Peeling Carrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom always used a knife to peel everything, including potatoes. And she always did it so perfectly and made it look so easy, removing just the peels. Me, I end up peeling off a good portion of the potato along with the skins, so I never mastered that.

I'm like you - never did master peeling a potato with a knife. I do use a knife to peel an apple.

Gillian

There are a few things I can peel with a knife, carrots by scratching them, also parsnips, melons, winter squash, cheese rind, citrus fruit, and I think that's about it. Every other thing that has to be peeled is done with a veggie peeler.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don’t bother peeling any of my vegetables except for onions and winter squash. Carrots, beets , potatoes, cucumbers, I eat with the skin on. I figure the fiber is good for you and it saved me time.

I've never heard of peeling an onion with a peeler. I generally manage to pull the layers of skin off. For convenience I use baby potatoes, which I don't peel - leaves the saucepan so much easier to clean in addition to the all-important time factor. I was going to say I'd never heard of peeling cucumbers but I suppose you'd have to peel them for using with a dip at a buffet.

Gillian

One of the dumbest things Heard about peeling carrots, we went to a food festival and Robert Irvine did a Demo. I like the guy and find him entertaining so I attended the demo. The first thing he said was that he is going to teach us the easiest way to peel a carrot an once we learn this, we will never peel them the old way again. Bottom line is he brings a pot of water up to boil, blanches the carrots, then basically rubs the outer blanched portion off.

Did it work, yes. Would it be a good idea for a restaurant where they may have to peel 100 carrots, possibly. Is it practical for the home chef to peel a few carrots for dinner, No sir. Even if peeling 100 carrots, by the time you get the pot, fill it with water, get it to boil, dump the carrots in, let them blanch, cool them... You could have had a decent percentage peeled already. Peeling tomatoes, absolutely, carrots, naah.

I've never heard of peeling an onion with a peeler. I generally manage to pull the layers of skin off. For convenience I use baby potatoes, which I don't peel - leaves the saucepan so much easier to clean in addition to the all-important time factor. I was going to say I'd never heard of peeling cucumbers but I suppose you'd have to peel them for using with a dip at a buffet.

Gillian

You live in the UK, don't you? Have you ever seen what the most common cucumbers are like in North America? Compared with what we call "English cucumbers", they are thicker skinned, have much larger seeds, and are shorter.

You live in the UK, don't you? Have you ever seen what the most common cucumbers are like in North America? Compared with what we call "English cucumbers", they are thicker skinned, have much larger seeds, and are shorter.
I think peeling cucumbers is going out of style. Most of the ones I've seen in restaurants and at neighborhood potlucks are not peeled.

If we grill it we leave the peels on, if it is for vinegar and onion cucumbers, we leave them on, sandwiches as well.

Don't like any soups whatsoever, so maybe they need peeled in soup?

I peel the larger darker waxy cucumbers, dont peel the pickling/ Kirby cukes or the ones with the lighter thinner skin ( although my wife prefers any cucumber. to be peeled).

Just a small tangent. At least we did not veer off into the best way to peel a hard boiled egg.

I didn't, nope it wasn't me...

Well, we haven't touched on peeling beets yet. My preferred method is to boil the beets and plunge them into ice water. Then, I rub off the peel.

One of the dumbest things Heard about peeling carrots, we went to a food festival and Robert Irvine did a Demo. I like the guy and find him entertaining so I attended the demo. The first thing he said was that he is going to teach us the easiest way to peel a carrot an once we learn this, we will never peel them the old way again. Bottom line is he brings a pot of water up to boil, blanches the carrots, then basically rubs the outer blanched portion off.

Did it work, yes. Would it be a good idea for a restaurant where they may have to peel 100 carrots, possibly. Is it practical for the home chef to peel a few carrots for dinner, No sir. Even if peeling 100 carrots, by the time you get the pot, fill it with water, get it to boil, dump the carrots in, let them blanch, cool them... You could have had a decent percentage peeled already. Peeling tomatoes, absolutely, carrots, naah.

Couldn't be bothered with all that hassle.

Back
Top Bottom