I'm Surprised It's Working So Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
It should come as no surprise that a member of this forum has weight issues. I have battled weight issues for most of my life.

In 2003, after I had my heart attack, I went on a strict calorie counting diet and lost 43 pounds. Of course that didn't last, my love of food and eating took over and I slowly climbed back to my pre-HA weight and beyond.

Last Fall, SO was ready to diet so she asked me to set her place with a dessert plate instead of a dinner plate from now on. She also asked for a "no seconds" policy. That seemed to be a painless approach so after the holidays when I was at my heaviest, I decided to try it too. In addition, I cut out my night time desserts.

Over the past few months, I've found I can be happy with less food at meal times than I have been accustomed to eating. I still miss my desserts.

So the bottom line is that I have fairly painlessly lost twenty pounds. While that's not a huge amount given the successes others here have had, I'm now below my Pre-HA high weight. I don't know how far this will take me. We shall see.

The other day, SO suggested we start a daily walking routine when the weather warms up. Sounds kind of radical to me.

Congratulations, Andy! A pound or two per week is a healthy amount to lose, so you're on the right track.

DH and I used to go for long walks together. I can't now with the neuropathy in my feet. I miss it.

My son and I are planning a couple mile walk around a lake for tomorrow and possibly on Easter too. Him and I haven't walked together in years. The weather will be in the 50's F so it should be a nice walk. Shopping (not one of my favorite things) can add up to a lot of walking too. We are on a quest to find fresh horseradish. We've been checking for it for weeks in our city area, and no one is carrying it anymore. We are going to walk in a smaller city but one with specialty stores for a richer clientele. So, hopefully we find some tomorrow.

I've been slacking on my high fat/protein/veggies, low carb diet until this past two days, now I'm on track and I feel good (without the guilt!).
I taught him cream sauces today, and SOS, he had it with a shingle and I ate it in a bowl.

Good for you Andy!

I have neither gained nor lost weight in at least 5 years. Periodically I notice I have to cinch up my belt or let it out a notch. So I know my weight fluctuates over time.

I know I do not eat as much as I used to do. On a daily basis I am not a member of the clean plate club. I try to eat at least one / sometimes two veggies or a salad at dinnertime , not counting potatoes. Pretty much cut out sandwiches when I retired and no longer made work lunches. I seldom have sweets in the house, except Dx is forever sending home a baggie of her choc chip cookies. I bought a bag of potato chips this week. They will probably go stale before eating them. No soda pop. I drink lots of water, usually w/ a lemon or lime slice or ice tea winter or summer. I think I do not eat enough fruit.

My downfalls, if it can be considered this. I like potatoes, pasta and ice cream. I like buttered popcorn, which is my go-to snack. I didn't walk enough this winter, which will pick up again as it gets warmer weather. Same for bike riding.

I read with interest the low carb topics. I don't follow them, but I read them. I see various WFD threads with low carb meals q/day. Every once in a while I will see Bingo, I hit a low carb meal even if it wasn't a planned event.

I try not to have too much food guilt.

:clap:

Great job!

It's all about the little things that we do everyday, at every meal!

The small plate has been helpful to me, also the small 8 oz. glass for beverages that contain calories.

Keep us posted on the walking. I need to get into the groove again now that spring is here. For me walking is fine as long as I have a destination like the store or the Post Office otherwise I feel like a homeless person wandering the streets! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Congrats, Andy! It's so hard saying goodbye to those hard-earned pounds...:ermm: Seriously, isn't it nice to see the weight go away?
...The other day, SO suggested we start a daily walking routine when the weather warms up. Sounds kind of radical to me.
I hope this was typed with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek. When I wanted to take weight off before our kids graduations, not wanting to be the chubbiest mom in the auditoriums, I started with walking six months before I cut back on food. I walked at least a mile every day, either in the mall I was working at, around the (1.2 mile) block, or on the treadmill. I ended up losing 40 pounds over a period of a year-15 months.

Good luck with your efforts and keep us updated on your progress.

Anything you can do to make your life better is a good thing Andy!

My life changed last Sept. when I came home from a trip and was told I need a knee replacement! Whatttttt?
There's no way in the world I'll deal with extra weight on this knee with no need, so it was time to take responsibility. My mobility is limited with walking, but I sure can deal with loosing the weight impact on that knee, both for now and when it really needs replacing. Ouch.
Since Sept. I've lost 40 lbs on a low carb diet and feel great. It's just another way of thinking.

That smaller salad plate is a trick I learned many years ago. It is surprising how satisfied you feel when you fill up that plate and think you have a full meal going down. Two pork chops cannot fit on the plate along with a large baked potato and a helping of veggie also.

So you take the smaller chop and put a smaller amount of mashed potatoes or the smaller baked one. After all you need to still leave room for that veggie. And with a smaller potato, you find yourself using less butter or other topping. And you soon discover that salt and pepper are enough seasoning.

And guess what. Pretty soon you are going to find that when you go to eat a dessert it is just way more sweet than you remember. If you really feel like you have been deprived enough and want something sweet, eat a piece of fruit. Fruit is loaded with natural sugar. Enough to satisfy that sweet tooth.

A trick a dietician told me many, many moons ago was to eat a salad about 20 minutes before you eat the main dish. It takes your stomach that long to recognize that there is food in there, and you will find that you get filled up with even less food on your smaller plate. And you won't miss that dessert so much. Also don't wash down each mouthful of food. Take that sip after you swallow that mouthful. The reason behind that is, if you wash your food down before you are finished chewing it, you don't get the full satisfaction of chewing and eating your food.

Andy I started out at 4'7" tall and 180 lbs., went down to 160 lbs., then 140 lbs. and now am at 120 lbs. And all due to all the little tricks my dietician shared with and taught me. Right now I am on maintenance, but will be back on the "plan." I want to lose at least another five to ten pounds.

Can you picture a little woman at 4'7" tall at 180 lbs.? No wonder I had a heart problem and couldn't walk. But I was great at waddling!

Congratulations Andy. Keep up the good work. Take a hint from the marathon runners. They don't let weather stop them from running. Don't let it stop you from taking a walk each day. Just dress for the weather. If it is raining, take an umbrella. Too hot, walk on the shady side of the street. And it is a lot more fun if you hold hands while you are looking into each other's eyes. You will be reminded that you are not walking just for yourself, but your SO also. Won't it feel great when the both of you are healthy together? :angel:

Last edited:
FANTASTIC, ANDY!!!!! So glad to hear that! We do want you healthy and happy around here! Ya Turd! ;):LOL:

Keep us updated! If ya get off track we will beat your a..! :ROFLMAO:

Hang in there! Wish you both the best!

Happy Easter.....with NO CHOCOLATE OR ANY CANDY!!! :ohmy: :LOL:

It should come as no surprise that a member of this forum has weight issues. I have battled weight issues for most of my life.

In 2003, after I had my heart attack, I went on a strict calorie counting diet and lost 43 pounds. Of course that didn't last, my love of food and eating took over and I slowly climbed back to my pre-HA weight and beyond.

Last Fall, SO was ready to diet so she asked me to set her place with a dessert plate instead of a dinner plate from now on. She also asked for a "no seconds" policy. That seemed to be a painless approach so after the holidays when I was at my heaviest, I decided to try it too. In addition, I cut out my night time desserts.

Over the past few months, I've found I can be happy with less food at meal times than I have been accustomed to eating. I still miss my desserts.

So the bottom line is that I have fairly painlessly lost twenty pounds. While that's not a huge amount given the successes others here have had, I'm now below my Pre-HA high weight. I don't know how far this will take me. We shall see.

The other day, SO suggested we start a daily walking routine when the weather warms up. Sounds kind of radical to me.

Good job on losing 20 lbs without exercise!
I cannot lose weight unless I exercise and count/watch carbs. I learned very early on, for me at least, calorie counting was not working.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

When I crave a sweet, I now resort to mini candies. A mini York peppermint patty or two. A couple of peanut M&Ms, etc. That takes the edge off my craving for a big wedge of chocolate cake topped with ice cream. I see that as a net gain.

I like to have a box of dark chocolate sea salt caramels on hand (Lehmans.com) one and I'm done for dessert.

For me it's a few Hershey's sugar free baking chips mixed with some nuts.
shopping

Last edited:
Congratulations, Andy! A 20 lb. loss is a huge accomplishment, especially since you've found a relatively painless way to do it while not depriving yourself too terribly much. I think that's when people fail at weight loss, and then end up going on a binge.

Most of my adult life I've hovered right around 130-135 without much trouble. I do need to walk more, though. I'm getting more inspired now. :)

Way to go, Andy! 20 lb is 2 lb less than Beagle, and hear me now or believe me later, she could drag you down!

She's probably a bit lower to the ground though. I always figure it in pounds of butter.

Did you get out and walk? We did. We walked around a small lake, about 2.3-3 miles, then we followed that up with exercise disguised as shopping. The additional moving around/walking is supposed to burn off the lactic acid/sugar in the muscle from the walking. We stopped at a bread store outlet. We stopped at Kohls to use gift certificates and walked the whole store. We stopped at Best Buy and walked the whole store for possible purchases with gift certificates. We stopped at 2 grocery stores, and walked every aisle, in search of cream of shrimp soup (found it) and fresh horseradish (found it). Two great victories. We stopped at a coffee shop, one free coffee for having a punch card full, one free coffee for buying a pound of coffee, this revved up our engines. No more shopping exercise until next week to finish off the gift certificates at 2 places. Today, my calves and ankles were a little stiff but they are fine now. My hips and butt and legs are a little sore but that is wearing off as I move around this morning. We have some 5 lb hand weights and we will add 10 minutes of upper body exercises, for arms, neck, upper chest, upper back. It is supposed to rain all day, so possibly we'll stay inside. If we walk we will walk down the road and back for 3 miles today and/or we will clean out a 20 by 15 foot crawl space down in the basement. We will be hauling boxes up and out (old clothing in boxes, gardening supplies from years past, odds and ends) in my sorting-clearing-cleaning effort. The crawl space is only 4-5 feet tall so we have to crouch and crawl around in it then crawl down 4 feet to the basement level, then carry it up one flight of stairs. This is exercise disguised as cleaning. We will sweep it and clear it of cobwebs, then the area will be used for storing building materials, plumbing supplies, things to use to fix things in the house if the need arises. Andy I hope you get a chance to walk. It can be quite enjoyable and losing weight is just a side effect by raising your metabolism up a bit. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom