Why do they sell cooking wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I've been cooking for 30 + years, which is the same amount of time Ive been watching cooking shows on tv, attending cooking demos, taking cooking classes and collecting cook books.

I have never ever , not once, came across someone recommending to use cooking wine. All speak against using it and advise to use a wine that you like for cooking.

Has anyone come across a situation where cooking wine is preferred ?
If not, who is buying it and why ?

Im just asking, cause im currently watching lidia and , once again, she frowned upon using cooking wine and gave the expected response as mentioned above.

Cooking wine can be sold anywhere. You don't need a liquor license to sell it. Primarily because no one would voluntarily drink it.

I did buy it once ( back in the day) and I also received it as a gift once. I did the best with what I had , as I didn't want to waste it. But ive never purchased it again.

Some cooking wines that aren't bad are the oriental wines, which also have salt added to them, so they can be sold in grocery stores. But those are more or less standard ingredients in those cuisines, unlike those horrible things in our grocery stores.

A throwback to Prohibition, make it nasty and undrinkable. I've never used it, yuck!

I thought it was a throwback to the days of servants. It was to keep the cook and other servants from drinking it.

Cooking wine is so-called, I think, because the salt in it inhibits the growth of the microorganisms that produce acetic acid This will preserve a bottle which may be opened and used occasionally over a long period of time.

I thought it was a throwback to the days of servants. It was to keep the cook and other servants from drinking it.
Cooking wine is so-called, I think, because the salt in it inhibits the growth of the microorganisms that produce acetic acid This will preserve a bottle which may be opened and used occasionally over a long period of time.
In the United States, during Prohibition when it was illegal to sell alcohol, salt was added to wine to discourage people from drinking it. Taxy, you're the only person I've ever heard say anything about servants. Some Americans had servants, but it was never a big thing like in Europe and Canada, since we've never had royalty or an aristocracy.

In the United States, during Prohibition when it was illegal to sell alcohol, salt was added to wine to discourage people from drinking it. Taxy, you're the only person I've ever heard say anything about servants. Some Americans had servants, but it was never a big thing like in Europe and Canada, since we've never had royalty or an aristocracy.

I think the idea of putting salt in cooking wine goes back centuries, not just to the prohibition.

Some cooking wines that aren't bad are the oriental wines, which also have salt added to them, so they can be sold in grocery stores. But those are more or less standard ingredients in those cuisines, unlike those horrible things in our grocery stores.

The term "oriental" is considered a slur by many. Consider using "Asian" instead.

The term "oriental" is considered a slur by many. Consider using "Asian" instead.

While I don't use the word "oriental", I thought it was only considered a slur when used about people, not things. I will admit that these things change and I may not be up to date.

I didn't remember how long ago it happened, but I remembered when
Obama outlawed the term Oriental, and others

I never realized that this was considered offensive. And many markets and restaurants, at least in this area, have "Oriental" on the signs. And the supermarkets aisles are often labeled "Oriental foods".

Asian is more of a broad term, if you think about it, as Asia is a very large continent. India, and the surrounding countries, are often referred to as the Asian or Indian subcontinent, which would be included in the term Asian, but not really thought of as Oriental. SE Asian is a term often used, because it is more specific, and this is included in the Orient, and probably why so many of these Chinese restaurants in my area have "Oriental food" somewhere in their signs or windows - these "other" oriental foods (Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese) have become even more popular. And Japan, and other oriental islands, aren't really in Asia, though they are normally included in the term "Oriental".

While I don't use the word "oriental", I thought it was only considered a slur when used about people, not things. I will admit that these things change and I may not be up to date.
This is from an opinion piece that is three years old, but from a bit of googling it seems to summarize how one views the expression depending on one's ethnicity:

"My profession, Oriental medicine, is among those on the receiving end of the identity-politics outbreak. A funny thing I noticed is that my Caucasian (dare I say Occidental?) colleagues, not my Asian colleagues, are most eager to remove Oriental from public discourse."

The entire article is here: The term ‘Oriental’ is outdated, but is it racist?

Where in the world did that title come from? It's not the title on the page, nor does it accurately describe the content of the article.
pepperhead's link took me to a PBS article with that exact title, GG, and content that fully explains the passing and signing into law of HB-4238 in May of 2016. Maybe your devise burped? :D

Here's a different link to the news release from the originating congresswoman's office. Maybe this one works: Meng Bill to Remove the Term "Oriental" from U.S. Law Signed by President Obama

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom