Why lemon juice always recommended and not lime juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
on almost every recipe I come across that calls for a juice i never see a call for lime juice but most frequently lemon juice.

Lemons are more common. Limes have only become popular more recently with the popularity of some foreign cuisines.

I find that with newer recipes I ask the opposite question, why always lime?

They are only somewhat interchangeable. Lemons are more readily available and usually a bit cheaper.

I prefer lime with Mexican, and Tex/Mex foods. I also enjoy lime wth coconut. Lemon is traditional with many seafood preperations. I woild also pair lemon with Asian recepes.

Be aware, different varieties of both lemons, and limes have different flavors.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Just a theory, but a lot of our standard recipes depend on classic French, Italian or even Spanish cuisine. Lemons grow abundantly in Europe, so they´d be the "go to" citrus.

the bottled stuff taste like chemicals. i keep both at home but i almost always use vinegar instead of lemon or lime.

the bottled stuff taste like chemicals. i keep both at home but i almost always use vinegar instead of lemon or lime.

That's why I buy organic lemon juice and lime juice. They don't taste quite as good as fresh, but no noticeable off flavours. All the organic ones I have seen don't have added chemicals.

The organic brand I used to get, that came from Italy (but I haven't seen it for quite a while) was even better than the ones from California (for taste). We couldn't really taste a difference from fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom