Thinking about making some pasta pie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking for a filling for a savory pastry that I used to buy at the local pasteleria in Madrid where I grew up. It had currants and pine nuts in it, and I thought it was meat-filled, but my sister said she thinks it had tuna. It had an exotic flavor to it (almost reminded me of something Arabic or Sicilian) and of course as a hungry teenager I never asked what they put in it, but now I live in Florida and I am so craving those pasteles! It was shaped like a small loaf, so it was not the typical empanada shape. Can anyone help?
they are empanadas de cuaresma or de vigilia, they can be meat or fish and both depending on the bakers origin will have raisins or nuts.They used to be only available in the period of lent when I live in Spain.

Memory's Getting Jarred

The quest continues - So I continued to Google (Earth), this time if I could find the pasteleria that sold those lovely savory meat pies. Lo and behold, I found Cafeteria Filipinas, which I remember my family used to frequent when I was a kid. So, I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me, because Filipinas is on Juan Ramon Jimenez, not Pedro Muguruza, and I couldn't use the street view for PedMu because there was construction going on. The confusion is that I lived in Madrid a total of twelve years, in different apartments on both streets, both as a child and later as a young adult.

I just know it was around there somewhere.

Last edited:
Madrid has grown into quite a cosmopolitan metropolis since 2000. I know Café Filippinas ... and of course, The Vet and I have dear client friends who own a restaurant on Juan Ramón Jiménez too ...

Maps on the Internet, are still not totally perfected, in my opinion ...

I would do a search on Madrid´s Pastelerías en Cuzco ... See what comes up ...

Kind regards. Margaux.

I just spoke to my sister, and she said yes, it was Filipinas; she believes that those pastries were their specialty. There were two: the mini-loaf with meat, and the more empanada-like filled with fish.

I haven't been to Madrid since (gulp) 1979.

I just spoke to my sister, and she said yes, it was Filipinas; she believes that those pastries were their specialty. There were two: the mini-loaf with meat, and the more empanada-like filled with fish.

I haven't been to Madrid since (gulp) 1979.
Good luck with your pastry.

Time to think about a visit home. :)

No One There

Thank you, dear - There's no family there - I don't really "come from" there (although I grew up there) and my parents have gone to another dimension. Florida is home for me now.

It's interesting how Facebook considers your hometown where you were born. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Maybe a honeymoon if I met someone nice. :)

Pero siempre tendre un' alma espanol.

Empanadillas Rellenas de Espinacas y Piñones

Buenas Días Patsa,

Here is Basque well known Chef Karlos Arguiñano´s ( The Basque Country ) recipe:

60 grams ( 2 ounces ) pine nuts
1 1/2 pounds Fresh Spinach
4 garlic cloves minced
6 1/2 ounces of ripe red deseeded and peeled tomatoes
3 1/2 ounces shrimp or tuna
2 hard boiled eggs finely chopped
seasoning to taste and salt & black fresh peppercorns ground

To continue on the theme we had begun yesterday, the USA Embassy Row Expat Community knows Pastelería Filipina quite well. The Magazine Office, has this bakery, as an advertiser in our magazine --- It is a small world ...

Well, there are numerous variations on the fillings in which these empanadillas are created and many various ingredients are employed based on regional availability and then, there are Holiday variations ... they are very versatile ...

As confirmed, when I get back to Madrid around the 5th, we shall take a stroll or the Bus up to Filipina and write up a list of the Empanadas and Empanadillas they prepare and take some photos of the bakery, and the avenues located close to the bakery that you mentioned yesterday and I had written down ...

Kind regards.
Margaux Cintrano. :)

I'm looking for a filling for a savory pastry that I used to buy at the local pasteleria in Madrid where I grew up. It had currants and pine nuts in it, and I thought it was meat-filled, but my sister said she thinks it had tuna. It had an exotic flavor to it (almost reminded me of something Arabic or Sicilian) and of course as a hungry teenager I never asked what they put in it, but now I live in Florida and I am so craving those pasteles! It was shaped like a small loaf, so it was not the typical empanada shape. Can anyone help?

Welcome to DC, Patsa.

The first thing that came to mind was a dish called B'stilla (with chicken) I had at a Moroccan restaurant. As I recall, the phyllo dough was covered with powdered sugar. Could this be what you are looking for? (I'll look through my recipes.)

Pastilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom