Chefs who inspire you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chef John is a go-to when I need to get motivated to cook, and just can't get there on my own. I do the same thing with videos of home design and decorating when I need motivation to clean my house. :LOL:

CD

I also enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing, CD. He covered the important steps without making it a big deal. Very relaxed and comfortable with what he was doing.

Nice video. I love carbonara..but, even I thought that was a lot of fat he left in the pan....although, he has lived to be a ripe old age, so who am I to argue? Bring on the guanciale!!:pig:

Yeah, that's a lot of fat, but it fits Chef Carluccio's style. Like a lot of old-school chefs, he likes rich (which means fatty) foods.

When I made carbonara for the first time from that video, I did what he did did, and it was awesome, in a very "I now need a nap" kind of way. I could hear my arteries arguing with my taste buds, and telling me, "Dude, seriously?" I go a bit lighter on the pork fat now.

I also use the paper towel method of reducing fats in a pan.

CD

Now THAT was an enjoyable and informative video, Casey. I miss those days of real cooking shows. These days they focus too much on entertainment, fake sets with fake trees blowing in the wind from fake windows :LOL:, make up, cleavage, the newest Le Crueset cookware props, etc., etc., etc....

I too want carbonara now...man, that looked good. :yum:

Last edited:
Now THAT was an enjoyable and informative video, Casey. I miss those days of real cooking shows. These days they focus too much on entertainment, fake sets with fake trees blowing in the wind from fake windows :LOL:, make up, cleavage, the newest Le Crueset cookware props, etc., etc., etc....

I don't know why, but the name "Giada" suddenly comes to mind. :ohmy: :LOL:

CD

I see nothing wrong with either LeCrueset or cleavage.

:LOL: Y'all come out commenting on my tiny print "cleavage" word, but as far as enjoying real cooking shows and being super home cooks yourselves, I know you better than that. :chef: Nice try. :wub::LOL:

Last edited:
How a cooking presents cooking information should be of less importance than the quality of the information provided. I have, for example, made and enjoyed several of Giada's recipes and they are now in my rotation.

How a cooking presents cooking information should be of less importance than the quality of the information provided. I have, for example, made and enjoyed several of Giada's recipes and they are now in my rotation.

? All I know is that I'm done with FN shows that focus a third of the film time on things such as Giada's backyard parties, Guy's cars, Ree's cattle roundups, Ina's barn re-do's...etc. I've been done with them for quite some time, although I'm sure they do have some good recipes out there.

Last edited:
? All I know is that I'm done with FN shows that focus a third of the film time on things such as Giada's backyard parties, Guy's cars, Ree's cattle roundups, Ina's barn re-do's...etc. I've been done with them for quite some time, although I'm sure they do have some good recipes out there.

Guy is not only... um... questionable with serious food people, but has a less than stellar reputation with serious car people -- like me. Even his famous Camaro SS on DD&D isn't the "real deal". It's a retro-mod with a 502 crate motor. Click this link...

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-all-the-cars-guy-fieri-has-ruined-1657393768

Guy is and entertainer who can cook. He might even be able to cook top-level food, if he turns the cameras off and cooks just for family and friends. I'm sure he has more cooking talent than I do, but that's not saying a whole lot.

I have a hard time watching Giada cook, because she's always showing off her cleavage, and I'm a man. My ex-wife was like that. I lost count of the times I saw men looking at her rather impressive cleavage. It was both funny and annoying at the same time.

CD

Aside from the cleavage, which to my mind is solely the erroneous minds of the producers/directors (shows where their minds are at- hollywood couches?)... are the constant big toothy grins... drives me nuts and seriously puts me off the food.

Another "Pet Peeve" and I guess this should be in "Vents" is how everyone on cooking shows whacks their spoons THREE TIMES on the edge of the pots EVERY time - whether or not it is needed. :glare: Worse on the edge of pressure cookers for which I was taught is a real 'nno-no' possibly making dents and endangering the seal. Wooden spoons are bad enough to whack - but I saw one chef use a metal spoon and each time he stirred he would whack away at the edge. :wacko:

Aside from the cleavage, which to my mind is solely the erroneous minds of the producers/directors (shows where their minds are at- hollywood couches?)

I think it's really just her style. Many of her family members, in Italy and in the United States, were in the movie industry, and she studied at the Cordon Bleu in Paris. She's not a country girl [emoji2]

My FIL named one of their dogs after her [emoji38]

Here Giada! Here puppy! Good Girl! Love it.

I didn't say she couldn't cook, I've done several of her recipes and they were good.

Here Giada! Here puppy! Good Girl! Love it.

I didn't say she couldn't cook, I've done several of her recipes and they were good.
I mentioned the Cordon Bleu because it's in Paris, which generally has less conservative fashion than many parts of the United States. It goes with spending her first seven years in Italy and then moving to Hollywood. It's just part of who she is, imo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom