ISO help w/bleach with water and hands skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i've another question

what is the ratio for cold water and bleach so that it is ok and so that the hands skin will not get damaged?

do you keep you kitchen sponge inside such solution?

i do, and i also cover it loosely so that the bleach will not evaporate (i got the tip in the book "you, the owners manual")

I've read it is 4 parts water to 1 part household bleach (2.6%).

But I use vinegar for household sponges. Much less caustic or dangerous and extremely effective.

I save the bleach for toilets and laundry.

The standard for commercial kitchens is a capful of bleach in a gallon of water. It really doesn't take much. It's best to mix it fresh each time you use it.

I use a mixture of one third each distilled white vinegar, lemon juice and water in a spray bottle as a general kitchen cleaner. It works great and smells nice.

You guys might have used too much bleach, dragn. When our power was out for more than 3 ½ days, I rinsed our dishes in bleach water (then a quick re-rinse in plain). It was just one tablespoon in a gallon of water and barely smelled at all. Then again, my nose was so cold I probably wasn't noticing smells much...

i've another question

what is the ratio for cold water and bleach so that it is ok and so that the hands skin will not get damaged?

do you keep you kitchen sponge inside such solution?

i do, and i also cover it loosely so that the bleach will not evaporate (i got the tip in the book "you, the owners manual")

Belated Chanukah Sameach.

I do not. But I regularly wash my sponge in dishwasher, when I do dishes.

Sorry CG, the amounts I gave were for cleaning only - not drinking! I should have been more clear. But you should be able to smell it!

I'm not planning on drinking bleach water, dragn! But 4 parts water to 1 part bleach is much stronger than any formula I have seen for any type of cleaning, which is what I was doing to the dishes. Here is the info from the U.S. government's health and safety department:

View attachment 50282

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211207-155106.jpg
    Screenshot_20211207-155106.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
That's pretty blurry, dragn. In case you can't read it, food prep cleaning is 1 T/1 gallon of water. Bathrooms and changing table areas is 1 T/1 quart of water. Cleaning up from vomit or fecal matter is 2 T/1 quart of water. Even that ratio, at 1/32 bleach to water, is weaker than what you used. I hope your Girl Guides leader wasn't trying to kill you guys off! [emoji54]

Back in the late 40's and early 50's that is what we were required to do. By that time chlorine tablets had been developed for drinking water (for the war?). So the actual use of liquid bleach was not required. Wasn't any stronger smell or taste than you get nowadays from city water.

But back to poor OP's issue, yeah, good choice with the vinegar SEEING!

Back
Top Bottom