Sunday Dinner for Halloween Eve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have a small chuck roast thawed in the fridge that will become a pot of chili for dinner tonight. Corn muffins will accompany the chili as will some of the usual chili toppings.

What are your plans for today's repast?

Beef bourguignon, baked potatoes, green bean casserole. It's trick 'er treat night here, so witches hats, and we are giving out reese's pieces, rolos, heath bars, milk duds, kit kat bars. No carb free treats, ha ha. Garlic being given out to the neighbor adults--close enough.

:ermm: isn't tomorrow Halloween Eve? tonight is Matt Night. lock up your toilet paper and eggs!!! :rolleyes:

Halloween is tomorrow so tonight is Halloween Eve. Halloween itself is All Hallows Eve. So tonight is actually All Hallows Eve Eve.

Sweet and tangy chicken thighs. Boneless skinless chicken thighs in a honey Dijon mustard curry cayenne sauce. Steamed green beans on the side, and probably couscous as well.

In the UK we celebrate the night of 31 October as Halloween. It's an ancient celebration dating back the time of the Druids who recognised two seasons of the year, winter and summer. This night was the end of summer and the beginning of winter, and this was the night, it was believed, that the spirits of the dead roamed the earth. Anybody who ventured forth on this night would risk being taken by a milign spirit, to to make themselves.
unrecognisable to the spirits, they would camouflage themselves, or else
stay indoors. They used lights (candles, or other means of light such as a burning flame to keep the spirits away from them). In the UK, when I was a
child, we used turnips hollowed out, cut faces into the turnip, and went around with them. Trick or Treat didn't exist then in the UK, but we had parties when we did apple bobbing, and ate parkin and gingerbread men.
The clocks went back an hour (and still do), also marking the start of winter. We would sit round the fire and have soup and bread, and ham and potatoes, and then the parkin, a cake made with treacle, wholemeal flour, ginger and dark sugar and other ingredients. It's quite a sticky cake.

This thread reminds me of all of that, and it's nice to be able to share it with you.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Last of the leftovers. If we run out, there's always grilled cheese!

:ermm: isn't tomorrow Halloween Eve? tonight is Matt Night. lock up your toilet paper and eggs!!! :rolleyes:
Tomorrow (10-31) is Halloween. Some towns and cities have the littles do the trick-or-treating on a weekend day, though, if it works out. Our town is going old-school and holding trick-or-treat tomorrow night. Good thing, too, since it's raining here right now, but should be nice by 5:30 PM tomorrow.

We are having oven baked Bbq sauced spare ribs, homemade (mild) sauce, baked acorn squash and cole slaw. Apple crisp for dessert.

I haven't been feeling well today, so I thawed some more stuff from the freezer to heat up for dinner. Chili for DH and turkey a la king for me, both to be served over the rice medley I bought recently.

I had to be at a Twitter chat 7-8 (in support of my blog) so not having had dinner yet, just had l/o bbq beef sandwiches and sauerkraut balls with 1000 and mustard dips. Kind of lazy, but Sunday is my busy day.

If this is Sunday the 30th, I guess I'm in the right place.

We're having Chicken Thighs Cacciatore here tonight with the usual veggies (peppers,onion,mushrooms,celery) I had a half jar of frozen TJ's pizza sauce and mixed it with equal parts of red wine for the liquid...turned into a really nice and easy sauce for the party in the pan. Yummm...

We had chicken breasts simmered in a spicy diced tomato sauce, buttered baby lima beans, cast iron rolls and iced tea.

Ate much later than usual because our grand-trick-or-treater came by to beg for candy. He's nearly 4 and has more energy that 10 like him. He's a blast and a little like being in the middle of a tornado. Lots of fun and we'd earned our appetites after he left.:LOL:

If this is Sunday the 30th, I guess I'm in the right place.

We're having Chicken Thighs Cacciatore here tonight with the usual veggies (peppers,onion,mushrooms,celery) I had a half jar of frozen TJ's pizza sauce and mixed it with equal parts of red wine for the liquid...turned into a really nice and easy sauce for the party in the pan in the oven. Yummm...

Just wanted to add a great tip from Chef John....lay your sliced peppers on top of the covered dish before finishing in the oven. They stay whole and beautiful without cooking down to nothing.

Quick and easy Beef and Broccoli stir fry.

Attachments

• Beef and broccoli.jpg
    Beef and broccoli.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 136
Baked empanadas with filling of roasted butternut squash, roasted and peeled poblano peppers, smoked gouda, carmelized onion as main ingredients. Craig also made the dipping sauce with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and some other things I can't remember. I made the dough and put them together.
37240-albums1041-picture6714.jpg

Cheryl, we were thinking alike tonight, though I made it more of a beef chop suey, adding cauliflower, onion, red pepper, carrots, and mushrooms with the beef and broccoli. We had it with rice.

Our church had our Fall Fellowship meal last night. The church provided smoked and BBQ chicken and everyone brought a dish. Yum! I made a squash Casserole out of the summer squash I canned (rather than froze) which worked perfect. My favorite was the chocolate delight. Heaven on a plate!

;) couldn't 'quote' the title - Sunday Dinner Halloween Eve

Halloween is tomorrow so tonight is Halloween Eve. Halloween itself is All Hallows Eve. So tonight is actually All Hallows Eve Eve.

:LOL: AHA!! Took me a day to figure it out! So Andy, you mis-labeled the thread by forgetting the 2nd Eve! But then the 'ween part of Halloween is actually a contraction of Evening so I/we am/are no further ahead and am giving myself a headache! :wacko::ROFLMAO:
I'll quit and let you win... :D

Back
Top Bottom