What's your favorite kind of salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite kind of salad 'hands down' is Macaronni Shrimp Salad. This is one of the easiest, beast tasting, Shrimp salads. Few ingrediants.
Your family and friends will request it at all of your gatherings. It is a cold salad made with Mayo. The longer it sits, the better it gets...

My mom's recipe potato salad is probably my favorite salad. I also love a salad with a lot of greens, tomatoes, green onions, pickled beets, mushrooms, chopped ham, a little cheese, radishes, and bleu cheese dressing, topped with coarsely ground black pepper. For a sweet salad, I love my mom's recipe cranberry salad.

:) Barbara

I also really like seafood salad..

More recently though it's been this lovely chickpea-hijiki salad that I've fallen in love with.. mmmm.

I can't say it is my favorite, but one I long for is a kidney bean salad that a little mom and pop restaurant used to make. I wish I had paid more attention to the ingredients then, but that was such a busy time in my life, I was doing well to get lunch. The salad was very substantial and tasted great.

Quizzie said:
My favorite kind of salad 'hands down' is Macaronni Shrimp Salad. This is one of the easiest, beast tasting, Shrimp salads. Few ingrediants.
Your family and friends will request it at all of your gatherings. It is a cold salad made with Mayo. The longer it sits, the better it gets...

and just where is this recipe????:mrgreen:

my favorite is my suprising brocolli salad

Last edited:
Not sure I can pick just one as there are so many different types, but one that comes to mind is fresh mozzerela, tomatoes and basil from the garden, drizzle some good evoo and a little cracked pepper and a touch of salt.

There is also a black eyed pea salad that I make that is out of this world. Also a greek cucumber salad that I love.

I can't forget a chefs salad or even a garden salad. yeah too many to choose just one.

Last edited:
GB said:
Not sure I can pick just one as there are so many different types, but one that comes to mind is fresh mozzerela, tomatoes and basil from the garden, drizzle some good evoo and a little cracked pepper and a touch of salt.

There is also a black eyed pea salad that I make that is out of this world. Also a greek cucumber salad that I love.

I can't forget a chefs salad or even a garden salad. yeah too many to choose just one.

the first salad you mention sounds really good...

texasgirl said:
and just where is this recipe????:mrgreen:

my favorite is my suprising brocolli salad

umm, i'm a little afraid to ask, but why is your broccoli salad surprising?

is it like that "mexican radio" video, from the band wall of voodoo, where the guy's face pops up through it?

buckytom said:
umm, i'm a little afraid to ask, but why is your broccoli salad surprising?

is it like that "mexican radio" video, from the band wall of voodoo, where the guy's face pops up through it?

:ROFLMAO: It's just a name bucky:LOL: I don't know who actually named it.

Salad is not generally high on my foods to consume list. I do not like pasta salads at all. I'll enjoy the various types of rabbit food salads, most jello salads, fruit salads, but no bean salads. I'm not of the mindset that meat goes with salad, except bacon (bits) and chicken (for chicken caesar salad). Otherwise, if you're going to serve me meat, I'd just as soon it be main entree versus salad.

I guess my favorite would be rabbit food salads. I'll give most veggies a go once to determine if I like 'em. Then again, I'd say fuit & jello salads are good too. I guess those are the ones I prefer, if I have to eat salad at all. It is not one of my stops if I am at a buffet, let me tell you!

I like a good green salad with lots of raw veggies. 1000 island dressing on the side.

I love all kinds of salad-Caponata is one of my favs though it's usually served as an appetizer. I also love Cobb salad

Golly, I have to choose?

We went out last night, which we do rarely, and had a salad of four mushrooms, served with lamb carpaccio, wow.

I don't know how to choose a favorite.

Maybe a salad with mache, some mushrooms, a tad of finely shredded Parmesan, and just a bit of dressing made with balsamic vinegar.

Right now that sounds good.

Although a macaroni salad with some diced kielbasa also sounds great.

Or a seafood salad.

Sorry, can't choose.

But am looking forward to Spring when we start to plant and then enjoy the very fresh veggies which we make many salads from.

I can't choose, only eliminate a few.
I don't like anything with kidney or black beans. If I make 3 bean salad, I use garbanzo beans in place of the kidney beans.
If I'm having a jello salad, I like them all as long as they don't have nuts or little marshmallows.
When it comes to a green salad, I've never tried one with nuts or fresh fruit, but I'd give it a try. I don't like radishes, and am not big on cucumbers or raw onion in my salads either, unless its a very small amount.

BigDog, I was amused at your term for green salad...my grandfather also called it "rabbit food", and it was not high on his list either.

Warm crayfish and rocket salad with a lime and chili creme fraiche dressing. Magical.

My favorite salad is fresh mixed greens, red onion, chick peas, sharp cheddar with extra virgin olive oil and good balsamic vinegar.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Thai Beef Salad! That's a goodun. A chicken soba noodle salad is also pretty special. I don't know if it qualifies as a salad, but a halved avocado, with the pip taken out and the depression filled with really good EVOO and balsamic's pretty special too.

Back
Top Bottom