"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 16,196
Sunday dinner 10-3

Air Fryer Porterhouse, Mashed Idaho's with Creamed Corn "Gravy", Steamed "Field-to-Table" Green Beans...


Click image for larger version

Name:	Porterhouse, Air fryer 10-3-21.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	49116

__________________
“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
luckytrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 6,928
I have my mise en place ready for tonight's Sunday Pasta Supper
so excited for this one!

I'm making Tuscan Butter Shrimp for Mom and me
Mussels Marinara for DH
a bowl of pasta for anyone to dip into
and some Italian Bread for mopping your bowl with

Like I said, can't wait!


News at 11
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 48,301
We had a combination of leftovers tonight: Some Costco Rotchick, some pork lo mein, some butternut squash and a couple of crab rangoon.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 14,967
I made breakfast for supper. While we split a mushroom omelet, I had Swiss cheese on my half while Himself had American. Hash browns and a sweet apple chicken sausage finished filling the plate...and our tummies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211003_201016405.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	49120
__________________
"Let things taste of what they are." ~ Alice Waters
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 26,554
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Tonight I made Mongolian beef and served it with brown rice and a salad. It turned out really well. I will use the non-stick pan next time, like I did the first time. It was harder to deal with my cast iron, flat bottomed wok. I need to find a quick and simple Chinese vegi dish, that we both like, to go with this. The salad was good, but it just seems like there should be a Chinese vegi dish with this. There is a separate piece of beef on the right side of the plate. I cooked it separately because, I wanted to see what this cut of beef is like without any velveting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mongolian beef on brown rice, and a salad 1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	49121
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:50 PM   #6
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 6,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I have my mise en place ready for tonight's Sunday Pasta Supper
so excited for this one!

I'm making Tuscan Butter Shrimp for Mom and me
Mussels Marinara for DH
a bowl of pasta for anyone to dip into
and some Italian Bread for mopping your bowl with

Like I said, can't wait!


News at 11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	49122

Oh.My.GOSH!

That was so rich, decadent, delicious, filling, FANTASTIC Shrimp!

Neither Mom nor I could finish our 6 16/20 count Shrimps, there's enough for lunch tomorrow for one.

We decided that we didn't want any pasta, and a good thing too, I tell you!
We used our bread to clean up that sauce, which was quite thick by the way.

I used the recipe with the Cream Cheese and I had Half and half, no heavy cream ... I thinned the finished sauce with some Pasta Water, about a 1/2 cup or so, and it still could have used a touch more.

https://www.copymethat.com/r/wVJlz6U...cy-but-simple/

But I would highly recommend that recipe! I'll be trying Andy's version soon ... Mom was impressed!

I think I'll also try making the sauce by itself and pour it over seared Scallops for Mom and Fish for moi
I may have used such a little too much Spinach, but at least I know we got our greens with our Shrimpys
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
GinnyPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Somewhere in the PNW
Posts: 630
I made my version of Fiesta Tacos. A modified version of a dish that was served at a restaurant in Santa Monica, maybe still is, but I don't leave there anymore. Anyway, it is a whole meal in a taco dish. Beans, rice, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, guac and sour cream. Well, guac for DH, sour cream for me. I didn't take a picture of last night's plate, but here's a shot of them from a few weeks back...and last night's were no different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5251 (2).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	49127
__________________
Life, like meals, best when shared.
Dogs aren't my whole life, but they do make my life whole!
GinnyPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Tonight I made Mongolian beef and served it with brown rice and a salad. It turned out really well. I will use the non-stick pan next time, like I did the first time. It was harder to deal with my cast iron, flat bottomed wok. I need to find a quick and simple Chinese vegi dish, that we both like, to go with this. The salad was good, but it just seems like there should be a Chinese vegi dish with this. There is a separate piece of beef on the right side of the plate. I cooked it separately because, I wanted to see what this cut of beef is like without any velveting.



Attachment 49121
Here are a couple of quick Asian side dishes I make that you and Stirling might like.
- https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe...c-oyster-sauce - you can also use asparagus or a green veggie like chard
- https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipe...ucumber-salad/ (I use my small cast iron skillet to smash the cucumbers)
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,012
DH smoked a pork shoulder yesterday. We had it with baked beans, pickled watermelon rind and salad (not shown). Good stuff.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_190026.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	49128
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 26,554
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Here are a couple of quick Asian side dishes I make that you and Stirling might like.
- https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe...c-oyster-sauce - you can also use asparagus or a green veggie like chard
- https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipe...ucumber-salad/ (I use my small cast iron skillet to smash the cucumbers)
Thank you. Those both look good. I have saved both of them. I have tried making Asian style cucumber salad, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as at our favourite Chinese resto. Stirling doesn't really like cucumber. He likes the one at the Chinese resto, but didn't like the one I made. This recipe looks better.

When you make the Asian cucumber salad, do you use all the "fancy", authentic ingredients? Or do you use the recommended substitutes?

Have you tried other recipes from the Omnivore's Cookbook?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thank you. Those both look good. I have saved both of them. I have tried making Asian style cucumber salad, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as at our favourite Chinese resto. Stirling doesn't really like cucumber. He likes the one at the Chinese resto, but didn't like the one I made. This recipe looks better.

When you make the Asian cucumber salad, do you use all the "fancy", authentic ingredients? Or do you use the recommended substitutes?

Have you tried other recipes from the Omnivore's Cookbook?
I have Chinese black vinegar, but I don't use the chile ingredients; my recipe is from another source, although this is very similar.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.