Official Dinner Thread for Sunday the 16th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO and I are making spanakopita for tonight's dinner. It will look something like this:

F5A26C83-6C73-4C8A-B55B-9732936273E8_1_105_c.jpg

5889EF36-4001-4F3F-AB9C-B7D8D33EA78A_1_105_c.jpg

What are your dinner plans?

Last edited:
Air-Fryer Turkey Breast Cutlets, Idaho Mash, Gravy, Veggie Mix (Sugar Snap Peas, Broccoli, Carrots) - Salad w/ Blue Cheese Dressing...

Turkey Cutlets.jpg

Last edited:
Our Kroger had a "manager's special" of a rack of pork ribs. Read this as buy now or they will hit the dumpster.

Originally they were $28.00 and I snaged them at $8.00.

They spent most of today basking in barbecue sauce and rub and are, presently, getting a tan on the grill.

We and our doggies will be happy!

Leftover lasagna from Valentines meal, fresh herbed bread, sliced avocado sprinkled with garlic salt.

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 114
We still have leftovers, but I decided to save those for tomorrow. Instead, I made fancy salads, garlic toast with the Aldi cibatta rolls, and from-scratch cream of mushroom soup. :yum:

IMG_20200216_205603362.jpg

Everyone's meals look and sound great,
I just wish I could have been at your dinner tables with you all!

I had grilled some Chicken B/S Thighs yesterday, but we
didn't feel like eating dinner.

IMG_5473.jpg

So I put together some Greek Salads with
the Chicken chopped atop for DH.

IMG_5474.jpg

I also had two of my Shrimp Scampis leftover from V-Day, must use!

:yum:

We ordered out. I got a hamburger steak with mushroom and onion gravy. It came with a baked potato, but that's in the fridge with half the the meat. I have a migraine and that was all I could manage to eat. DH had a "ranch, chicken salad, with "Buffalo dipping sauce". The salad and the chicken were good according to DH, but the dipping sauce tasted mostly of vinegar, with a tiny amount of heat.

It seems I'm either cooking for a crowd or just for myself. Generally on Sunday I meet up with friends to have a brunch out at some little restaurant. With tomorrow being Presidents day some of us went out of town so I'm cooking for me and the neighbors tom cat. Rarely does he miss a meal when I'm cooking.

I was at the grocery store the other day and found a couple of tenderized round steak cutlets marked down to $1.75 and thought I could make a couple of meals out of that. I figured on frying them and making gravy in the pan for some mash potatoes. Along with that I heated a can of peas and seasoned them up in my customary fashion.

This is not my photo, guess I'm going to have to keep my camera in the kitchen.

hqdefault.jpg

The meat was coated with a seasoned flour. Some salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, a little season all and some powdered beef bouillon. The remainder
of this will make the gravy.

In to my chicken fryer skillet go the two cutlets and are browned nicely, and then removed to rest. Next a 1/4 cup of Pinot Grigio to deglaze the pan and after that the remaining seasoned flour. This is stirred and toasted well before
adding a cup and a half of milk to mix till smooth. A teaspoon of worcestershire, a dash of liquid smoke, some onion & garlic powder, savory, and a few drops of gravy master to color it a light brown. Gravy seems to be a rather personal thing so I've found but I like robust flavors in my food.

The mashed potatoes were of the instant variety so for the sake of time.

The peas get prepped like so. Can is opened and juice goes into a sauce pan.
into this a tsp of margarine, a couple of tsp of dried onion flakes, a tsp of dried vegetable flakes, and a cube of beef bouillon. This is brought to a low boil and reduced about half before the peas are added and heated a few minutes. A slotted spoon is used to plate this so the juice stays in the pan.

So the meat, potatoes & gravy go onto the plate and the peas.

For just one person (and a tom cat) it is a satisfying repast

mimiBoat1.jpg

Sunday Gravy
I know that the meats are supposed to be served separately, but we usually don't eat at the table, so it is a one bowl supper! I tried something different by cooking the meatballs from raw in the gravy/sauce. Think I'm going back to baking them first.

36788-albums1093-picture8166-jpg.37819

We had rib eyes cooked on the grill, baked potatoes from the microwave and freshly made salads. Store-bought mini cupcakes for dessert.

DH picked up some freshly caught local rockfish, aka striped bass, Sunday afternoon and I made this amazing fish poached in tomato broth from Alison Roman. It's garnished with a fried garlic/shallot/chili oil that gives it a nice kick. I served it over mixed rice. So good.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested: http://mimbly.com/wordpress/?p=69950216201822a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom