What's on the table Sunday 4/20/14?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Copied from the Easter menu thread.) Change of plans. DH wanted fish rather than lamb chops, so I got some nice salmon filets at the seafood market. I marinated them in Japanese seasonings, then pan-fried them and served them with Japanese cucumber salad, white rice, and roasted asparagus drizzled with a reduction made from some of the marinade. This will go in the keeper file.

Attachments

• 1398081598588.jpg
    1398081598588.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 173
Oh that looks good GG!!! Recipe for the Cucumber salad???

Finally got Shrek to at least try roasted asparagus, I'll be cooking that a lot in the future. I used the avocado oil, instead of EVOO, it was fantastic, the only flavor was asparagus.

Oh that looks good GG!!! Recipe for the Cucumber salad???

Thanks, Princess :) I used this recipe: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/japanese-cucumber-salad.html I didn't have the Japanese herb they mentioned (shiso) so I used a combination of fresh mint and fresh basil and it was delicious.

Finally got Shrek to at least try roasted asparagus, I'll be cooking that a lot in the future. I used the avocado oil, instead of EVOO, it was fantastic, the only flavor was asparagus.

DH thought he didn't like asparagus till we had a tapas dinner with friends who ordered it pan-roasted with soy sauce and sesame oil. He loved it and we have it regularly now. I think he had only had overcooked, steamed asparagus before that. I usually roast it in the toaster oven.

Last edited:
PF & GG, thanks for the idea of roasting asparagus. I'll have to try that and see if Stirling likes it that way.

Thanks...I am in a slaw and cucumber rut, have to have them and this will slide right into my rotation!

I managed the lamb and the asparagus in the toaster oven. I have enough roast left for another meal. Shrek was not crazy about the lamb.

I used Steve Kroll's basic marinade, but only had Key Lime Juice, so used that instead of the lemon.

I was really happy with how the meal turned out.

Thanks again for pointing me to the recipe for the cucumbers.

PF & GG, thanks for the idea of roasting asparagus. I'll have to try that and see if Stirling likes it that way.

It brings out the sweetness as it caramelizes the outside and concentrates the flavors, since some moisture evaporates during cooking. I roast them with evoo, kosher salt and pepper for about 8 minutes and then usually drizzle them with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar when they come out of the oven. This Japanese marinade (reduced to almost a glaze) was really good on them, too: Japanese Style Grilled Salmon Recipe : Food Network

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom