Peeling Carrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You live in the UK, don't you? Have you ever seen what the most common cucumbers are like in North America? Compared with what we call "English cucumbers", they are thicker skinned, have much larger seeds, and are shorter.

I do, yes, and I hadn't, no, until I Googled them just now and can see what you mean. They look a bit like what we call baby cucumbers. I've bought those occasionally, but didn't think to take note of the size of the seeds.

As a child I didn't enjoy the taste of cucumbers, but later, as a teenager, I was having a meal with a friend and her family, who served salad which included cucumber and I didn't like to make a fuss. Now I love it.

Gillian

I do, yes, and I hadn't, no, until I Googled them just now and can see what you mean. They look a bit like what we call baby cucumbers. I've bought those occasionally, but didn't think to take note of the size of the seeds.

As a child I didn't enjoy the taste of cucumbers, but later, as a teenager, I was having a meal with a friend and her family, who served salad which included cucumber and I didn't like to make a fuss. Now I love it.

Gillian

For those who don't know, cucumbers and watermelons are in the same family. Watermelons are not melons. In addition to the carious ways we normally use cucumbers, it placed in a bowl, and sprinkled with a little sugar, then covered and let set in the fridge for 30 minutes or so, they are nearly indistinguishable from watermelon, at least in flavor. There are times of the year that watermelon is hard to come by. So when you can't get it, this substitution can satisfy the craving.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For those who don't know, cucumbers and watermelons are in the same family. Watermelons are not melons. In addition to the carious ways we normally use cucumbers, it placed in a bowl, and sprinkled with a little sugar, then covered and let set in the fridge for 30 minutes or so, they are nearly indistinguishable from watermelon, at least in flavor. There are times of the year that watermelon is hard to come by. So when you can't get it, this substitution can satisfy the craving.

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. So, I could use cucumbers instead of watermelon in the delicious watermelon-feta-mint salad we enjoy so much, and cucumbers are available year-round. Thanks, Chief.

Thanks Chief. The fact that watermelons are in the family, Cucurbitaceae, explains why the rinds work as a great substitute for vegetable marrow. Now, I know that most people have no particular use for vegetable marrow, but in Danish cuisine, they are pickled and used as garnish on smørrebrød (Danish open faced sandwiches).

Peeling ANYTHING!

Just a small tangent. At least we did not veer off into the best way to peel a hard boiled egg.

I didn't, nope it wasn't me...

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. So, I could use cucumbers instead of watermelon in the delicious watermelon-feta-mint salad we enjoy so much, and cucumbers are available year-round. Thanks, Chief.

Princess we'll just pretend the Title has been changed! :LOL:

Sounds yummy GG, thanks for the suggestion Chief.

Larry, did he rub'em with his hands, towel, paper towel? What a mess, I too just stick with peeling (older ones anyhow, young thin skins, no)

and Larry, try peeling eggs with a spoon, crack shell by rolling around under your hand, peel off a starter place (preferably where the air pocket is - although air pockets ae small on fresh eggs) use a teaspoon (not the measuring type but tea and coffee stirrer on the table type), slide it between the egg and shell. Still doesn't work too well with fresh but wonderful with older egg. If I'm making deviled eggs I go to the store and buy some and then apologize to Henrietta and SuzyQ (my hens).

I think he used a towel, but it wa many years ago, so I dont remember. And in all honesty, I lost interest half way through :) so I wasn't paying attention since I knew it was something I'd never do.

Thanks Chief. The fact that watermelons are in the family, Cucurbitaceae, explains why the rinds work as a great substitute for vegetable marrow. Now, I know that most people have no particular use for vegetable marrow, but in Danish cuisine, they are pickled and used as garnish on smørrebrød (Danish open faced sandwiches).
Pickled watermelon rinds are popular in the southern United States. They're great with grilled and smoked meats. I made some recently.
20200603_120655.jpg

That's interesting, but I don't care that much for water melon, so I am unlikely to need to substitute it with cucumber in whatever form.

Gillian

That sounds like a fun experiment. I like surprising the family with odd bits of food trivia.

I will definitely be giving this a try.

I love watermelon! will have to try the cucumber substitute.

I also would like to try pickling rind. I've often wanted to but for some reason have never done it. I think because most of the recipes I've seen makes so much of it - sorta puts me off. Just want to make a couple of jars.

I love watermelon! will have to try the cucumber substitute.

I also would like to try pickling rind. I've often wanted to but for some reason have never done it. I think because most of the recipes I've seen makes so much of it - sorta puts me off. Just want to make a couple of jars.
I have this book, so this is the recipe I use. I make half the recipe and it yields two quarts. I don't water-bath them. I find they keep for months in the fridge.

http://www.oprah.com/food/pickled-w...t is like having,that's tasty all year long."

Last edited:
Thanks GG - probably shopping this afternoon! If the watermelons are a decent price will get one! They haven't come into their best prices here yet.

Did you notice the 'star anise' in the picture? Think I might even pop one into a jar, although the recipe doesn't call for it.

Thanks GG - probably shopping this afternoon! If the watermelons are a decent price will get one! They haven't come into their best prices here yet.

Did you notice the 'star anise' in the picture? Think I might even pop one into a jar, although the recipe doesn't call for it.
I noticed that also.

GG do you add a star anise?

I noticed that also.

GG do you add a star anise?
No, I don't. I use the recipe from the book I have, which has a different picture. I can imagine it would taste good, though.

Back
Top Bottom