What is your limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to find a butcher near me - over the last year or so I've gone from buying everything pre-made to buying raw ingredients and the transformation would feel complete if I bought meat from a real butcher rather than a grocery.

They are hard to find nowadays. Most real butchers you will find in the back room of your local supermarket. If you can find out the name of the manager of the back room and ask for him or her by name, they would feel really special knowing that someone really wanted their skills and knowledge. :angel:

We have plenty of fishmongers, butchers, bakers - and even a candle maker. What we don't have is any greengrocers. We grow as much as we can, but generally we have to go to supermarkets buy vegetables (mostly tasteless).

I doesn't cost extra to use a credit card for everything so you can get points or miles for future purchases. When SO was working full time, she got lots of points that paid for tickets to Aruba and car rentals.
I do the same thing. I pay for all my gas and groceries with American Express because the particular card I have gives me double points for doing so. And let's face it - gas and groceries are necessities I buy every week, so those are easily earned points. I just pay the card off in full every month. Those points have paid for a few vacations over the years.

Last edited:
When Buck was alive, we spent $95 per week, which included pet foods/supplies, too. Now I spend significantly less, mostly because I have no appetite and eat just to "fill the hole." It takes me over a month to finish a 12-ounce bag of potato chips.

Like Maverick, I shop at Aldi. Also, take advantage of specials and am a coupon hound.
I LOVE Aldi! There is still a degree of snobbery in the UK about using the store but they have some very good stuff. Despite the lower prices much of their food stuffs are very good quality, eg own brand mayo which I'd swear is Hellman's under Aldi's name and excellent quality fruit and veg. They stock several varieties of Indian and China teas (bear with me, I'm English :)) plus herbal teas and also a good range, reasonably priced, of ground coffee. The only problem is the general goods aisles in between the food aisles! I rarely escape without a new pair of amazingly good quality but inexpensive jodhpurs or some knitting yarn, kitchen equipment or a book (sigh!)

I LOVE Aldi! There is still a degree of snobbery in the UK about using the store but they have some very good stuff. Despite the lower prices much of their food stuffs are very good quality, eg own brand mayo which I'd swear is Hellman's under Aldi's name and excellent quality fruit and veg. They stock several varieties of Indian and China teas (bear with me, I'm English :)) plus herbal teas and also a good range, reasonably priced, of ground coffee. The only problem is the general goods aisles in between the food aisles! I rarely escape without a new pair of amazingly good quality but inexpensive jodhpurs or some knitting yarn, kitchen equipment or a book (sigh!)

I think we all do some impulse buying every so often. :angel:

I do the same thing. I pay for all my gas and groceries with American Express because the particular card I have gives me double points for doing so. And let's face it - gas and groceries are necessities I buy every week, so those are easily earned points. I just pay the card off in full every month. Those points have paid for a few vacations over the years.

Same here, although we use a different card. Since Kroger opened near us, we do most of our grocery and gas shopping there. They also offer discounts on gas based on how many points you accumulate by shopping there.

DH is going to fill up our vehicles and gas containers today for 70 cents off, which will reduce the price to about $1.10 per gallon! :woot:

I doesn't cost extra to use a credit card for everything so you can get points or miles for future purchases. When SO was working full time, she got lots of points that paid for tickets to Aruba and car rentals.
We flew Business Class from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires free using credit card miles. Also from Los Angeles to Moscow and back Business Class

Last edited:
I make sure I check the flyer before I leave the house. :angel:

I do 70% of my shopping based on what's for sale on the flyer for the local mom and pop grocery store. This week, chuck roasts were buy 1, get 1 free. So I bought 4 and vacuum sealed 3 for future use. And we ate one a few days ago. That saves us $15 and there's always at least 3 or 4 proteins to choose from.

Also, cans of veggies were on sale for 40 cents, so I bought like 50 cans. Won't have to buy veggies for 3 months. :)

jd, do you ever shop at Marc's? When we're back home, I make sure to hit Marc's and Aldi's before I head to any of the "real" grocery stores. Manage to get the bulk of my shopping done at those two stores before moving on to the high-priced places.

I don't mind spending on food because it's just me. I spent under $100. this week. I have enough stuff to make enough Cannelloni for an army and enough to make Jambalaya for an army

There is no such thing as a real butcher nor fish monger where I live. I can't buy short ribs for example because most of their meat comes in pre-packaged and folks down here don't buy bone in. I can't get a good corned beef. I have to order bread that cost an arm and a leg on the internet because all we have here is that soft crap. It's quite frustrating.

I have to order bread that cost an arm and a leg on the internet because all we have here is that soft crap. It's quite frustrating.
Have you tried no-knead (or Dutch oven) bread? I make a rosemary and olive oil bread that gets a lot of compliments, and my daughter thinks that my rye bread is better than a well known local bakery. Nothing like bread that is baked a few hours before eaten.

Jim Lahey is the genius that started the whole thing, and the New York Times article made it popular. There are a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube.

I looked up Jim Lahey rye bread. I love the holes in it. Good bread should have holes. I think that I could do it. I like my bread very sour. Do you know how to make it more sour? I'd need to add caraway seeds at some point.

I'm paying $9. a loaf plus shipping for Jewish rye from NY. It's good bread but it would be better if it were more sour, and it doesn't have holes. I'd like to try to make better myself.

What do you thing about flour from Bob's Red Mill?

Last edited:
I looked up Jim Lahey rye bread. I love the holes in it. Good bread should have holes. I think that I could do it. I like my bread very sour. Do you know how to make it more sour? I'd need to add caraway seeds at some point.

I'm paying $9. a loaf plus shipping for Jewish rye from NY. It's good bread but it would be better if it were more sour, and it doesn't have holes. I'd like to try to make better myself.

What do you thing about flour from Bob's Red Mill?

The longer you let the dough ferment in the fridge, the more sour it gets. With the no-knead bread recipe, you can leave it for up to two weeks.

It can be difficult to get rye bread to rise and have big holes because it doesn't have as much gluten as wheat. It should be very tasty, though. I would add the caraway seeds when you first mix the dough.

Another option is to get a bread machine. I use mine to make dough and then bake it in the oven.

Last edited:
The longer you let the dough ferment in the fridge, the more sour it gets. With the no-knead bread recipe, you can leave it for up to two weeks.

It can be difficult to get rye bread to rise and have big holes because it doesn't have as much gluten as wheat. It should be very tasty, though. I would add the caraway seeds when you first mix the dough.

Another option is to get a bread machine. I use mine to make dough and then bake it in the oven.

Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm going to try the no-kneed rye when I get up the guts. I should have known that the lack of gluten in the rye was what made the rye bread devoid of holes. But this guy had lovely beautiful holes in his bread. Just look 02/28/13 • EASY RYE BREAD - THE RECIPE GRINDER.

I don't mind wheat flour as long as the bread comes out tasting lie rye bread. I will keep the dough in the fridge for 2 weeks. I like what most folks would consider to be overly sour bread.

I'm going to try the no-kneed rye when I get up the guts. I should have known that the lack of gluten in the rye was what made the rye bread devoid of holes.
Takes no guts. It's an idiot proof method (and I am living proof of that!). My rye bread is 2-1/4 cups bread flour and 3/4 cup rye flour. Lots of holes. Caraway seeds (2-3 Tbsp.) are added at the start of the process. You don't need to go to two weeks, just a few days seems to work for me.

Thanks for the encouragement. For me making bread takes guts even when the recipe is said to be foolproof. I will try it when I get low on the loves from NY. I still have 2 in the freezer. If if the bread I make sucks I will give up and buy the stuff from NY. Baking scares me to death.

Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm going to try the no-kneed rye when I get up the guts. I should have known that the lack of gluten in the rye was what made the rye bread devoid of holes. But this guy had lovely beautiful holes in his bread. Just look 02/28/13 • EASY RYE BREAD - THE RECIPE GRINDER.

I don't mind wheat flour as long as the bread comes out tasting lie rye bread. I will keep the dough in the fridge for 2 weeks. I like what most folks would consider to be overly sour bread.

You'll have to try it and see how you like it. I made rye with a mixture of flours and my husband wanted more rye flavor, so I switched the ratios. It didn't rise as well, but I made a 1 1/2 pound loaf instead of a 1-pound, so he was happy :)

jd, do you ever shop at Marc's? When we're back home, I make sure to hit Marc's and Aldi's before I head to any of the "real" grocery stores. Manage to get the bulk of my shopping done at those two stores before moving on to the high-priced places.

I went to Marc's a couple of years ago. We usually buy butter at Aldi's and a few odds and ends, but for the most part I just shop at the local family owned IGA store. They put a flyer out weekly, and I buy whatever's on sale and stock up.

It's sort of an old fashioned type place in that they have plenty of cashiers so you never wait long in line, and they have bag boys with bowties on to help the older people with their groceries. I think the prices are about the same or even cheaper than the bigger chains like Giant Eagle.

Plus I like their hot foods/deli. For $6, you can get an entree, 2 sides, and a roll. I sometimes grab a couple of those for a quick dinner.

Are you from NE Ohio?

Back
Top Bottom