Duxelles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Here's my method for making duxelles, for taxlady, skillet, and and anyone else that would like it. I'll post those photos again, so they'll be with the recipe.

My method is different from most, since it finishes with a long, slow cook, whereas most just cook it fast, for 8-10 minutes. I think I got this from a James Beard book, but I'm not sure which one. Also, most will tell you to squeeze as much of the mushroom liquid as possible, putting batches of the minced mushrooms in the corner of a towel, and twisting. Then they tell you not to waste the liquid, and suggest ways to use it! I just leave it in there, so as to keep all of that flavor. It cooks off quickly in the beginning, as you can see in the photos. The oil used with the butter makes it easier to get out of the jar, when chilled; of course, all oil could be used, if you don't use butter.

Traditionally, duxelles was a good way to use up mushrooms that had seen their better day. Years ago, when stores had the mushrooms in bulk, after a while the produce managers would put those picked over mushrooms in bags for half price, and that's what I would get a bunch of for duxelles! I'd make a 3 lb batch in my 12" sauté pan, which filled wide mouthed pint jars perfectly. I have made some with creminis, which is even more flavorful, of course, but they weren't available much, back when I did these a lot.

I always used the sauté pan, as they are easier to stir the paste around in, but I was already using that one. So skillets work, too. I transferred it to a smaller skillet, just so it would be deeper, and I wouldn't have to stir it as often on the slow cook.

Duxelles

1 lb mushrooms, chopped very fine, in a food processor, or by hand
4 tb minced shallots or scallions
3 tb butter
1 tb oil
1 tsp salt, or to taste

A. Heat the butter and oil in about a 9" skillet over med-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the shallots, and cook a couple of minutes, until translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until the most of the water has boiled off, and the mushrooms begin separating.
Duxelles, just starting to cook. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Duxelles, after only 4 minutes of cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cook another 7 or 8 minutes or so, stirring more frequently, until the mushrooms begin to brown some.
Duxelles, after 15 min cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Reduce heat to medium, and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Duxelles, transferred to a 4 inch smaller pan, after about 25 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Reduce heat to minimum (I put mine on a flame tamer), and cook another hour or so, stirring occasionally, until the paste reduces to a dark brown paste.
Finished duxelles, reduced to less than 3/4 c, after about 75 minutes of cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This can be refrigerated for a week, or frozen for several months.

Yield: about 3/4 cup

Last edited:
I gotta try this.
Many times ill find some mushrooms pushed to the back of the fridge. I usually toss them in the dehydrator, blend them up and make mushroom powder ( which I sift and get small mushrooms pieces too). Ill add a few scoops to mushroom barley soup for a stew. I think once someone suggested even tossing in in the flour when making a bread.

This is another way I can use up some of those shrooms. Im very particular when using mushrooms. I like the firm, compact and gills completely covered. after a day or two, these qualities disappear , and thats they find their way to the back of the fridge.

This is a fairly forgiving dish. You could almost just toss everything into the pan at once and cook it. However, a quick sauté of onion/shallots and garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients is all you probably need. The salt will actually help the mushrooms release their water.

Also, a splash of vermouth could enhance the dish too.

Back
Top Bottom