Worst Appliances!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Internet connected refrigerators, um, no...

But just think. You forgot to take something out to thaw for supper. You can program from work, your fridge to find and toss out the fridge door onto the counter what you want for supper. By the time you remember your forgot to take something out, and the time you remember and then get home, it should be at least almost thawed. :angel:

Me too. I have used several electric stoves over the years and never a problem. Why electric stoves in particular?:angel:

Reasons I like gas:
Very responsive

Reasons I like electric:
-They get hotter and boil faster (than consumer grade gas)
-Glass tops are a breeze to clean
-Adjustable size burners (on most glass tops)
-very easy to simmer a sauce for hours without burning on to the bottom (heat turns on and off)
-doesn't heat up my small kitchen with an open flame
-won't leak gas and try to kill me in my sleep...:angel:

Huh? :ermm:

Just a suggestion, but maybe further explanation would help illustrate your point, because I have no idea what your beef is. I've owned an electric stove for about ten years (replaced a gas stove) and have never had any problem with mine. It does exactly what it's designed to do.

My electric range top also does what it is designed to do:

Heat up slowly.
Cool down slowly.
Never reach a high enough temp to do a satisfactory stir fry.

Then some of my personal 'beefs'.:rolleyes:

Gas stove tops and electric stove tops are equally hard to clean, in my opinion. (I'm not talking about the smooth/ceramic tops)

It's too easy to put a cloth pad on a burner that is on but not up high enough to show red.

I also can't use a tongs to heat up a single corn tortilla over the flame as I used to do using a gas stove.

When I cook rice I bring the water to a boil, add the rice, give it a couple of stirs and wait for the boil to come back and then, uncovered, wait a while---- usually a couple or more minutes. The I put the cover back on, turn the heat down to simmer or low, walk away and come back in 15 minutes to very nicely cooked rice.

That's how I did it with gas stoves. With an electric, I have to turn on a second burner to simmer or low when I start to cook so I can immediately transfer the rice pan to the simmer coil which has finally come to the right temp.

The same with a dish that has to be at a full boil first then has to go to simmer right away. Two burners needed.
O.K. ---- so no big deal? Right, but just another reason I don't like electric ranges.

I may not be a world class chef, but have you ever seen Rachael Ray or Bobby Flay cook on an electric range? I wanna be like them (in my dreams).

So, as you so eloquently put it----- that's "my beef". :D

For all who own electric ranges and like them---- good for you. I've made my statement and I stick by it. :cool:

It's too easy to put a cloth pad on a burner that is on but not up high enough to show red.

I also can't use a tongs to heat up a single corn tortilla over the flame as I used to do using a gas stove.

When I cook rice I bring the water to a boil, add the rice, give it a couple of stirs and wait for the boil to come back and then, uncovered, wait a while---- usually a couple or more minutes. The I put the cover back on, turn the heat down to simmer or low, walk away and come back in 15 minutes to very nicely cooked rice.

That's how I did it with gas stoves. With an electric, I have to turn on a second burner to simmer or low when I start to cook so I can immediately transfer the rice pan to the simmer coil which has finally come to the right temp.

The same with a dish that has to be at a full boil first then has to go to simmer right away. Two burners needed.
O.K. ---- so no big deal? Right, but just another reason I don't like electric ranges.
I have none of these problems with my stove.

To address a few of your points...

First of all, a cloth pad or towel doesn't belong on ANY stove. That's just dangerous.

Tortillas? That's not too difficult. I simply heat up a cast iron skillet on the stove top and throw the tortillas in there for a few seconds on each side. Works like a charm.

Stir fries. Never had a problem with those, either. And we eat them quite a bit. The only trick is to use a skillet that conducts heat well. I have a La Creuset Kadai (purchased in the UK) that gets extremely hot and does the job well. A standard wok just simply doesn't work well on electric surfaces. I'd argue that it only works marginally better on a home gas stove without some sort of heat ring to set it on. Commercial Chinese restaurants have high BTU gas burners that are designed for wok use. Most homes don't.

I don't really understand your rice argument, or why one would use two burners. That makes no sense. When I make rice, I turn it on high heat. As soon as I see the start of a simmer, I turn the heat down as low as it will go and cover the pot. The rice is fluffy and ready to eat in 15 minutes. No different than gas, other than you have to sort of "anticipate" the boil just a bit.

I have none of these problems with my stove.

First of all, a cloth pad or towel doesn't belong on any stove.

Tortillas? That's not too difficult. I simply heat up a cast iron skillet on the stove top and throw the tortillas in there for a few seconds on each side. Works like a charm.

Stir fries. Never had a problem with those, either. And we eat them quite a bit. The only trick is to use a skillet that conducts heat well. I have a La Creuset Kadai (purchased in the UK) that gets extremely hot and does the job well. A standard wok just simply doesn't work well on electric surfaces. I'd argue that it only works marginally better on a home gas stove without some sort of heat ring to set it on. Commercial Chinese restaurants have high BTU gas burners that are designed for wok use. Most homes don't.

I don't really understand your rice argument, or why one would use two burners. That makes no sense. When I make rice, I turn it on high heat. As soon as I see the start of a simmer, I turn the heat down as low as it will go and cover the pot. The rice is fluffy and ready to eat in 15 minutes. No different than gas, other than you have to sort of "anticipate" the boil just a bit.

I've noted your reasons for preferring an electric stove. Thanks for your contribution.

My electric range top also does what it is designed to do:

Heat up slowly.
Cool down slowly.
Never reach a high enough temp to do a satisfactory stir fry.

Then some of my personal 'beefs'.:rolleyes:

Gas stove tops and electric stove tops are equally hard to clean, in my opinion. (I'm not talking about the smooth/ceramic tops)

I may not be a world class chef, but have you ever seen Rachael Ray or Bobby Flay cook on an electric range? I wanna be like them (in my dreams).

So, as you so eloquently put it----- that's "my beef". :D

For all who own electric ranges and like them---- good for you. I've made my statement and I stick by it. :cool:

Then you had a terrible electric.

Most electrics get hotter than home grade gas cook tops, according to consumer reports testing of many cook tops. Both my old coil from my last apartment (GE) and my current glass top (Samsung) get hot enough for a ripping, smoke pouring sear.

I've never heard of anyone going through such an ordeal to cook rice. Rice cookers themselves are electric.

If you've 'always' cooked on a gas stove, you have to learn how to use an electric stove because of its different heating and cooling characteristics.

If you've'always' cooked on an electric stove, you have to learn how to use a gas stove because of its different heating and cooling characteristics.

We're all more comfortable with the familiar.

I don't care for electric and do pretty well on a gas stove. My sister swears by her electric stove and cooks some fantastic meals with it.

That's pretty much how I cook rice. I have taken to giving the rice a quick saute in olive oil until some of the grains look chalky white, then add the water which quickly comes to a boil, lid on 15 minutes of cooking on low. For me this method works well.

I detest electric stoves but that doesn't matter to anyone but me.

For those of you who like them, I have one question.

Have you ever seen a professional cooking demonstration with an electric stove?

My apology to the OP (BakedPotato) for this digression from your question which I unwittingly contributed to by expressing a 'not so great' answer to your original question.

I'll now stand mute on this digression but if I can think of a single appliance that I use that I hate----- I'll post it.

I would like a juicer that is easy to clean (read that, doesn't require being put in the dishwasher). I see a lot of juicers at the Goodwill and lots of friends have told me that they hated how hard they were to clean, so got rid of their juicers. Sure, one can get a Vita Mix, but that's a pretty pricey juicer for the average joe.

I'm pretty happy with my Breville Juicer. It works well and it is not that hard to clean at all.

Julia Child did quite well with one on her show.;) So did Fanny Cradock:LOL:

Yeah. In her early days, Julia started out with a coppertone electric stove on PBS. Also in a lot of cities, the fire department (Boston being such) will not allow an open flame. So the demonstrator must use electric. Julia and Jacques used to hold demonstrations for the students at Boston University Culinary School when he was teaching there. They always had to use electric elements. Also here in Boston, they hold cooking classes for folks who are on SNAP (Food Stamps). Again, electric elements are in use. By both the demonstrator and students. :angel:

But you asked for an example of a cooking demonstration;)

I've seen her kitchen in the Smithsonian I could have stood there forever looking at every detail!

Indeed I did BC. I thought about wording it differently to the statement, "real chefs use gas" but thought I'd cause a riot, so I opted for a tamer version. :LOL:

I've been reading this thread since the very beginning and, in the 57 years I've been cooking, I really can't come up with a single appliance I would term the "worst."

Many of my appliances (small ones) are the ones I began housekeeping with in 1967 and are still working like new. Others I've acquired along the way and they, too, seem to be performing just like the day I got them.

As for large appliances such as stoves, washers, etc., apparently I've had very good luck with all I've ever owned. I was fortunate about 20 years ago to buy a top of the line Jenn-Air dishwasher for $15 at Salvation Army. It had never been used and worked like a champ and I only wish I could've taken it with me when I moved.

Most of our other large appliances have either been Frigidaire or Whirlpool and all performed and/or are performing like champs. Our stack washer/dryer is over 20 years old and looks and works like the day it was bought.

A few of my "test" appliances or those I have reservations about are usually acquired at thrift stores or such outlets and are bought for only a few dollars. So, if it turns out they're not what they'd been touted as being or my interest level fizzled out I haven't wasted much $ or, in some cases, much of my time. The occasional one will return to its former place of residence or at one of my yard sales. However, that has happened so rarely that I can't recall a single incident of orphaning an appliance.

The only consistent thing I can think of with my luck with appliances is that I've always been a stickler for taking care of them. Keeping them clean and using them properly. Maybe that's why I still have and regularly use my 47-year-old Osterizer blender. Kinda like the Energizer bunny...

Last edited:
Indeed I did BC. I thought about wording it differently to the statement, "real chefs use gas" but thought I'd cause a riot, so I opted for a tamer version. :LOL:

I think that you've hit on something. People tend to grab on to trends and whatever "experts" are using tend to be considered the best without question. Look at Kitchenaid mixers for instance, 20 years ago when I got mine, I knew almost nobody that had one. Then with the popularity of Food Network, where cooking shows and cooks became mainstream, they are pretty much a "must have" kitchen accessory whether they are used or not. Same goes for professional "style" ranges. People feel more "chefy" emulating chefs and their equipment.

Any chef worth their salt can cook well with any heat source.:chef: It just drives me a bit batty when someone feels the need to exclaim how much better their choice is and how inferior other's are. People need to use what's best for them and not put down other's choices.

Back
Top Bottom