When do you use your "good silverware?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bro and I grew up counting it to make sure a piece didn't go in the garbage. I still count it.

We had to do the same! And it pays off. A kitchen helper accidentally scraped a salad fork into the garbage. We would not even have looked for it if it wasn't for the counting - we found it!

I do have a 5 place setting of Fiestaware (buy 4 get one free)...5 different colors, the purple are mine...all mine. A 2 place setting of Mikasa "Berries" pattern. Various odds and ends of rice bowls, soup bowls. Let's face it I have lots of dishes, all of which get used regularly depending on what I am serving. All the flatware, silver and stainless, get used, too.

Over the past two Christmas, my mom has bought us Fiesta service for 8. If It were me, I'd have picked maybe two colors, but we now have 8 different colors, which Rob loves, he's a bit more colorful than me! I love the set, and I love that she bought it for us!

A couple years ago we went to the Fiesta plant the day after their big annual seconds sale, there were still like 20 pallets of stuff, that was so much fun! My friend bought himself all new dinnerware and some other pieces and spent less than $100!

I have a really nice set of simple white dinnerware from Crate and Barrel that I refuse to part with, it was my first "grown up" set and has proven to be super durable.

Our flatware was on clearance at Target, and we've gotten so many compliments on it, it's simple but nicely weighted and the metal is very smooth. This stuff we'll likely have for a lifetime.

DH's brother and his wife bought their parents a whole set of Royal Dalton Christmas china, along with the accompanying flatware. Guess how many times it was used?

My basic stuff works just fine for us. I sold all my mom's good stuff in the auction after she died. It wasn't used very often either.

Maybe they would have preferred a set with hand painted periwinkles? :ROFLMAO:
(hope you get the reference)

When do you use your "good silverware?"

Surely, Hyacinth wouldn't have been comfortable with me touching the good stuff!

:LOL: Now I get it!

Forgive me, Bakechef, I had no idea what you were talking about!

Last edited:
:LOL: Now I get it!

Forgive me, Bakechef, I had no idea what you were talking about!

I've watched that entire series at least three times, I laugh just as much each time. Hyacinth reminds me of my grandmother, always trying to portray the family in the very best light, always finding ways to bring up her travels, usually in vain, much like Hyacinth.

I have one sister I refer to as Hyacinth, another who "lives up the hill" and I won't tell you which one I am... :angel:

I've watched that entire series at least three times, I laugh just as much each time. Hyacinth reminds me of my grandmother, always trying to portray the family in the very best light, always finding ways to bring up her travels, usually in vain, much like Hyacinth.

Guess I live on another planet because I still have no clue what you folks are referring to. Lots of clues but, so far, no idea what "series" is referenced.

I only pull out the "good" tableware for holidays or when we have guests. When I had my dad, then-stepmother, sister, grandmother and aunt and uncle here for Christmas years ago, I bought a 12-piece place setting, which is in our china hutch (which is actually filled mostly with cut glass lol). I like our everyday set better, but the larger set has matching serving utensils, etc., that are generally only needed when serving a lot of people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom