ISO Savory French Toast Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
do you have recipe for savory french toast that you like a lot? i had a taste one time of this novel (to me) way with french toast, loved it, then promptly forgot about it for a long time. i like the idea of a non-sweet version of this ofttimes saccharin sweet dish. i would like to serve it instead of potatoes, rice or pasta with fish or chicken. i remember it as peppery, herb-laced dish with a spicy tomatoey topping, which could easily stand alone as an entree. it appeals to me also as a tasty fall breakfast meal....:)

That is new to me!

Is it like a savory bread pudding or does the topping go on the toast?

A couple of times a year I make variations of a Monte Cristo sandwich for breakfast or brunch and serve it with cranberry sauce or pure maple syrup. You can fill them with all sorts of meats, cheeses, vary the kinds of bread etc...

the texture and appearance of the savory french toast were very similar to the regular. the accompanying tomatoey sauce that i used for a topping was some form of (homemade?) spicy ketchup. i really don't know, it may have even been sriracha. the toast i know had green onion, maybe thyme, cilantro and plenty of coarse black pepper and salt. i think a pure maple syrup would also make an excellent topping for this savory type of french toast. i only wish i had paid closer attention, but i wasn't much into cooking at the time....

French toast is a custard soaked into stale bread and cooked on a griddle. Make your custard savory instead of sweet and you'll be good to go.

I make cheddar cheese waffles with savory maple syrup--add bay leaf, thyme/sage to to maple syrup. You simmer the syrup for about 5 minutes (after it boils) and then remove the seasoning. I make these for supper sometimes. I've never heard of savory French Toast.

People may hate this idea but my friends and I sometimes have french toast with marmite. It's very nice if you are a fan of marmite.

Mind you I've never tried anything like this, but think it might work...
Season a slice of bread with mixture of your choice of dried/powdered savory spices (maybe a curry). French toast it as usual. Top with complementary gravy/sauce/condiment. Interesting idea, Vit, lots of room for very easy experimentation!

So I don't have a recipe of my own, but I have a website that I trust (made many recipe from them) I can translate it for you

To make it salted, you remove the sugar, put a bit more salt and you replace the vanilla with some shredded cheese :) and you add it with the eggs

For 4 people
- 8.5 fl oz of milk
- 8.5 fl oz of half & half
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1.8 oz of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 oz of butter
- 8 slices of hard/dry bread

Put the milk, the cream the vanilla and sugar in a casserole, let it get warmer of low temperature. Then you turn of the fire and put your bread in it until it's well wet
Beat the eggs with a hint of salt, and put your wet bread in it

Put a pan on medium/high temperature, put the butter in it and when it's almost all melted, put your slices of bread in it, when they are golden, remove them from the pan and put them in a plate with an absorbent paper, and put a new slice of bread in the pan.

Spread powdered sugar on the top of your french toast before serving

enjoy :)

I see there is a lot of recipe :
french toast with vanilla ice cream and almonds
french toast in the oven with cranberrie jam
light custard and spice french toast
clementine/mandarine french toast
figues french toast
salted french toast with basil
pear and french toast ...

the list is really long xD

Last edited:
Mind you I've never tried anything like this, but think it might work...
Season a slice of bread with mixture of your choice of dried/powdered savory spices (maybe a curry). French toast it as usual. Top with complementary gravy/sauce/condiment. Interesting idea, Vit, lots of room for very easy experimentation!

i like the way you think, spork. it seems to me though that it might be better to add the dried spices to the egg mixture rather than on the bread itself. wouldn't the spices, especially the fine powdered ones, get unevenly distributed on the bread? dried basil or marjoram, and thyme, with some scallions or chives, mixed with the egg dip should be good for my first attempt at savory french toast. a curry version sounds great, but i think i need a bit of practice before attempting it. as you said, there are so many possible variations with this, spork....:)

Cooking Light recently had a recipe for Gruyere stuffed french toast. I'll see if I still have the issue and PM you the recipe if you want it.

Cooking Light recently had a recipe for Gruyere stuffed french toast. I'll see if I still have the issue and PM you the recipe if you want it.

yes, thank you, dave. sure hope you can find it. gruyere is my all-time favorite swiss--curious to see how this ended up in cooking light.:):)

Back
Top Bottom