What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went out for breakfast at 1 of go-to places this a.m. I got chicken fried steak, which was the most tender CFS I've ever had, with gravy, eggs, toast and grits. Kind of thought it was a bit odd to serve with toast instead of biscuits, but okay. Grits, however, were their first fail for us and boy was it a spectacular one. They were the consistency of and tasted like cream of wheat. I never even thought to ask whether they used instant, quick, or long-cooking because this place usually makes everything from scratch, they even make their own breakfast sausage.

We went to a new place called First Watch for breakfast today and we'll be going back. I had 1 of their summer specials, marinated heirloom cherry tomatoes on top of whole grain bread with a nice little ball of burrata on top, 2 cage-free organic eggs on the side. I was tempted to get an order of their bacon, brown sugar, cayenne, maple syrup, but I'm glad I didn't because I barely finished my plate as it was. Oh, cold-brewed iced coffee to go with. Craig had a chili chorizo omelette with lightly dressed micro greens, you can order potatoes instead, with sour dough toast and in-house made strawberry jam. He really liked their omelette, it was cooked perfectly.

They are a chain with locations middle of the country to the east coast, with a few in Arizona and Colorado. Obviously, they are oriented toward the healthy side, but they have some delicious sounding omelettes, waffles, french toast, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting.. I thought that First Watch seemed familiar..
They started here in Pacific Grove, CA in 1983 and left for Florida in 1986.. I never knew why the move but, am pleased that they have found great success...

Ross

I had a slice of multigrain bread, toasted, with a generous smear of ricotta cheese. Topped it with fresh, halved cherries. At home. We lead a dull life. :LOL:

Thanks for the mention of First Watch, med. Himself and I will definitely look for it when we head to FMB for our annual November trip.

Down in southern AZ where we use to live, there was a breakfast joint, The Good Egg. We noticed the last coupla times that we went down there, it changed names. Didn't think too much about it, because we weren't there to eat.

But with this conversation about First Watch, I looked it up ...
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix...e-good-egg-phoenix-breakfast-joint-to-be.html

I think the next time we head down there, we'll make a point of trying it.
We both love a good breakfast, and this looks better than the Good Egg ;)

We had homemade French Toast for brunch today. Had some leftover Italian bread that needed to be used up and Mom had to go get blood work done early this AM. So, I had a light breakfast when I got up so I could take my medicines and insulin, then after blood work was done we went to grocery store, so we didn't get home until around 10am.

We had homemade French Toast for brunch today. Had some leftover Italian bread that needed to be used up and Mom had to go get blood work done early this AM. So, I had a light breakfast when I got up so I could take my medicines and insulin, then after blood work was done we went to grocery store, so we didn't get home until around 10am.

I made French Toast as well, but with Portuguese Sweet Bread sent to us from friends back home.
Also, instead of Maple we had Coconut Syrup, MMM, ONO!!

001.JPG

002.JPG

Maybe it's just me, but this loaf from Hawaii seems so much bigger than the one I found here in the middle of the desert.

Great looking and sounding breakfasts! :yum:

This morning I had a bowl of Raisin Bran, a toasted English muffin with apricot jam, and a handful of purple grapes. A glass of iced tea, too.

I decided to have a glass of Irish coffee last night for dessert, but didn't feel like dragging out the coffee maker (we don't drink coffee very much at all at home). So, I heated up some water in a big mixing cup and just mixed the grounds in, let it steep for a while, then poured it through a very fine mesh strainer. I was getting ready to get rid of the rest of the coffee and the grounds last night, but then had an idea, ICED COFFEE for breakfast. So, that's what I had. I let the liquid stay in the grounds overnight so it would be really strong. Some sugar, some cream, and that really, really strong coffee made a perfect glass of iced coffee this morning (no Irish though).

I made French Toast as well, but with Portuguese Sweet Bread sent to us from friends back home.
Also, instead of Maple we had Coconut Syrup, MMM, ONO!!

View attachment 27355

View attachment 27356

Maybe it's just me, but this loaf from Hawaii seems so much bigger than the one I found here in the middle of the desert.

You're right, it does seem sweeter than the ones I see in the stores here. I've never tried it with that bread. Will have to try it sometime and see what it does to my blood sugar.

I am on my steamed kale from the garden, poached farm eggs, Tex-Mex black bean kick again. I know I have posted pics before..the eggs are the neighbor down the road from the Elders. I miss my girls. But at least this summer I have kale growing outside my window.

Nothing yet. Here it is going on 1:30 and I have yet had time to take a bite of anything. I got a late start today. Today was my appointment for my vitals to be taken and pick up on my monthly meds. As I walked into the door coming home from Winthrop, Teddy was jumping all over the place. I thought he needed to go out and do his thing. He needed to go out all right. For playtime.

I wanted to slay him. Instead, I let him play for about twenty minutes and brought him back inside. Someone came by with another male dog and Teddy being Teddy thinks he is a Great Dane and wants to go after it.

So now I am having my first meal of the day. Leftover American Chop Suey.

Wowza! Now that’s really good, honest, diner-style food.

DH and I went out for breakfast today to this place that seems rather new. We’ve driven past a few times, but not during their hours of operation, 6am til 2pm everyday but Tuesday.
We had to be out super early for an appointment and made it in to the diner today before 10am.
Between 6 and 10 they serve their Early Bird Special menu, not bad for $5.95. The choices are pretty wide and it includes coffee, tea, juice or soda.
Both my husband and I ordered 2 Eggs, Ham, Country Potatoes and toast, oh and for 99¢ extra, I added Country Gravy over my Potatoes, YEAH BABY!
They offer their entire menu all day, that’s breakfast and lunch meals.
We are definitely going back for the Meatloaf and homemade fresh Corned Beef Hash!

Between 6 and 10 they serve their Early Bird Special menu, not bad for $5.95. The choices are pretty wide and it includes coffee, tea, juice or soda.
Both my husband and I ordered 2 Eggs, Ham, Country Potatoes and toast, oh and for 99¢ extra, I added Country Gravy over my Potatoes, YEAH BABY!
They offer their entire menu all day, that’s breakfast and lunch meals.
...!

Wowza! could be repeated over and over... you can't even BUY those ingredients for that price, much less pay someone to cook it for you!

I'm drooling.

Wowza! could be repeated over and over... you can't even BUY those ingredients for that price, much less pay someone to cook it for you!

I'm drooling.

Ya know dragn, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right!!
It was quite a generous plate of food and mighty taste... I wish I had taken a photograph, but I mean diner food is what it is.
NOW, the table across from us that ordered the homemade fresh corned beef hash was a whole `nother bag a beans! :ohmy: MUST HAVE!!

We went back to First Watch. I had lemon ricotta pancakes served with lemon curd and fresh strawberries, plus their millionaire bacon. The pancakes were the size of the plate, 2 of them, and I only made it thru half of them. They definitely had lemon peel in them and I think it might have been candied as there was a tiny crunch in each bite. The bacon had brown sugar, maple syrup, black and cayenne peppers. Definitely had a bit of a kick to it. Brought a box home.

Craig had a gruyere and smoked ham omelette, with potatoes. Omelette was great again. The potatoes were slightly overcooked from precooking, and could have used a bit more browing, but were still good enough that he finished them.

The weather was a little more cooperative today and I felt like going the extra mile for breakfast.

We had vanilla-flavored waffles, link sausages, eggs (sunny side up for Glenn, soft scrambled for me), orange juice and coffee. The waffles were big, thick Belgian-style ones, which means we were FULL. The bonus...there were 6 waffles left to have tomorrow.

This morning's breakfast was sausage links, hash browns and eggs over easy with a buttered english muffin and apricot jam.

eggs-scrambled with Parmesan cheese cooked in butter, 4 slices of nitrate-free bacon and tomato with salt and pepper

Back
Top Bottom