Charlie D's Ukrainian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nikita, I think you should take thios thread over and add your recipe. I am just ahome cook. But since you'e writen the book you probably/for sure have better recipes.
I'll do it with pleasure! You are welcome to ask me anything you need.
By the way, as we start talking about staffed cabbage, its reseipt may very significantly depending on the region of Ukraine. Besides, in Moldavian, Tatarska, Russian cuisines there is a kind of Golubtsi. Also, while being in Italy I tried a kind of alternative Golubtsi made of Savoy cabbage. Along with cabbage and grape leaves Golubtsi could be made of spinach, beet leaves, nettle leaves and Brassica pekinensis.
2da382a1c8ac.jpg

Hello CharlieD and the others. I'm glad Discuss Cooking called me back to this thread. I'm a total gringo when it comes to these various food groups, and not much of a cook at that. For the family here in Ohio, USA, I taught myself about preparing the cabbage so it would roll nicely into cabbage rolls and learned to do a decent job of it. Then the grandchildren unroll all this work, scrape out the little bit of meat and eat that. The cabbage leaves go into the garbage and I hate to throw food away So I stopped and CharlieD taught me about his lazy cabbage roll recipe, which the grandchildren like, cabbage and all. Me? I like cabbage, never had any I didn't like - raw, boiled, cured into sauerkraut, fried, what ever.

I have tried beet leaves but by the time the beets reach the market here the leaves are in sad condition and that was a waste of time. I had not thought to try all those various leaves but I think I'll stick with cabbage. Thanks for all the information - and especially the photos (I need photos to see what all this food should look like) and thanks for the video about the Serbian food festival. OH MY! Thanks everyone.

One question - are grape leaves worth the hassle? I would have to find some that are sold in a jar and I know they are somewhat expensive.

Last edited:
David Cottrell, as for me they are not. But still somepeople I know do love Golubci only with grape leaves. So, it worth trying just to know whether you like this very specific aroma of grape leaves or not.

Hello CharlieD and the others. I'm glad Discuss Cooking called me back to this thread. I'm a total gringo when it comes to these various food groups, and not much of a cook at that. For the family here in Ohio, USA, I taught myself about preparing the cabbage so it would roll nicely into cabbage rolls and learned to do a decent job of it. Then the grandchildren unroll all this work, scrape out the little bit of meat and eat that. The cabbage leaves go into the garbage and I hate to throw food away So I stopped and CharlieD taught me about his lazy cabbage roll recipe, which the grandchildren like, cabbage and all. Me? I like cabbage, never had any I didn't like - raw, boiled, cured into sauerkraut, fried, what ever.

I have tried beet leaves but by the time the beets reach the market here the leaves are in sad condition and that was a waste of time. I had not thought to try all those various leaves but I think I'll stick with cabbage. Thanks for all the information - and especially the photos (I need photos to see what all this food should look like) and thanks for the video about the Serbian food festival. OH MY! Thanks everyone.

One question - are grape leaves worth the hassle? I would have to find some that are sold in a jar and I know they are somewhat expensive.
David--I would think in Ohio, you can find wild grape leaves growing along dirt roads, pastures, etc. I harvest my own--about to that this weekend. Swiss chard is another option.

Pickled/Marinated tomato.

3 days Recipe

Not really sure what to call them. They are not really pickled, that takes 2 weeks. They are not really marinated, that takes vinegar.
But here it is.
4 cups of water
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon Pickling salt
1 Head of garlic
1 Bunch of Dill
Couple of stalks of Celery
Pinch of hot pepper flakes or to taste
Tomatoes to fill whatever container you have
Use very ripe tomatoes. I cut the big ones. I used a gallon size jar. Dissolved honey and salt in a little bit of hot water then filled the rest with cold tap water. I did not have celery, I'm sure it will be just fine. I end up using 5 cups of water. Keep on the counter for 3 days, then put in refrigerator.

Though honestly, I think it takes at least 5 days for my taste.

and here is the lettuce:

Summer time is time for pickling. Here is some less traditional thing to pickle. Lettuce. Yes lettuce. Was very common at least in Kyiv. Not sure about rest of Ukraine.

For a gallon size jar:
About a half of the head of leaf lettuce. I think that's the name.

2 table spoons salt.
1 small head of garlic.
1/2 of a bunch of dill.
1-2 pieces of rye bread.
Fill with tap water to the top.
Cover with cheesecloth.

It will be ready in 3-4 days.

My parents eat lettuce and drink the juice. I only like the juice.
Try it, you might like it.

Great, thanks!!
Definitely going to try both.
Is the lettuce left on the counter initially too ?
And what happens to the bread, does it kinda break down into the liquid over time ?

Great, thanks!!
Definitely going to try both.
Is the lettuce left on the counter initially too ?
And what happens to the bread, does it kinda break down into the liquid over time ?

Yes, I leave lettuce on the counter for 3-5 days, depending how strong you want. Bread (did I mention to use rye bread?) does break. I usually strain the liquid thru cheese cloth or fine colander.

Be careful doing a Google search on Ukrainian, unless you are in the market for a wife. :ohmy::LOL:

CD

Back
Top Bottom