Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have a ton of rice in the pantry.

We eat a fair amount of rice so I usually buy a ten pound bag. It's literally half the price per pound of a two pound bag.

Back last March when we we faced with detention and food shortages, I needed rice so on one of our shopping trips I wanted to buy a 10 pound bag. There wasn't any regular long grain rice available. All there was was a 10 pound bag of parboiled rice. I bought it.

Then my daughter was in the same boat and ended up getting 10 pounds of brown rice. Her family wouldn't eat it so she gave it to me.

Not big deal. We'll have no trouble eating it all.

The point of this post is to complain about the cooking instructions on the parboiled rice bag.

The instructions call for a cup of rice and 2¼ cups of water! OK. I don't usually cook parboiled rice but the rice company must know what they are doing. So I went ahead and cooked it that way. Got a pot of watery mush for my troubles.

Since then, I have discovered if you cook it like regular long grain white rice, it comes out perfect. 1 cup of rice, 1½ cups of water, see salt and simmer for 20 minutes. Perfect every time. The good thing about parboiled rice is that it needs little or no rinsing.

The brown rice is in the same boat. The bag calls for too much water. I don't get it. These rice people should know better.

Ya know, I've never even looked at the cooking instructions on a bag of Rice before :LOL: I just make it the way I was taught in my Junior High School Home Economics Class (Mom does really cook ;))

During that time of detention, I was having a heck of a time finding Rice as well. So when I did find it, I bought 50 pounds :blush:
I read up on how to best store it for the long haul.
I rearranged my secondary pantry out in the finished garage for all of the dry/canned goods that I stashed with small handmade signs as to which bag/can to pull first and so on. This has been very helpful when my husband goes, as he calls it, grocery shopping in my homemade supermarket :LOL:

I cook rice the way I cook pasta, lots of water, strain it at the end (once it is tender but chewy). I do this to reduce the arsenic in rice.

Andy, I don't know how fast you'll be using those rices, but I would suggest freezing the brown rice, as it will go rancid, at room temp. I buy in 10 lb bags (maybe more, if they have a deal that day!) at the Indian market, and vacuum pack it in 4 c amounts, to refill the jar on my shelf from (these packs are re-useable, used with dry goods). And for my parboiled rice, I keep it in a vacuum sealed canister, and refill the jar from that - I found that to get a little off smell to it, just stored in a regular container for too long - must be something about whatever is forced into the grain during the parboiling process. It seemed to cook out, that one time it happened, unlike things that go rancid, but I still don't take chances now, and it seems as good as new kept a long time this way.

Ya know, I've never even looked at the cooking instructions on a bag of Rice before :LOL: I just make it the way I was taught in my Junior High School Home Economics Class (Mom does really cook ;))

During that time of detention, I was having a heck of a time finding Rice as well. So when I did find it, I bought 50 pounds :blush:
I read up on how to best store it for the long haul.
I rearranged my secondary pantry out in the finished garage for all of the dry/canned goods that I stashed with small handmade signs as to which bag/can to pull first and so on. This has been very helpful when my husband goes, as he calls it, grocery shopping in my homemade supermarket :LOL:
Have you seen these?

use-first.jpg

Amazon has them.

Andy, I don't know how fast you'll be using those rices, but I would suggest freezing the brown rice, as it will go rancid, at room temp. I buy in 10 lb bags (maybe more, if they have a deal that day!) at the Indian market, and vacuum pack it in 4 c amounts, to refill the jar on my shelf from (these packs are re-useable, used with dry goods). And for my parboiled rice, I keep it in a vacuum sealed canister, and refill the jar from that - I found that to get a little off smell to it, just stored in a regular container for too long - must be something about whatever is forced into the grain during the parboiling process. It seemed to cook out, that one time it happened, unlike things that go rancid, but I still don't take chances now, and it seems as good as new kept a long time this way.

Thanks for the tip.

It's like rice companies are setting people up for failure. Even regular long grain rice calls for too much water. I use a max of 1.5 cups of water per cup of rice or just 1.25 if I'm using the pressure cooker.

I always use twice as much water as rice for brown rice. I add a 1/4 tsp of to 1 or 2 cups of rice. I find it doesn't have as nice of a texture if I leave the salt out. I bring it to a boil. Boil it for 5 to 10 minutes; turn down the heat; and simmer for the balance of an hour, with the lid on. If it's brown basmati, it's a total of 45 minutes, not 60. This has worked well for me for fifty years. I haven't cooked white rice since I cooked Minuter Rice as a kid.

Back
Top Bottom