"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 2
I forgot to put cheese in the fridge overnight. Safe to eat or throw out?

I bought sliced cheese (Havarti semisoft, in case that helps) last night and completely forgot about it until just now (about 15 hours later). It looks OK but I don't know if it's safe to eat??

blackpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,076
Shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,120
I agree with Andy

But if it's Sargento make sure it's not part of the listeria recall
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 9,447
Certain products never see refrigeration until they hit the groshree store. Among these items are butter, eggs, and cheese.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,343
No problem. If there was one you would know (other than a recall as Jennyema mentions).

'Most' cheese can go mouldy eventually, especially where handled. But you will see that right away, it gets a 'bloom' in white/yellow or grey.

Overnight on the counter is not anything to worry about. Again, especially if still in its original packaging unopened. Unopened could possible last for days out and weeks perhaps even months in the fridge.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,017
I forgot to put cheese in the fridge overnight. Safe to eat or throw out?

You'll be fine. I'd eat it. As long as it isn't Sargento on the recall list, as jennyema stated.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Certain products never see refrigeration until they hit the groshree store. Among these items are butter, eggs, and cheese.
Not really true. The warehouses are refrigerated and these products are delivered on refrigerated trucks. In the summer they would be delivering melted butter...

Grocery stores have a vested interest in keeping food fresh as long as possible, that's why perishables are climate controlled at every stage.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

https://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,530
Eat it....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,642
I'll add to the "eat it" chorus. Cheese left out at room temp should be fine. Left in your car for 15 hours in the sun... I'd ditch that.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Eat it....
Just eat it

Eat It - "Weird Al" Yankovic - Vevo
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Certain products never see refrigeration until they hit the groshree store. Among these items are butter, eggs, and cheese.
Huh??? Eggs, maybe....and possibly some cheeses...but there's no way butter could survive traveling hundreds of miles though the desert, in the summer, unrefrigerated, to reach my 'groshree' store, and still be in blocks.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Huh??? Eggs, maybe....and possibly some cheeses...but there's no way butter could survive traveling hundreds of miles though the desert, in the summer, unrefrigerated, to reach my 'groshree' store, and still be in blocks.
In much of Europe, eggs are not refrigerated. It is how they are processed, or less processed, that allows them to not be refrigerated.

Butter in the home doesn't need to be refrigerated as long as it is used in a reasonable amount of time. My grandmother always had butter in a butter dish on the kitchen table.

I totally agree these things need to be refrigerated for transport, because the inside of a truck can reach some really high temperatures.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
In much of Europe, eggs are not refrigerated. It is how they are processed, or less processed, that allows them to not be refrigerated.



Butter in the home doesn't need to be refrigerated as long as it is used in a reasonable amount of time. My grandmother always had butter in a butter dish on the kitchen table.



I totally agree these things need to be refrigerated for transport, because the inside of a truck can reach some really high temperatures.



CD

Si. In Mexico, they don't refrigerate eggs. There are huge stacks of them in the middle of the grocery stores. US gets rid of the protective coating (for some, chicken poop) so we have to refrigerate them here. Other countries, not so much.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,530
I don't refrigerate my butter. It stays in the cupboard. But, then again, I live up here in the frozen tundra...we get a few weeks in the summer where it becomes a bit too greasy...
And as far as eggs go, I have a fridge, so I gotta keep something in there...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Si. In Mexico, they don't refrigerate eggs. There are huge stacks of them in the middle of the grocery stores. US gets rid of the protective coating (for some, chicken poop) so we have to refrigerate them here. Other countries, not so much.
It's not chicken poop that protects fresh eggs but a secretion from the hens with antibiotic properties called the cuticle.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,017
I forgot to put cheese in the fridge overnight. Safe to eat or throw out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's not chicken poop that protects fresh eggs but a secretion from the hens with antibiotic properties called the cuticle.

I was joking, GG. US washes off all the cuticle/chicken poop, so we get to refrigerate our eggs here.

Haven't actually seen much chicken poop on Mexican eggs. When we first visited Mexico many years ago, we were a bit shocked seeing pallets of unrefrigerated eggs stacked in the middle of the stores. We're friends with a lot of restaurant owners there, they seem to know what they're doing! Haven't gotten salmonella yet.

Not sure if the local egg sellers here wash their eggs, but thinking it may be a law.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,076
In Aruba supermarkets that cater to American tourists they refrigerate eggs now. Years ago they did not. Cartons of eggs were stacked on a pallet on the floor. Now, even though they have refrigerated eggs, some are still offered at room temperature in a floor display.

Cuticle or none, you are wise to check the carton you pick up for broken shells. There are always a good %age that are broken. Since all Aruba's eggs come from the US, I assume they are the same washed eggs we get at home.

The American Egg Board tells us refrigerated eggs last 7 times longer than room temperature eggs.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,789
Oh. Oops.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,017
I forgot to put cheese in the fridge overnight. Safe to eat or throw out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In Aruba supermarkets that cater to American tourists they refrigerate eggs now. Years ago they did not. Cartons of eggs were stacked on a pallet on the floor. Now, even though they have refrigerated eggs, some are still offered at room temperature in a floor display.

Cuticle or none, you are wise to check the carton you pick up for broken shells. There are always a good %age that are broken. Since all Aruba's eggs come from the US, I assume they are the same washed eggs we get at home.

The American Egg Board tells us refrigerated eggs last 7 times longer than room temperature eggs.

Heh. I see the Mexican locals checking their eggs. They also rip the tops off their pineapples as they're charged by weight per pineapple on Produce Wednesdays, when the fresh fruits and vegetables come in. It's comical. We don't bother hittting the produce aisle on Wednesdays in Cozumel.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:59 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 14,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
...And as far as eggs go, I have a fridge, so I gotta keep something in there...
Less food=room for more beer.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheese

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.