Thyme Recipes Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Hey all,

Planted thyme in my herb garden awhile ago and its spreading like wildfire. What I'm looking for are some recipes (of any kind) that really demonstrate the flavour of fresh thyme.

I'm not after recipes that just have thyme in it, I've got plenty of them. I'm after ones that showcase it, if at all possible.

Let me know what you think.

Can you make it into pesto? I would think that would be a lovely way to showcase it. The pasta is a mild flavour and you would definitely get the punch from the thyme.

I like to use this as a sauce for fish and shellfish rather than as a salad dressing although you can use it for that purpose too.

Citrus-Thyme-Scallion Vinaigrette

Yield: Approx. 2 cups

Ingredients:

1 1/4 c. Olive Oil (not extra virgin)
1/3 c. Sherry Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp. Honey
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
2 Tbsp. Fresh Orange Juice
2 Shallots, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme, leaves only, chopped
1/4 c. Scallion, green and white parts, finely chopped but not minced
Fresh Cracked Pepper and Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

In a mixing bowl, combine the shallot, vinegar, mustard, honey, and citrus. Whisk to combine, then slowly add the oil and whisk until emulsified. Add the thyme and scallions and incorporate. Season to taste with the kosher salt and pepper, and add more honey if needed. Let the vinaigrette stand for 1 hour in the fridge to let the flavors develop. Remove the vinaigrette, and let it warm to room temp, about 15-20 minutes before serving.

make a thyme butter (like a chive butter) and slice over broiled/grilled steak or fish. Simple and wonderful! Use as the main seasoning for roasted vegetables with olive oil salt and pepper. Thyme is also a main herb for braised meats like pot roast etc. And herbs can make a lovely fragrant centerpiece on your table too.

When roasting a chicken, especially on the rotisserie, I like to stuff a quartered lemon & a good-sized handful of fresh thyme inside the bird.

Haggis I have a baked Chicken and Leek Risotto recipe that has only about a tablespoon of thyme in it, but it is enough to seriously flavor the entire dish with a heavy hit of flavor. it is not a creamy risotto as you would think of usually (it really ins't a risotto at all if you want to get technical), but it is delicious none the less. If you would like the recipe then just let me know and I will post it once I get home.

Haggis, how about:

Thyme Lemon Mayo - On sandwiches, in tuna/chicken/potato salads or on seafood.

Sprinkled on oven dried/baked tomatoes.

I have a recipe I want to try - Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. Thyme might be a tasty addition. (Will see if I can find it.)

Lemon/thyme/garlic chicken

Can you burn it like incense?

Here are some ideas:

http://www.theherbaltouch.com/iha/thymerec1.html

http://www.flavoursofcanada.ca/cookbook/recipe.cfm?id=23

http://www.jacobsfarm.com/thyme.asp

http://www.dominicandining.com/recipe3.html

Thyme, thyme, thyme is on my side. Oh, yes it is. lol.

Mish, if you could find that ricotta pancake recipe that would be fantastic.

Mmm, might have to get some ricotta to make the pancake recipe. Then I can make some thyme-baked ricotta with the leftovers.

Thanks all for you suggestions.

The pesto idea isn't a bad one, but might be too impractical with thyme. Additionally I have pesto coming out of my ears, my basil plants will not stop growing and I massacred them 2 weeks ago to make the last batch.

Haggis said:
Mish, if you could find that ricotta pancake recipe that would be fantastic.

Mmm, might have to get some ricotta to make the pancake recipe. Then I can make some thyme-baked ricotta with the leftovers.

Thanks all for you suggestions.

The pesto idea isn't a bad one, but might be too impractical with thyme. Additionally I have pesto coming out of my ears, my basil plants will not stop growing and I massacred them 2 weeks ago to make the last batch.

You are welcome, Haggis. Here you go:

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium/Food/2002/05-May/Pancakes0502/Lemon0502.html

I thought a pinch or two of Thyme added to the mix might be tasty.

Last edited:
Baked Chicken and Leek Risotto

½ tablespoon oil
½ leek, sliced thin
1 chicken breast, cubed
1 cup short grain rice
1/8 cup white wine
2 ½ cups chicken stock
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 300 and put a casserole dish with lid in oven to warm. Heat oil in saucepan over med heat. Add leeks and cook till soft.

Add chicken and cook, stirring for 2-3 min or until it gets some color. Add rice and stir to coat well. Cook another minute.

Add wine and stock and bring to boil. Pour into casserole dish and cover. Cook in oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway thru. Remove from oven and stir in parmesan cheese and thyme.

Back
Top Bottom