Food products that are "NEW" to you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
msm, I just checked the Lidl locator map. Seems like the stores start around Long Island (which they have practically blanketed!) and go as far south as the Georgia area. Nothing in New England, nothing in OH, nothing in FL. If we were still driving to FL down I-95, I'd be able to check one out come November. We've found taking I-81 a much more pleasant trip, though, since we avoid the bottleneck known as CT-NY-NJ-MD-VA. Nothing but traffic from Danbury, CT to almost Richmond, VA.
There are two Lidl stores near me ;) [emoji319]

Sounds like a reason to route ourselves through Williamsburg on a trip to FL, GG! Mostly to see you and your DH again, but I *think* I could sell it better to Himself if I suggest Williamsburg so that we could stop to see his cousin's widow. ;) Plus, I really enjoyed the one time we visited, and then we took US 113 up the DelMarVa peninsula to home. Plus, old neighbors of ours now live in DE. Maybe we could swing by to see them, too.

Then again, maybe I should get my hiney in gear and get us back to OH. That way I can forget visiting the DelMarVa, our dear former neighbors, and N.E. But we could still visit Williamsburg - and you!

Last edited:
There's a Lidl store fairly close to me, that opened toward the end of last year, yet I've never been there! Thanks for reminding me - I have to start looking at their online weekly ads. They had one local ad, just before they opened, but it's not close enough for me get the weekly ad; only towns much closer get that. Aldi is so close I could walk there - I just wouldn't want carry the bags home!:LOL:

There's a Lidl store fairly close to me, that opened toward the end of last year, yet I've never been there! Thanks for reminding me - I have to start looking at their online weekly ads. They had one local ad, just before they opened, but it's not close enough for me get the weekly ad; only towns much closer get that. Aldi is so close I could walk there - I just wouldn't want carry the bags home!:LOL:

There’s a Lidl app people were getting scanned. Will need to check that out.

Tonight, we tried some new-to-us merguez sausages. They were wonderful, just a bit of lamb flavour and wonderfully seasoned. They are from a company called, "Boucherie Nordest". It's here in Québec, and I doubt that they sell internationally. I'm not even sure they bother selling outside Québec. DH sometimes likes merguez, but isn't usually thrilled by it. He really liked this one. Heck, it smelled good as soon as I opened the package.

Merguez Lamb Sausages from Boucherie Nordest

I has discovered Dukkah. A nut and spice mix to use as a garnish for salads, soups, roast veg etc. Or dip for bread and olive oil. Never made it yet but am going to today. Will report back ?

We get them here in our part of France. Very popular for BBQ’s. Spicy flavour. They are ‘OK’ not my favourite but then I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to sausages. Prefer good old juicy pork bangers!

My wife decided to go mostly plant-based, so I've been buying vegan products: mayonnaise, sausages, burger, 'chicken' strips, cheese, etc. Most of the stuff is pretty good. No doubt healthier. I made some vegan ricotta from firm tofu with a blender. Worked a treat in lasagna.

I has discovered Dukkah. A nut and spice mix to use as a garnish for salads, soups, roast veg etc. Or dip for bread and olive oil. Never made it yet but am going to today. Will report back ?

I would love to see your recipe, if you like the one you make.

My wife decided to go mostly plant-based, so I've been buying vegan products: mayonnaise, sausages, burger, 'chicken' strips, cheese, etc. Most of the stuff is pretty good. No doubt healthier. I made some vegan ricotta from firm tofu with a blender. Worked a treat in lasagna.

Some whole food plant based people eat without the fake products, or make their own "not meat or cheese products", but look alikes from whole foods. For some, no refined oil, or refined sugar, or salt or salt substitutes. For others they spend a lot of time and money on faking a standard american diet on each plate of food.

I have a friend that went plant based last year, alone but has 10 people in her household. Now a year later, they are all eating plant based. (imagine if you will a family of 10 is a lot of work) She says for them it is faster, simpler, and clean up is easier too. That seems like a happy miracle for them.

I'm so glad for your wife she went mostly plant based. It's so good for her. I hope she enjoys it as much as we do. It's good of you to support that with her. :) Getting support for healthy eating is key.

Lidl's products I picked up the other day. All Lidl brand I've never had before.

lidl_products_081721_1_img_8451-jpg.44198

lidl_products_081721_2_img_8452-jpg.44199

lidl_products_081721_3_img_8453-jpg.44200

lidl_products_081721_4_img_8454-jpg.44201

Trader Joe products I picked up today. These are new to me. I've never seen violet corn, and I've never had English peas before.

violet_corn_english_peas_081721_img_8457-jpg.44202

msm, I'll be waiting to see what you think about those Stocks, from Lidl. How much did they cost?

I really have to check my store out. In that town, there is actually an Aldi across the street from it.

msm, I'll be waiting to see what you think about those Stocks, from Lidl. How much did they cost?

I really have to check my store out. In that town, there is actually an Aldi across the street from it.
32 oz. box, $1.55

I would love to see your recipe, if you like the one you make.

Hi Taxlady
I tried this yesterday on a green salad and it was really nice. Next I will use it as a garnish on soup. Here is the recipe,

INGREDIENTS for Dukkah

½ cup walnuts
⅓ cup almonds or hazelnuts
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
About 20 twists of freshly ground black pepper

Toast the whole nuts (walnuts and almonds) in a skillet until they’re starting to smell nice and fragrant.
Add the sesame seeds, so they get a chance to toast as well. They’re so small that they could burn if you added them along with the larger nuts.
Remove the nuts and seeds from the heat, and transfer them to a food processor.
Add the spices, and process the mixture until the nuts are broken down to the point that they resemble coarse sand. Don’t go too long, or you could end up with spicy nut butter (actually, that sounds pretty good, too).
That’s it! This simple recipe will take you about 10 minutes to make, from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom