weeks in advance, so there is planning to be done.

As for tonight, how appropriate is it that, as I type this, I am eating some boudin I grilled on the Weber kettle, indirect heat, with some apple wood mixed with the charcoal.

The best part about grilling boudin is that you can eat the casing. It gets nice and crispy. Other ways of cooking it leaves the casing tough and chewy.

CD

We went out to supper with some friends to a Mexican resto that we really like, Guaca & Molé. The Margaritas were wonderful. The food was even better. I had:
"Chilaquiles con Pollo
Beer marinated chicken breast, grilled to perfection, & served over a bed of multi-color nachos, green salsa, sour cream, red onions & our blend of Mexican cheeses • Served with salad"

Far more food than I could eat, so I got a doggy bag. It's too good. It's in the kitchen. I keep getting up to have "just one more bite". Getting stuffed.

We went out to supper with some friends to a Mexican resto that we really like, Guaca & Molé. The Margaritas were wonderful. The food was even better. I had:
"Chilaquiles con Pollo
Beer marinated chicken breast, grilled to perfection, & served over a bed of multi-color nachos, green salsa, sour cream, red onions & our blend of Mexican cheeses • Served with salad"

Far more food than I could eat, so I got a doggy bag. It's too good. It's in the kitchen. I keep getting up to have "just one more bite". Getting stuffed.

Living in Texas, I had to look at the menu. Definitely not authentic, but it looked really good. There was just enough Mexican in the menu items to say, "I'd eat that, even if it isn't right."

That's the best thing about food. You can do Mexican food with a Canadian twist, and as long as it tastes good, it is good food, IMO.

Chilaquiles are breakfast food. They are very different from what you describe. But, I'd still eat the ones you had.

CD

Actually, I'm pretty sure the chef and owner are Mexican and it's more of the chef's own "twists" that are making it look unauthentic to you. Whatever, the food is fabulous.

The lovely 78-year-old woman who takes care of my dog on my frequent travels is from Baton Rouge. we are in the early stages of planing a crawfish boil. I have the pot and propane burner. Up here in Dallas, we have to order live crawfish about two weeks in advance, so there is planning to be done.

As for tonight, how appropriate is it that, as I type this, I am eating some boudin I grilled on the Weber kettle, indirect heat, with some apple wood mixed with the charcoal.

The best part about grilling boudin is that you can eat the casing. It gets nice and crispy. Other ways of cooking it leaves the casing tough and chewy.

CD

I have pig liver in the freezer I bought to make boudin. Just need some boneless butt. I might not stuff it in casings, but make balls.

Living in Texas, I had to look at the menu. Definitely not authentic, but it looked really good. There was just enough Mexican in the menu items to say, "I'd eat that, even if it isn't right."

That's the best thing about food. You can do Mexican food with a Canadian twist, and as long as it tastes good, it is good food, IMO.

Chilaquiles are breakfast food. They are very different from what you describe. But, I'd still eat the ones you had.

CD

Love chilaquiles! The recipe we use originally came from a vegetarian Mexican cookbook and we added the chicken. The recipe uses tomatoes, onion, poblanos, fried tortilla strips (we use flour tortillas), jalapeno, garlic, chicken (thighs) and crema. Might be some others, but I'm too lazy to look the recipe up.:ROFLMAO: For us it is a dinner meal as we also have "breakfast" for dinner.:yum:

We have a few pounds of crawfish to pick for the tail meat. I can see some crawfish pizza, pie or maybe some etouffee in the future.

Last edited:
We precook the chicken with S and P and cumin, then shred it before it goes into the chilaquiles. And I top it with shredded muenster or chihuahua cheese if we have it. It's been a long time since we had this.

This is the first time we are having friends over since we started this vegan diet. Using vegan recipes, we are having asparagus quiche with tomatoes and tarragon (with our own asparagus), Italian Quesadillas, beer, and they are bringing dessert. Hummus and crackers for starters. The hummus was made with roasted red peppers and green chiles.

If you're looking for something else to make for a vegan dinner party, my friend made portobello marsala for a vegan guest. I'm not a big fan of marsala, but I think portobello piccata would be good, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom