Mud's First Brined Bird - Progress Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having been a voyeur of your brining lesson since its beginning, I must ask: How long did you soak the chicken in the brine? I need a benchmark here.

Put stockpot full of brine and chicken in fridge around 11:30 this a.m. took it out to sit on counter about 4 pm. Just put it in the oven right before I posted this thread.

Four and a half hours. Thank you. Enjoy your dinner tonight.

Please have your Final Report on my desktop by 9:00 a.m. tomorrow, inclusive of cooking time, taste, texture, moisture, characteristics of skin, quantity of pan drippings and use thereof, and any unexpected findings. Additional information regarding family/consumer comments, as well as side dishes offered, would be appreciated.

(I've never done this myself...always wanted to, though. You've left a nice paper trail, Mud and pals - thank you. My jury will convene tomorrow morning with Mudbug on the witness stand....)

Eeeexcellent Smithers!

A progress report is nice, but I think I would rather have the chicken. The leftovers are rocking in enchiladas BTW.

Ever tried this?

Mvc-249s.jpg

That's GREAT!!!!! (Note to self: must remember onions under skin when placing Chicken Tampon on the smoker...)

And now for the exciting conclusion......

After roasting at 450 for approx 1.2 hours, bird removed from oven and allowed to rest for a few minutes. Poured off most of the drippings, added splash of merlot to deglaze pan and a smidge of flour to make a quick sauce (OK but not wonderful--too much grease). Skin on breast of bird classic GB (golden brown), underside much paler. Flesh was moist, succulent, almost "creamy" tasting. Addition of rosemary was key to flavor.

Served with split biscuits and pan gravy poured over them, and green salad.

Husband grunted approval in typical articulate fashion; barbarian daughter ate hers with ketchup.

Conclusion: Definite success! I would like to thank the members of the Academy for their support and instruction.

I am so happy it worked for you! Now when do we get our invite to come over and have a taste :LOL:

Mudbug, I am most impressed and...frankly...proud. Nearly two hours ahead of deadline and lovely detail. Not surprised, though. I immediately pegged you as an overachiever, which was confirmed most recently by the Proud Mary thread.

Based upon your conclusion, I shall try my hand at this technique on Saturday when the hoards are next scheduled to reconvene at my house. I really like the idea of biscuits with gravy and a salad, thank you, and shall denude the Rosemary Monster in the backyard -- another fabulous idea.

My one and only deviation shall be to insert lemon halves under the breast skin. I simply cannot wait until NY Day to test the waters on that one.

Well done, my friend. Well done!

Couldn't have done it without everyone's support. Another reason I'm lovin' this board!

Let us know how yours turns out too, Audeo. And I'm sure my hangover on Jan. 2, 2005 will be lifted by the description of the famous Tampon Chicken in her latest reincarnation!

Thanks, Alix. We are trying to de-program her. Fortunately she's stopped dipping her carrots in the stuff.

ADDED LATER:
'scuse my rudeness. forgot to ask how your chicken on the grill with the bricks turned out.

Back
Top Bottom